Game Day (C19 Scrimmage 3): Raptors (46-18) @ Suns (26-39) Tues 7/28/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Game Day (C19 Scrimmage 3): Raptors (46-18) @ Suns (26-39) Tues 7/28/20

Post by INFORMER »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:35 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:08 am
Cam is fine height-wise, but he is not a good defender or rebounded, and gets pushed around a ton. He isn't even close to being a starting 4 on a good team. If the Bridges we saw the last 15 games in for real, he can start at the 3 for a good team, and Kelly was fine at the 4 (but neither are ideal there).
Although that has been generally the case this season , much like Mikal I am watching what he does now and thinking what it can mean going forward.
VanVleet got him a couple times on switches but for me he wasn't a glaring weakness y'day and his boxing out was fine. I'm probably watching him closer than most as I know we generally focus only on his 3pt shooting to gauge his performance
Ibaka didn't get any offensive rebounds against him and I remember laughing bcuz the first off reb came when Frank checked in. RHJ who's a good rebounder for his size was trying to muscle him around and he was solid boxing him out also.
I like how he is running the court but Lowry got him on charges but he does that to the best of them. He been ok attacking off one foot jumps but he has to go up stronger off two feet. I find he got blocked multiple times during the season trying to go up in the paint on close in shots.
Finally like EJ said I also pay attention to his pull up jumpers and he hit a couple playing with the bench guys game before and another one y'day which will be key

I wish I was into video editing to maybe back up my claims lol but I just believe he can develop into a solid scorer and not just someone we hopes hit some 3s nightly
Apologies for the long post :oops:
I appreciate the detailed analysis. Good post.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:24 pm
With a team this young, you have to take positivity and motivation wherever you can get it. These exhibition wins don't affect our record, but it's encouraging that we have played well.
Us and the Raptors are in two totally different places. Raptors are coming off the championship. We need to play like we have to win every single game. It's all about growth with us.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

There’s not enough basketball for Oubre. Send him out. Ball sticks to him, we need the ball moving. Bridges is immensely more talented of the two all around, and can’t pay a bench player $20 mil per . Maybe they really are holding Kelly out so they don’t risk injury and preserve his trade value.

And no, I don’t see Oubre and Bridges both starting as a long term option. Kelly forced himself into being the first or second option- he shoots way too damn much. If he would play team ball then okay, but he has no ability to pass.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:32 pm
There’s not enough basketball for Oubre. Send him out. Ball sticks to him, we need the ball moving. Bridges is immensely more talented of the two all around, and can’t pay a bench player $20 mil per . Maybe they really are holding Kelly out so they don’t risk injury and preserve his trade value.

And no, I don’t see Oubre and Bridges both starting as a long term option. Kelly forced himself into being the first or second option- he shoots way too damn much. If he would play team ball then okay, but he has no ability to pass.
According to inside sources, coming from Flex in Jersey, Oubre is 100% healthy and him not playing is political.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:46 pm
specialsauce wrote:

According to inside sources, coming from Flex in Jersey, Oubre is 100% healthy and him not playing is political.
That’s pretty obvious from seeing him dunk. Political how so?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:24 pm
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

That I don't know. Probably some beef between him and management, I'd guess.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:

He is 3rd on the team in FGAs and 3rd in Usage%. That is right where he should be. He is clearly the 3rd option.

Indy

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:52 am
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

I got that impression from Leander in Gina's podcast, too. Basically said he is healthy physically, but Kelly said he needs to be healthy mentally and spiritually before he plays. Hmm.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Lots of different things being said about Oubre. First Kelly says he's ready to go and it's up to the team. The team says he's healthy but needs to make some fitness goals. Now the team is waiting on him to be mentally ready. I don't know man. Maybe he has a case of the TJ Warrens.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I hope not.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

He's in a contract year and the team has a slim chance at the playoffs. Can't fault him for not playing or even management holding him back to give Bridges and Cam the reps.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:22 pm
He's in a contract year and the team has a slim chance at the playoffs. Can't fault him for not playing or even management holding him back to give Bridges and Cam the reps.
He hasn't finished the first year of his 2 year contract, so he isn't in a contract year until we start the 20-21 season.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Well yea but this is the same as the final few games on late March/April, when he wouldn't have been playing anyway. Except now it's later in the summer and potentially getting re-injured could impact next season as well. Just doesn't seem worth the risk. And the Suns may be holding him out just the same to pursue trades in the offseason or next season.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:09 am
In2ition wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:52 am
specialsauce wrote:
In2ition wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

I got that impression from Leander in Gina's podcast, too. Basically said he is healthy physically, but Kelly said he needs to be healthy mentally and spiritually before he plays. Hmm.
Spiritually???

Get this dude out of here. I can’t handle this nonsense.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Indy wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:46 am
specialsauce wrote:

He is 3rd on the team in FGAs and 3rd in Usage%. That is right where he should be. He is clearly the 3rd option.
I disagree. I don’t just look at stats. He takes bad shots and has no ability to make the extra pass.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think it's fine if Oubre wants to rest and sit out the lockdown season. Meniscus tears are scary injuries, and I'd rather he err on the side of caution. And we have other young 3/4 men who would be happy to have his minutes.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:05 pm
Well yea but this is the same as the final few games on late March/April, when he wouldn't have been playing anyway.
It's not the same. No one sits out because next season is their contract season. In this instance, next season is 5 months away at the least.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

It feels like there is a lot of speculation without any real substance on which to base the speculation.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:27 pm
ShelC wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:05 pm
Well yea but this is the same as the final few games on late March/April, when he wouldn't have been playing anyway.
It's not the same. No one sits out because next season is their contract season. In this instance, next season is 5 months away at the least.
Same as it would be if he sat out 8 meaningless games in April and the season were starting in October. If he gets injured again or suffers a setback, it might affect next season for him and/or could affect the team's ability to deal him in the offseason. It's not technically a contract year for him right now, but it's close enough.
INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:29 pm
It feels like there is a lot of speculation without any real substance on which to base the speculation.
Hence the term "speculation".

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

It seems Oubre and the Suns are on the same page. Good enough for me.