Around the League: Season Resumes

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Around the League: Season Resumes

Post by ShelC »

This is why there's caution with Oubre.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That is awful about Isaac. Some of these franchises seem so cavalier about bringing guys back quickly after injury. Take your time, I say. That will really set Isaac back a long time.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

So happy that both the Blazers and Kings lost today. The tiny glimmer of hope stays alive.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:42 pm
That is awful about Isaac. Some of these franchises seem so cavalier about bringing guys back quickly after injury. Take your time, I say. That will really set Isaac back a long time.
Returning seven months later from a non-structural knee injury is bringing a guy back quickly?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:04 pm
I hated it then and I hate it now. You don't trade a 20ppg for nothing.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

iLLmatic wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:51 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:04 pm
I hated it then and I hate it now. You don't trade a 20ppg for nothing.
It wasn’t for nothing. It was at a cost. :P
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I really like this idea. Play 60 games then kick out the trash and finish the season with the teams actually trying to get into the playoffs. You can let the trash teams play each other if you want or not.

Not sure what the cutoff would be, but finding ways to have good basketball teams playing each other more is always a good idea.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:18 pm

I really like this idea. Play 60 games then kick out the trash and finish the season with the teams actually trying to get into the playoffs. You can let the trash teams play each other if you want or not.

Not sure what the cutoff would be, but finding ways to have good basketball teams playing each other more is always a good idea.
And if an organization fails to make it out of the trash group for 6(?) seasons in a row they are required to sell their franchise within the next 12 months.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:

I think that already exists and it’s called the playoffs.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:36 pm
Split T wrote:

I think that already exists and it’s called the playoffs.
Sure, but don’t these bubble games feel like an extended playoff? Would it not be better to have more games that have a playoff atmosphere?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Given that the “fans” are just a video screen, why aren’t they at the WNBA games too? Poor ladies don’t even get fake fans.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Split T wrote:

82 games is such a long season, hopefully the league see this and keeps exploring serious ways to replicate this on court bubble efforts we are watching.

Maybe kick out teams once they lost mathematical possibilities at a playoff spot, and them forfeiting the rest of the season in favor of the remaining teams and so on until the last 10-15 games? Or limiting it to 8-10 booted teams.

The financial hit on all that home games forfeited would make Front offices more cautious about tanking, and the extra rest would sit well for the teams truly fighting for the Banner. And the mayhem that would be the sudden change in the standings every time a team gets the boot, as the Wins piles up uneven among the remaining teams... and perhaps you set all the booted teams under a certain amount of games on a mini tournament for ping pong balls (An 8 teams booting limit would fit nicely here), rewarding the last team standing with the better probabilities, but bested by those teams that managed to stay longer in the Big Boys tournament

I know it’s totally crazy and uneven, but this year has been as much crazy.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I just like thinking outside the box. I think the relegation system in International soccer leagues is fascinating. Wouldn’t work in the nba, but this is almost a de facto relegation. You wanna keep playing meaningful games all year? Win more games.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:38 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Returning seven months later from a non-structural knee injury is bringing a guy back quickly?
A torn meniscus is a structural knee injury.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:24 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Meniscus is more like padding, it’s not holding the joint together. But it is a part of the structure of the knee.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

The Isaac injury really is a bummer. That guy is a stud. It also may change the calculus for Orlando in whether they want to trade Gordon.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:28 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:24 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Meniscus is more like padding, it’s not holding the joint together. But it is a part of the structure of the knee.
I didn't see any mention of a torn meniscus:
The Magic announced that Isaac has suffered a hyperextended left knee in the moment, but on Thursday, they added that he had suffered both a posterior lateral corner injury and a bone contusion. He will be re-evaluated in 8-10 weeks, but fortunately, he suffered no damage to his ACL, MCL or PCL ligaments.
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/magi ... -10-weeks/

Split T

Post by Split T »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:37 pm
The Isaac injury really is a bummer. That guy is a stud. It also may change the calculus for Orlando in whether they want to trade Gordon.
Ya you gotta think Isaac sits the whole season next year. They probably aren’t moving Gordon.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:37 pm
I was thinking the same thing.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:27 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:26 pm
Isaac got hurt again....
Dammit, Abraham, the angel told you to stop!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan