Suns News: Coronavirus Break

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Suns News: Coronavirus Break

Post by ShelC »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks for the update, Shel.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:27 am
Suns are tight lipped just to keep the focus on the guys who are there and not let it be a distraction.
Honestly, I think that is the direction that was given to the 22 NBA teams. Most teams aren't really clarifying who is and isn't present, and the reasons for it. That news comes from the actual player, if he decides to make a public statement.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Steve Blake was one inclusion on the coaching staff that I felt good about. I can't know for certain if he was actually good at his job, but his departure doesn't seem like a good thing.

I'm wondering if these departures are essentially layoffs.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:56 pm
Steve Blake was one inclusion on the coaching staff that I felt good about. I can't know for certain if he was actually good at his job, but his departure doesn't seem like a good thing.

that is my assumption. Aren't contracts for coaches up already? Were they on one year deals?

I wonder how many other folks in the org were laid off.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

The full article on Mikal that ShelC shared the tweets earlier. Decent read plus it has video to emphasize the Hitch we've all talked about this season

https://arizonasports.com/story/2312218 ... ssion=true
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Thanks for posting the article. Was it ever determined how or why the hitch came about? You don't usually see a shooter develop a hitch like after such success in college. It was noticeable as soon as we drafted him too IIRC, like he changed something up after the draft.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Indy wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:37 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:56 pm

that is my assumption. Aren't contracts for coaches up already? Were they on one year deals?

I wonder how many other folks in the org were laid off.
This seems too penny-wise and pound-foolish for even Sarver to do. But we'll see.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:12 am
Thanks for posting the article. Was it ever determined how or why the hitch came about? You don't usually see a shooter develop a hitch like after such success in college. It was noticeable as soon as we drafted him too IIRC, like he changed something up after the draft.
Not sure but I'm just glad that the coaches made it a point of emphasis cause we were all wondering if anyone was addressing it.
Will be good if he can build on the 39% he was shooting last couple months fore the shutdown

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yeah, I'm not giving up on Bridges now when he's just turned the corner.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Now I'm starting to think Rubio won't be playing in Florida and that's the main reason we signed Payne. When Williams found out Rubio won't be playing, he went to Jones and said, "Let's bring the Payne!"
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Monty Williams offers some perspective to the annoying clamoring for Ayton to shoot 3s:
“The one thing that DA does for us that no one else can do at that level is put pressure on the rim. That frees up so many guys, so I don’t want to take that away, but he has worked on his three-point range. He’s getting more arc on his shot. He’s been really diligent about getting lift with his legs and getting it up in the air.

“I’ve always told guys if you work on something with intention, you should do it in the game, so I want him to have confidence to do that. We’ve never held him back from shooting out there because we feel like he can and will be able to do that but we don’t want him to ever forget about his ability to dominate the box.”
https://arizonasports.com/story/2327083 ... -him-back/

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:31 pm
Wow , wasn't expecting a Cam Payne hype video :)
I will say this tho, my first reaction watching the G League highlights was that his release looked low and he doesn't really elevate on his shot. Yes it's edited highlights but I'm still surprised he's effective on pullups

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The physical traits are there with Payne, if the shot falls in games he can be a big boost on the perimeter. Nice low risk flier on a former lotto pick. He's 25, so maybe it just took a few years for him to mature and find his game. Orlando is a perfect place to get a look at a guy like him.

Ayton...I'm fine with some pick and pops but we don't need him turning into Sam Perkins and falling in love with the 3. He's effective inside but as others have noted, doesn't draw enough fouls as it is.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:40 pm
Monty Williams offers some perspective to the annoying clamoring for Ayton to shoot 3s:
“The one thing that DA does for us that no one else can do at that level is put pressure on the rim. That frees up so many guys, so I don’t want to take that away, but he has worked on his three-point range. He’s getting more arc on his shot. He’s been really diligent about getting lift with his legs and getting it up in the air.

“I’ve always told guys if you work on something with intention, you should do it in the game, so I want him to have confidence to do that. We’ve never held him back from shooting out there because we feel like he can and will be able to do that but we don’t want him to ever forget about his ability to dominate the box.”
https://arizonasports.com/story/2327083 ... -him-back/
Promising. I’m ok with Ayton taking 1 or 2 3’s a game, but I’m not really interested in turning him into a pick n pop guy. Maybe a trail 3 every now and then or have him step out to the corner on a Booker Iso.

I’d much rather see him work on attacking the rim from the mid post.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Idk who was positive, but they could have been and then come to Orlando late, have to quarantine for another so many days before joining the rest of the team. We don't know, perhaps Baynes and Rubio are there, but going through protocol first.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:54 pm
Yes it's edited highlights but I'm still surprised he's effective on pullups
Should I be impressed that he looks pretty good, or depressed that he comes off the street and scores on just about EVERYONE on the roster? :lol: :cry:

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:20 pm
The physical traits are there with Payne, if the shot falls in games he can be a big boost on the perimeter. Nice low risk flier on a former lotto pick. He's 25, so maybe it just took a few years for him to mature and find his game. Orlando is a perfect place to get a look at a guy like him.
Agreed.

Cap

Post by Cap »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:54 pm
Get used to that shoes-squeaking-on-hardwood soundtrack, since there will be no fans in Orlando.