Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
User avatar
Indy
Posts: 10181
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by Indy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:08 pm

ShelC wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:00 pm
Trade for him now while his value is low!
He is on my list of "just figure out how to get guy here" and one I would happily give up a 1st rounder to make it happen.

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 10181
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by Indy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:08 pm

Maybe Ricky and our 1st this year. :)

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 11117
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by Mori Chu » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:31 am

Nuggets close their practice facility after COVID issues.


User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5408
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by INFORMER » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:12 pm

2020 Draft: Aaron Nesmith - Paul Reed - Reggie Perry - Jalen Smith - Desmond Bane - Rayshaun Hammonds - Sam Merrill - Tre Jones - Tyler Bey

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5408
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by INFORMER » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:18 pm

2020 Draft: Aaron Nesmith - Paul Reed - Reggie Perry - Jalen Smith - Desmond Bane - Rayshaun Hammonds - Sam Merrill - Tre Jones - Tyler Bey

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 10181
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by Indy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:25 am

There is no way this season will finish. If it does, it will be with 50 guys from the G-league playing.

User avatar
The Bobster
Posts: 4202
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:04 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by The Bobster » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:34 am

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:25 am
There is no way this season will finish. If it does, it will be with 50 guys from the G-league playing.
They are probably just secretly hoping to get their 70 games in for each team.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 5764
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by ShelC » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:14 am

Aren't the TV deals for 70 games, which is why that's the magic number?

I do agree that any basketball tourney at this point will probably be a letdown with watered down rosters. I'm not even that excited about the tournament overall. Mentally, I'm missing the draft, free agency and summer league at the moment more than actual basketball.

User avatar
INFORMER
Posts: 5408
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by INFORMER » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:00 am

This report from Cleveland.com may shed light on why Trier isn't a Sun (yet):
Since the season ended, the Cavs have considered a number of possibilities. With limited salary cap space -- and a desire to avoid the tax -- they couldn’t claim Theo Pinson or Allonzo Trier. While they revisited a deal with Trier after he cleared waivers, the former Knicks guard was looking for more money and a different contract structure than the Cavs were willing to give. Members of the front office also questioned his fit alongside young guards Darius Garland, Kevin Porter Jr. and Collin Sexton.
https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2020/06/ ... s-say.html
2020 Draft: Aaron Nesmith - Paul Reed - Reggie Perry - Jalen Smith - Desmond Bane - Rayshaun Hammonds - Sam Merrill - Tre Jones - Tyler Bey

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 11117
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by Mori Chu » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:06 am

Trier isn't good enough to fight with over contracts. Cleveland can have him.

Online
User avatar
Split T
Posts: 8798
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by Split T » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:25 am

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:25 am
There is no way this season will finish. If it does, it will be with 50 guys from the G-league playing.
Maybe I’m being too optimistic, but I think we’ll see less positive tests once they get to Orlando. While it’s not exactly a bubble since Disney employees will come and go, I can’t imagine they’d be any safer back in their home markets. Constant testing, social distancing everywhere but the actual games.
Tyrese Haliburton • Killian Hayes • Kira Lewis Jr. • Devin Vassell • Patrick Williams • Aaron Nesmith • Theo Maledon • Paul Reed

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 10181
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by Indy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:01 pm

Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:25 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:25 am
There is no way this season will finish. If it does, it will be with 50 guys from the G-league playing.
Maybe I’m being too optimistic, but I think we’ll see less positive tests once they get to Orlando. While it’s not exactly a bubble since Disney employees will come and go, I can’t imagine they’d be any safer back in their home markets. Constant testing, social distancing everywhere but the actual games.
I guess it depends on how many people in the Orlando area are dying each day.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 4101
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by specialsauce » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:32 pm

These kids are too thirsty to actually be responsible adults and stay home. This rush of positive tests is not the least bit surprising

Online
User avatar
Split T
Posts: 8798
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by Split T » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:18 pm

There’s also a rush because every nba player had to be tested before going into the bubble.

Are you saying you think they’ll leave the bubble? I guess I’m not sure how the nba plans to enforce that or not, but ya that could make things problematic. I’d guess a lot had been fairly careless during the break, hence why we saw 16 test positive, but that’s why I figured they’d be safer in the bubble. That’s assuming they stay in it though.
Tyrese Haliburton • Killian Hayes • Kira Lewis Jr. • Devin Vassell • Patrick Williams • Aaron Nesmith • Theo Maledon • Paul Reed

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 4101
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by specialsauce » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:14 pm

Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:18 pm
There’s also a rush because every nba player had to be tested before going into the bubble.

