Around the League: Season Resumes

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Around the League: Season Resumes

Post by Superbone »

It's all fantasy anyway. It is what it is. We've just got to rally around our guy and try to give him a little mean streak. He's got to stop talking the talk if he's not going to walk the walk. I don't want to hear anything about bully ball from him for example. He's all finesse right now.
"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Blazers big 3 been doing their thing in the bubble and Melo continues to chip in but Trent Jr play been a big key for them.
He's shooting lights out basically every game and D'ing up also

Gonna be an interesting 4th qrt
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Nuggets have caught the blazers!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Lillard going bonkers

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Yea Mike Malone sticking with the youngsters down the stretch didn't do us any favours

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:52 pm
The injuries are a MASSIVE red flag. Does nobody here look at his build and frame? Does that look like the kind of guy that's going to hold up for years in the league? And beyond scoring on a bunch of explosive plays, his rebounding numbers and defense are pretty atrocious.

We're actually arguing against a guy we drafted that's already shown us that he can pretty consistently put up 20, 10 and 2 or 3 blocks a game his 2nd season in the league while almost always having a positive +/-, you know, the thing that indicates they impact the game. Pretty ho hum numbers though and he likely won't improve upon them. Unreal.
And we know exactly what he could improve upon -- and complain about these points incessantly. Now that he's figured out how to be a top one-on-one defender and is starting to be better about team defense (when he's hot asleep) and also developing a 3-pointer -- now we're complaining about him not having go-to-moves in the paint (purely a pick-and-roll threat for now) and not having veteran savvy. He's easily a 30-15-2-2 kind of player if he improves one or two of these points every off-season.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

BlaCkAdDa wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:01 pm
Zion can absolutely beat a team on his own I think, but I agree with looking at him and just wondering if he can keep it together...I'm not gonna sell low on Ayton.. enjoying his progress and still happy with the decision to draft him, I don't even want to go into the Ayton/Doncic space, clearly Doncic is a better player now, but Aytons a great fit with what else we have.
On 15 minutes? Wow!!! (Just a joke)

But really, “can” it’s not the operative word at the moment, and not just for the 15 minutes limit (again, just joking, but still a reality about his current health), but because the game use two baskets and you have to stop your opponent, just look at the Mavs. Zion it’s spectacular but just on one end of the court, and not even entirely, since he doesn’t rebound enough either, and that only would worsening how uneven a 5 Zion squad would looks like on defense.

I was a total Luka guy, still learning to love Ayton because HE IS ON MY TEAM, but to be honest, the guy looked lost on defense last year, gassed every few minutes, and now he is an anchor all around the court defensively, expanded his range offensively and doesn’t complain about touches o featuring, so, I don’t know why we keep on being so hard on him, instead on hoping for more developing and pushing him, not bitching about him. Zion looks like another Amare, and that’s not a slight, that would be a great career, but we already been there, bitching about Amare’s shortcomings, lack of rebounding, No-D approach, diminishing health, protagonism and so...

I will take less flash and more flesh for a change this time, going with the player that can be Top 2 on his squad while actually being a team player, instead of the big gravitational force that (probably involuntarily) ends up swallowing everything around him. It must be exhausting for the team the need to balance all the stuff about Zion. Maybe next year with more data we can revisit the subject, just like we are doing it now, but today, is clear we have the better player and building block.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:28 pm

I will take less flash and more flesh

It's like you read my dating profile.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

But I'm glad the fans are out here backing Ayton. He drives us all crazy at times, but he has become a good defender and gets us those 20ppg even on an off night.

On draft night (if they had been in the same year) I would have taken Zion over DeAndre without hesitation. DA is better right now, and looks to have a better future in front of him.

Now I'll go back to complaining that DA's feet never leave the ground in game.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

When it's all said and done, I'd rather have Ayton and his flaws than not have him. And I'd definitely rather have him over Bagley and JJJ (even when healthy).

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:11 am
When it's all said and done, I'd rather have Ayton and his flaws than not have him. And I'd definitely rather have him over Bagley and JJJ (even when healthy).
Of course. Ayton is turning into a difference maker in some games, and that is a long way from where he was last year. I love the progress.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:47 am
Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:28 pm

I will take less flash and more flesh

It's like you read my dating profile.
Lol. But when I say this about Oubre, you guys jump to defend him because VALLEYY BOYYYYYZZZ 4 the culture!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:49 am
Lol. But when I say this about Oubre, you guys jump to defend him because VALLEYY BOYYYYYZZZ 4 the culture!
There's a difference between saying, "I want to see this player improve" (flesh/flash) and, "This guy's a bum and I want him off the team."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:51 am
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:49 am
There's a difference between saying, "I want to see this player improve" (flesh/flash) and, "This guy's a bum and I want him off the team."
Uh he said I’d rather have Ayton over Zion because I want less flash and more flesh.

That has nothing to do with seeing a player improve

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Would love to see a blowout where Mikal and/or Cam get a lighter workload. Doubt that tho with the Heat. They always come to play.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:16 am

Would love to see a blowout where Mikal and/or Cam get a lighter workload. Doubt that tho with the Heat. They always come to play.
Spoelstra is a great coach.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea and still a lot of firepower on the perimeter with Nunn, Robinson and Herro to go with guys like Crowder and Iggy. Bam and Olynyk aren't slouches either.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Yes and coaches starting to rest guys continues
Unfortunate for us but can't say I'm surprised

Spurs here cruising obviously against this opposition

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

jonh

Post by jonh »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:03 pm
It's all fantasy anyway. It is what it is. We've just got to rally around our guy and try to give him a little mean streak. He's got to stop talking the talk if he's not going to walk the walk. I don't want to hear anything about bully ball from him for example. He's all finesse right now.
Agreed--Im on team Ayton right now, and I like what he brings to the team--hes not an alpha, which is just fine if the team is based on Booker and Rubio being the team leaders. I actually really have liked what I see from him defensively and on the boards.