Suns News: Coronavirus Break

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: Suns News: Coronavirus Break

Post by specialsauce »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:50 am
specialsauce wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:35 am
We already have our 1A and 1B. It’s time to get real contributors around DA and Book
Not sure we do. Devin looks like a great 2nd star, and Ayton has not shown the on-court mentality to be either, just the off-court talk.

I think any of us would instantly surrender any of them for the real difference makers around the league, so that tells a lot about how we truly feel about our Top two guys.
I’ll disagree I think we can win with them surrounded by the right role players and not Javon Carter and Frank Kaminsky

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

3rdside wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:29 am
Bridges is only in his second season and averaged 14ppg over his last 7 games - there was a noticeable improvement in his game as the season went on. He’s a defensive hound, strong 3pt% and is on track to be a legit starter.
7 games doesn't move the needle. and it certainly doesn't render Oubre redundant. Bridges has promise, but he also had a couple of really awful months of basketball. So I can't ignore those months and live off of 7 games.
3rdside wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:29 am
I argued that you can’t ignore the contract situation - based on league wide SF contracts Kelly is on target for ~$25m a year, so if we make a straight swap trade (and ignoring all other roster moves) we’d have about $8.5m in additional cap room in 2 years with Gordon on the books for only $16.5m.

I’m starting to think that amount of extra cap room isn’t worth the risk and would need to be compensated for.

So we’re probably waiting till next summer (if Gordon’s still in Orlando) as Kelly’s contract demands might force the issue ... at $30m per, Gordon will start to look a lot more appealing.
Honestly, the money situation in the NBA is one big question mark. So I don't think you can count on Oubre getting a big payday.

Regardless, I'm not saying Oubre is untouchable. It just needs to be a great offer. He is young, and has made drastic improvements over the last two seasons. His value speaks for itself, and you don't have to try to make excuses for this stat, or that stat, or blame a part of his game on who he plays with, or hope that he returns to the form he showed two years ago.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:50 am
specialsauce wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:35 am
We already have our 1A and 1B. It’s time to get real contributors around DA and Book
Not sure we do. Devin looks like a great 2nd star, and Ayton has not shown the on-court mentality to be either, just the off-court talk.
People talk about Doncic being crowned too fast. We had people proclaiming Ayton the best player from that draft after a month and a half of great play in the very same season he was busted for a banned substance that put his team in a terrible position.

With that said, I think the Suns can do well with Ayton and Booker as their best players. If Ayton continues to improve on what he showed in February, the Suns will be fine in terms of star talent.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Stats will tell you pretty much anything if you want them to - 7 games is nothing in the whole scheme of things but Bridges is a starter. If Bruce Bowen was, Bridges is.

On Oubre - if he isn’t getting a crazy contract then he’s way more valuable to us / agree it will need to be a serious offer to even consider off loading him.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Agreed on Booker and Ayton as a legit 1A and 1B.

Indy

Post by Indy »

3rdside wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 pm
They have yet to play a single playoff game. I have high hopes for them, but just can't anoint anyone a Finals MVP level player without ever being in the playoffs.

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:24 pm
3rdside wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:10 pm
They have yet to play a single playoff game. I have high hopes for them, but just can't anoint anyone a Finals MVP level player without ever being in the playoffs.
Fair enough, but we do have the league’s ‘best’ starting 5 and I’m putting a lot of that stat on Booker and Ayton, small sample size be dammed.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I think these 8 games in the bubble will tell us a lot. I think Bridges is on the verge of a breakout along with Ayton. 8 games may not be enough for INF, but it's a continuation on what was going on at the end of the season, where the hitch in his shot may finally have been smoothed out.
We also get a chance to see a healthy Booker and Cam building on his rookie season.
It will also be interesting to see if Frank's shooting helps the team, and if his finishing problems at the rim are fixed with a healthy leg now.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

3rdside

Post by 3rdside »

All that talk of Gordon and his high flying, we could do with some on our team .. I just read Gerald Green is a free agent, 34yo, foot surgery 6 months ago, didn’t play this season / 9.2pts a game last season and a career .351 3pt%. $1.5m per his last contract.

Consider me interested.

Indy

Post by Indy »

3rdside wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:55 pm
All that talk of Gordon and his high flying, we could do with some on our team .. I just read Gerald Green is a free agent, 34yo, foot surgery 6 months ago, didn’t play this season / 9.2pts a game last season and a career .351 3pt%. $1.5m per his last contract.

Consider me interested.
I am not sure how athletic he has looked of late, but I always appreciate how he used to try and get the big guys involved. Even when we had 3 PGs on our team, he was seemingly the only guy looking to make easy buckets for Len around the rim.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Suns are having a zoom call tonight for season ticket holders. Started a few minutes ago. It is Monty & Jones, moderated by K-Ray. So far it is just pleasantries...

Indy

Post by Indy »

I will say this--Monty seems like a real guy. He isn't fronting. He is just talking, and it makes sense, easy to understand, and no bullshit. I am not sure how good of a basketball mind he is, but easy to see why people like playing for him (and like hiring him to coach a team).

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:15 pm
The Suns are having a zoom call tonight for season ticket holders. Started a few minutes ago. It is Monty & Jones, moderated by K-Ray. So far it is just pleasantries...
Anything interesting?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:19 pm
I will say this--Monty seems like a real guy. He isn't fronting. He is just talking, and it makes sense, easy to understand, and no bullshit. I am not sure how good of a basketball mind he is, but easy to see why people like playing for him (and like hiring him to coach a team).
If nothing else, Monty is always regarded as a real, straight forward person. There's no fakeness, no agenda, no double talk. There have been knocks on him regarding his coaching and systems being too simple or him taking teams to a certain level and then plateauing, hopefully he's learned more throughout the years as an assistant and can stay on with the team and continue taking it to new levels of success as needed.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

16 NBA players test positive as restart nears
https://www.fox5ny.com/sports/16-nba-pl ... tart-nears

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:24 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:19 pm
If nothing else, Monty is always regarded as a real, straight forward person. There's no fakeness, no agenda, no double talk. There have been knocks on him regarding his coaching and systems being too simple or him taking teams to a certain level and then plateauing, hopefully he's learned more throughout the years as an assistant and can stay on with the team and continue taking it to new levels of success as needed.
All this. At least in this moment in time. He is the perfect coach for this team. He's one of the few good things Sarver has been a part of.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:51 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:15 pm
Anything interesting?
No. the only thing close to interesting is Monty saying they simplified the playbook for Orlando. They figured with such a short "training camp" and only being allowed in the designated gym 3 hours a day (for practice, drills, treatment, etc.) they will need to focus and make it simpler for the players.

Indy

Post by Indy »

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Games are early
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)