Are you saying you think they’ll leave the bubble? I guess I’m not sure how the nba plans to enforce that or not, but ya that could make things problematic. I’d guess a lot had been fairly careless during the break, hence why we saw 16 test positive, but that’s why I figured they’d be safer in the bubble. That’s assuming they stay in it though.
I didn’t mean in the bubble, I’m actually surprised it’s not half the league testing positive right now with all players being tested. I don’t see them as the type to have been sitting at home for 2 months.

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6241
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by In2ition » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:18 pm

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:14 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:18 pm
There’s also a rush because every nba player had to be tested before going into the bubble.

Are you saying you think they’ll leave the bubble? I guess I’m not sure how the nba plans to enforce that or not, but ya that could make things problematic. I’d guess a lot had been fairly careless during the break, hence why we saw 16 test positive, but that’s why I figured they’d be safer in the bubble. That’s assuming they stay in it though.
I didn’t mean in the bubble, I’m actually surprised it’s not half the league testing positive right now with all players being tested. I don’t see them as the type to have been sitting at home for 2 months.
You don't see them having the type of discipline they need to stay safe for the next 2 months?
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 4101
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by specialsauce » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:23 pm

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:18 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:14 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:18 pm
There’s also a rush because every nba player had to be tested before going into the bubble.

Are you saying you think they’ll leave the bubble? I guess I’m not sure how the nba plans to enforce that or not, but ya that could make things problematic. I’d guess a lot had been fairly careless during the break, hence why we saw 16 test positive, but that’s why I figured they’d be safer in the bubble. That’s assuming they stay in it though.
I didn’t mean in the bubble, I’m actually surprised it’s not half the league testing positive right now with all players being tested. I don’t see them as the type to have been sitting at home for 2 months.
You don't see them having the type of discipline they need to stay safe for the next 2 months?
Do you?

User avatar
In2ition
Posts: 6241
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:35 pm

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by In2ition » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:58 am

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:23 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:18 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:14 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:18 pm
There’s also a rush because every nba player had to be tested before going into the bubble.

Are you saying you think they’ll leave the bubble? I guess I’m not sure how the nba plans to enforce that or not, but ya that could make things problematic. I’d guess a lot had been fairly careless during the break, hence why we saw 16 test positive, but that’s why I figured they’d be safer in the bubble. That’s assuming they stay in it though.
I didn’t mean in the bubble, I’m actually surprised it’s not half the league testing positive right now with all players being tested. I don’t see them as the type to have been sitting at home for 2 months.
You don't see them having the type of discipline they need to stay safe for the next 2 months?
Do you?
I mean you have to have a lot of discipline to be one of the 450 best in the world of whatever you do, especially something that so many people would love to be and doesn't require a tremendous amount of money or education to achieve.
"30 wins would be an extremely disappointing season" yeah, I said it and I mean it.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 4101
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by specialsauce » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:58 pm

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:58 am
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:23 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:18 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:14 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:18 pm
There’s also a rush because every nba player had to be tested before going into the bubble.

Are you saying you think they’ll leave the bubble? I guess I’m not sure how the nba plans to enforce that or not, but ya that could make things problematic. I’d guess a lot had been fairly careless during the break, hence why we saw 16 test positive, but that’s why I figured they’d be safer in the bubble. That’s assuming they stay in it though.
I didn’t mean in the bubble, I’m actually surprised it’s not half the league testing positive right now with all players being tested. I don’t see them as the type to have been sitting at home for 2 months.
You don't see them having the type of discipline they need to stay safe for the next 2 months?
Do you?
I mean you have to have a lot of discipline to be one of the 450 best in the world of whatever you do, especially something that so many people would love to be and doesn't require a tremendous amount of money or education to achieve.
I also think they’re 20 something year old millionaires who are used to going out and meeting girls. See: DBook as one example meeting up with the kardashians.

User avatar
Mori Chu
Posts: 11117
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Around the League: Coronavirus Break

Post by Mori Chu » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:05 am

Yeah, not to generalize, but I doubt that the NBA players as a group are being super cautious and social distancing and wearing masks everywhere. Some are, I'm sure, but many either don't know or don't care what to do to be safe.

Post Reply