Suns News: Coronavirus Break

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Suns News: Coronavirus Break

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:28 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:16 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:52 pm
If they had the inside track and guarantee that they could sign FVV, I'm all for it.
I'm fine with signing Jordan McLaughlin and trading for T.J. McConnell.
You think Jordan McLaughlin is a starting caliber PG, let alone an upgrade from Rubio?

I don't think we're worse. The shooting would improve. And McLaughlin has upside. Regardless, McLaughlin+McConell > Rubio + ??? that we had this season. And the combo of McLaughlin and McConnell would likely leave us with an extra $10 million to invest in other parts of the roster.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Don’t remember seeing McLaughlin play at all this year, but his numbers in 30 games were solid.

Inf have you watched him much? Does he hold up defensively? He’s pretty small

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:21 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:13 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:07 pm
We actually weren’t bad this year...just need to bump everyone from average to good. We had 9 take 100 3’s:

Booker - 36%
Oubre - 35%
Johnson - 40%
Saric - 34%
Rubio - 35%
Baynes - 35%
Bridges - 35%
Carter - 39%
Kaminsky - 35%

So we’ve got 2 good and 7 average. Toronto had 6 good and 2 average. And think it’s important to note their 2 average guys are creating a lot of their own looks.
There were 242 guys this year that took at least 100 threes. Half of them shot better than 7 of our 9 guys above. Only Cam and Carter were better than league average.
True, part of what I was hoping to relay. We play a lot of guys that are capable of shooting. But they’re all just average. Need to be above average. Especially the ones just taking spot up 3’s. I can live with Booker and Oubre at 36%, though Booker should be closer to 40 with his reputation.
I could see Booker's going up if he improves his pull-up 3s and gets more open looks with another perimeter attacker next to him.
As far as the rest of the team, if they improved by 3% more and got up to around 38% roughly, they would have improved their PPG to 115 a game as a team. That would have made them a top 10 team I believe by net rating.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:43 pm
In2ition wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:
If they had the inside track and guarantee that they could sign FVV, I'm all for it.
You think Jordan McLaughlin is a starting caliber PG, let alone an upgrade from Rubio?

I don't think we're worse. The shooting would improve. And McLaughlin has upside. Regardless, McLaughlin+McConell > Rubio + ??? that we had this season. And the combo of McLaughlin and McConnell would likely leave us with an extra $10 million to invest in other parts of the roster.
Is McLaughlin a FA? And would he be a better option then say going after Shane Larkin?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Larkin’s numbers overseas are pretty fantastic. He did say he won’t come back to the nba unless he has a guaranteed 25 minute rotation spot. Not sure we have that to offer if rubio is still here.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Strongly disagree.

I do agree that we don't need a traditional creator next to Booker, but we do need a player that''s able to hit spot up 3s at a high level. McConnell is a worse outside shooter than Rubio. Having that combo of 3rd-tier PGs would be a massive downgrade.

There are a lot of PGs who can do well in a limited role, but do not hold up when given increased time and usage.

There will be a few quality backup PGs on the market this summer who we can go after instead of a guaranteed downgrade at the position for a possible upgrade at others.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:35 pm
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:

Strongly disagree.

I do agree that we don't need a traditional creator next to Booker, but we do need a player that''s able to hit spot up 3s at a high level. McConnell is a worse outside shooter than Rubio. Having that combo of 3rd-tier PGs would be a massive downgrade.

There are a lot of PGs who can do well in a limited role, but do not hold up when given increased time and usage.

There will be a few quality backup PGs on the market this summer who we can go after instead of a guaranteed downgrade at the position for a possible upgrade at others.
I agree with bazz. I don't want the PG equivalent of Saric.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

think we can find a way to turn Oubre + a pick into Dinwiddie?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:36 pm
Shabazz wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
In2ition wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

Strongly disagree.

I agree with bazz. I don't want the PG equivalent of Saric.
I think you’re being generous to Scottish Law Firm duo of McConnell and McLaughlin with that comp.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Except his time and usage wouldn't need to be significantly increased. We'd be looking at an even split between the two of them; McConnell playing 24 minutes a game is hardly a huge increase in time and usage. And his usage certainly wouldn't increase if he is sharing the court with essentially 3 20 ppg scorers; if anything, his usage would go down.

And 48 minutes probably wouldn't even go to the Mc-combo; I'm sure we would field lineups where Booker shares the backcourt with, say, Allonzo Trier. I would also potentially factor in Leandro Bolmaro to get time as a primary ballhandler/facilitator, but I honestly don't know how NBA-ready he would be.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

And there is a reason McConnell has been a regular reserve on back to back teams that are signifcantly better than the Suns are/were this season.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:17 pm
And there is a reason McConnell has been a regular reserve on back to back teams that are signifcantly better than the Suns are/were this season.
Because he's had better teammates?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

And because he is good.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:46 pm
And because he is good.
He's a fine reserve guard who can probably start for mediocre-to-bad teams, and he'd certainly be a good addition to the Suns.

Inferring that the Sixers were significantly better than the Suns because of McConnell is a stretch.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

That's not what I was inferring. My point is that he was playing roles on teams superior to the Suns; so we're not talking about someone who is playing meaningless minutes on a bottom feeder. Getting guys who contribute to winning situations is something we should try to be doing.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Never thought Mikal would have lied that he is in Orlando but yes he could have been in quarantine.
Anyways finally visual confirmation

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

We know Kelly always dividing opinion here my guySaaaauce lol :lol: so I putting Gina's tweet here for lil context :)

Last edited by bajanguy008 on Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

At this point I can't imagine Rubio or Baynes showing up. With the time off, it'd be hard for them to jump in next week and start playing even gradually in the exhibitions to ramp up for the real games. Suns are tight lipped just to keep the focus on the guys who are there and not let it be a distraction.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think Rubio could still come, assuming he’s healthy. If he was one of the positive tests, he may choose to sit out. I wouldn’t be surprised at all though if Baynes just decided not to play. It’s really just 8 pointless games to him. He’s a FA, he had a pretty good season, he’s gonna get a nice paycheck next season, no reason for him to risk that.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:05 am
Never thought Mikal would have lied that he is in Orlando but yes he could have been in quarantine.
Anyways finally visual confirmation

Hammer time. You can't touch this.
"Be Legendary."