Suns News: Coronavirus Break

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: Coronavirus Break

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:01 pm
I have never clicked on a Steven A. Smith video.

And I never will.
How about Max Kellerman?
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I thought Book wanting out would've been a legit possibility had we not made some progress this past season. We're nowhere near where we need to be in terms of winning, but this past season was a step in the right direction IMO. Jones made solid moves to make the roster competitive, Monty's the leader the young team needs, Ayton improved (when he played). I definitely think we would've in the mix for the playoffs had Ayton not been a bonehead. We just couldn't afford another 23 win season getting blown out by halftime every night.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Good article on Payne https://arizonasports.com/story/2313667 ... tion-spot/
“He’s got a burst, got a feel for the game that’s hard to teach and he’s still in that age group where he’s still learning and he’s been humbled,” Williams said. “Sometimes you can grab guys like that and put them in a situation and they perform well, so I’m hopeful.”

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t have a problem with Steven A running his mouth. It won’t impact Booker’s decision at all. I’m actually glad as it keeps Booker in the national spotlight. He’s too often just discounted because he’s on the Suns. The Knicks stuff is laughable as they are probably the worst run franchise in the league. Still, maybe it will make sure the suns do what is necessary to build a good team around Book.

Singh

Post by Singh »

I wish there was a way for the NBA or teams to go after journalists for tampering...I mean it is free speech but this affects teams like ours....I had a bigger issue with Dion Sanders an employee of the NFL network actively campaigning to get players (PP2) onto other teams

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:26 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:01 pm
I have never clicked on a Steven A. Smith video.

And I never will.
How about Max Kellerman?

Nope.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

So, one point of confusion. Not only do the Suns have to get within 4 games of the 8th seed after 8 games, they also have to be the 9th seed in order to get to the 2 game play-in tournament, correct? IOW, it they get within 4 but are the 10th seed, they're done, right?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:55 pm
So, one point of confusion. Not only do the Suns have to get within 4 games of the 8th seed after 8 games, they also have to be the 9th seed in order to get to the 2 game play-in tournament, correct? IOW, it they get within 4 but are the 10th seed, they're done, right?
Correct. Even if they are tied at 9th, because normal tie breaker rules apply, and IIRC they don't own the tie breaker against any of the other teams fighting for that spot (and don't play them at all). They have to win all 8 to have a legit shot at making the playoffs, then win two games in a row against the 8th seed. So they have win 10 straight games to make the playoffs.

The real test will be how they play after (if) they lose a game, especially early.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:36 pm
The real test will be how they play after (if) they lose a game, especially early.
I think this will be the case for all of the teams in a similar situation as the Suns. The most important games are the first few.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Know some of us believe less is more when it comes to Ayton and talking 8-) lol but here's some more stuff

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Suns’ Williams ‘blown away’ by Cam Johnson since returning from break

https://arizonasports.com/story/2314277 ... rom-break/
“It feels like guys like Cam (Johnson) and Ty (Jerome) and Jevon (Carter) and all of our young guys have had that first summer away from the game where they’ve had a chance to marinate and think and reflect on their season,” he said Wednesday. “They come back better just from being away from it for a short bit. Looking at their own film, and numbers and talking to their agents and family members — they come back better.”

Johnson is the one guy that jumps out for Williams in the limited time he’s been able to see workouts at the Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum.

“The first day when I saw him when he got back in town, I was blown away at the changes that he’s already made in his body,” he said. “He looks like he added some muscle.”
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://arizonasports.com/story/2314197 ... o-orlando/
“We ain’t come to play games,” Ayton said. “Y’all can be in front of the cameras and smiling. We (are) smiling, but we coming to tear y’all’s heads off in a minute.”
Don't tell us. Show us.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Good stuff, bg, thanks! I can't help but get a little excited for the return of Suns basketball in spite of the conditions.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:49 pm
Know some of us believe less is more when it comes to Ayton and talking 8-) lol but here's some more stuff

People on this board don’t recognize how good he already is.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Comes across as a pretty clever dude also .. and totally coachable without attitude, which is great.

Barring a total FO meltdown, I'd take a guess and say Booker isn't going anywhere with him on the team (Steven A Smith :roll: )

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:35 am
bajanguy008 wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:49 pm

People on this board don’t recognize how good he already is.
I think we do. I think some of us, including me, get frustrated with certain parts of his game that we wish were different. For me, I want him to be more aggressive attacking the basket when he gets it down low. Too many soft jumpers.

It can be true that he has things he needs to work on and that he’s already really good. Especially right before the season shut down, he was playing really well. I’m excited to see how he finished out the season and what he does next year as well!

I remember Marion used to get frustrated because people would point out little things he didn’t do or didn’t do well and he was always upset because he did so much other stuff.

I think we all know Ayton is good. We probably point out his flaws a little too much, but our ceiling as a team goes as high as he does.

Split T

Post by Split T »

One thing that still bugs me a bit, I keep seeing Jaren Jackson Jr ranked above Ayton on people’s lists of young players. I don’t think it’s really been close, Ayton has been way better. Jackson can shoot and that’s a nice skill to have, but he was also supposed to be a top tier defensive talent. He had like the 5th worst defensive RPM this year. Ayton is unquestionably a better defensive player. He produces more offensively as well. No reason for JJJ to be listed above him.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

How many big men in the NBA would you say are clearly better than Ayton right now?

Anthony Davis
Joel Embiid
Nikola Jokic
Karl Anthony Towns?
LaMarcus Aldridge? (no)

Any others? Giannis is better, but he isn't really the same position as Ayton. So don't we basically have a top-5 big man in the NBA? Who did I miss?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:51 am
One thing that still bugs me a bit, I keep seeing Jaren Jackson Jr ranked above Ayton on people’s lists of young players. I don’t think it’s really been close, Ayton has been way better. Jackson can shoot and that’s a nice skill to have, but he was also supposed to be a top tier defensive talent. He had like the 5th worst defensive RPM this year. Ayton is unquestionably a better defensive player. He produces more offensively as well. No reason for JJJ to be listed above him.
JJJ still tries to block everything and gets in foul trouble a lot. He's a very aggressive, energetic defender, but he's got a ways to go.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan