Suns News: Coronavirus Break

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: Coronavirus Break

Post by Superbone »

First the spikeball video was hilarious and then what's up with these two assistant coaches disappearing from the team? Are we sure this isn't just for Florida?
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:59 pm
First the spikeball video was hilarious and then what's up with these two assistant coaches disappearing from the team? Are we sure this isn't just for Florida?
yes. duane confirmed it isn't just for FL. they are no longer part of the org. no talk of why

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Honestly, I think it's better that we don't know why. I hate how much of that trash has been leaked to the public over the last decade +. If Sarver + the front office don't need to publicly denounce someone when they leave the org, that's a step toward maturity.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:14 am
Superbone wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:59 pm
yes. duane confirmed it isn't just for FL. they are no longer part of the org. no talk of why
I'm surprised that Steve Blake was let go for some reason. If I'm remembering right, I think I read an article early on in the season about how much he was helping some of the younger guards on the team.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:16 pm
On the other hand, I think Fred Van Vleet would be absolutely perfect for this team. But I just don't see him leaving Toronto.

Part of my desire to deal Rubio to Golden State is to free the cap space for this offseason, and potentially, for 2021. I would make a run at VanVleet, but I certainly would count on landing him.
I agree on FVV. The Rubio to GSW for the TPE is something that the Locked on Warriors just talked about as a possibility. Do you think it's just for the TPE or do you think it involves a trade asset like a pick?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wow. Suns' ball on TV next week!

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:39 am
INFORMER wrote:
On the other hand, I think Fred Van Vleet would be absolutely perfect for this team. But I just don't see him leaving Toronto.

Part of my desire to deal Rubio to Golden State is to free the cap space for this offseason, and potentially, for 2021. I would make a run at VanVleet, but I certainly would count on landing him.
I agree on FVV. The Rubio to GSW for the TPE is something that the Locked on Warriors just talked about as a possibility. Do you think it's just for the TPE or do you think it involves a trade asset like a pick?
It wouldn't be for just the TPE. I think the deal would be a 2021 1st round pick, the worse of their pick and Minnesota's pick, and maybe one of their 2020 second rounders.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:27 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:39 am
INFORMER wrote:

It wouldn't be for just the TPE. I think the deal would be a 2021 1st round pick, the worse of their pick and Minnesota's pick, and maybe one of their 2020 second rounders.
If they had the inside track and guarantee that they could sign FVV, I'm all for it.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Hard to see FVV leaving Toronto. They’re really good. Lowry is getting older and he hasn’t been a hindrance to minutes anyway. FVV/Siakim/Anunoby is solid going forward in the East. Can’t imagine Toronto has any plans to move on either.

He would be very nice here though and I’d take him in a heartbeat.

Split T

Post by Split T »

One quick thing about Toronto I realized while looking at FVV stats...everyone on that team shoots.

They had 8 guys take at least 100 3’s, here they are in order of attempts:

Lowry - 35%
FVV - 39%
Siakim - 36%
Powell - 40%
Davis - 40%
Anunoby - 38%
Ibaka - 40%
Gasol - 40%

Wouldn’t that be nice

Split T

Post by Split T »

We actually weren’t bad this year...just need to bump everyone from average to good. We had 9 take 100 3’s:

Booker - 36%
Oubre - 35%
Johnson - 40%
Saric - 34%
Rubio - 35%
Baynes - 35%
Bridges - 35%
Carter - 39%
Kaminsky - 35%

So we’ve got 2 good and 7 average. Toronto had 6 good and 2 average. And think it’s important to note their 2 average guys are creating a lot of their own looks.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:07 pm
We actually weren’t bad this year...just need to bump everyone from average to good. We had 9 take 100 3’s:

Booker - 36%
Oubre - 35%
Johnson - 40%
Saric - 34%
Rubio - 35%
Baynes - 35%
Bridges - 35%
Carter - 39%
Kaminsky - 35%

So we’ve got 2 good and 7 average. Toronto had 6 good and 2 average. And think it’s important to note their 2 average guys are creating a lot of their own looks.
There were 242 guys this year that took at least 100 threes. Half of them shot better than 7 of our 9 guys above. Only Cam and Carter were better than league average.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:54 pm
Hard to see FVV leaving Toronto.
Yeah, he is Canadian, Masai has never hesitated to hand out big money, and the team is winning. The only qualm I can see VanVleet having is having to play the 2 next to Lowry. But Lowry just has one year left on his deal, so I think that would be a shortsighted reason for him to leave.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:13 pm
There were 242 guys this year that took at least 100 threes. Half of them shot better than 7 of our 9 guys above. Only Cam and Carter were better than league average.
Yeah, it was kind of strange for Jones to put such a priority on shooting, only to have a team largely mediocre at it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
Yeah, he is Canadian, Masai has never hesitated to hand out big money, and the team is winning. The only qualm I can see VanVleet having is having to play the 2 next to Lowry. But Lowry just has one year left on his deal, so I think that would be a shortsighted reason for him to leave.
I am curious what it would take to get him away from Toronto. I think it would have to be a max years deal, probably starting at 15M? He is at 9 this year. Not sure what the cap will be like.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In2ition wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:52 pm
If they had the inside track and guarantee that they could sign FVV, I'm all for it.
I'm fine with signing Jordan McLaughlin and trading for T.J. McConnell.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:15 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
I am curious what it would take to get him away from Toronto. I think it would have to be a max years deal, probably starting at 15M? He is at 9 this year. Not sure what the cap will be like.
Of course, we don't know what will happen with the cap, but right now, $15 million is anywhere close to the max. The Max for VanVleet would start in the mid to upper $20 million range.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:07 pm

Booker - 36%
Oubre - 35%
Johnson - 40%
Saric - 34%
Rubio - 35%
Baynes - 35%
Bridges - 35%
Carter - 39%
Kaminsky - 35%

True, part of what I was hoping to relay. We play a lot of guys that are capable of shooting. But they’re all just average. Need to be above average. Especially the ones just taking spot up 3’s. I can live with Booker and Oubre at 36%, though Booker should be closer to 40 with his reputation.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:16 pm
In2ition wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:52 pm
I'm fine with signing Jordan McLaughlin and trading for T.J. McConnell.
You think Jordan McLaughlin is a starting caliber PG, let alone an upgrade from Rubio?

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:19 pm
Indy wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:15 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
Of course, we don't know what will happen with the cap, but right now, $15 million is anywhere close to the max. The Max for VanVleet would start in the mid to upper $20 million range.
Yeah I know the max for him is above 15 (unless cap explodes). That is why I said max years, not max dollars. He isn't a max $$ player, but I am curious to see what Toronto offers him.