Game Day: Mavericks (40-28) @ Suns (27-39), Sun 8/2/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Nodack

Re: Game Day: Mavericks (40-28) @ Suns (27-39), Sun 8/2/20

Post by Nodack »

I don’t know how they won that game but, they did with Ayton and Booker in foul trouble the whole game. The other guys stepped up. Porzingis and Doncic had their way with us. Ayton being a total wimp anywhere near the basket on offense is getting old.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

EJ also made a good observation that whenever the Mavs get into close games they tend to settle for and jack up 3s. That's exactly what they did in the 2nd half when we were coming back and took the lead. Also said they had the worst winning percentage (I think?) when they're down by more than 5 with 5 minutes left in the game. So all of those held true fortunately.

Also, sometimes taking the best players out of the game makes it harder on the defense because then they don't know who to guard. The Mavs (and refs) knew to key in on Book and Ayton, but couldn't have expected the big 3s from guys like Carter, Payton and Dario. The gameplan changes in a sense. Kind of how the Wizards were tough for us without Beal and Wall. They're more predictable with Wall and Beal because you know where the shots and offense are coming from.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:21 pm
So the SportsCenter highlights:

Doncic layup
Doncic layup
Porzingis block on Rubio
Porzingis missed 3
Hardaway missed 3

Suns win by 2
Haaa smh lol
This is no way surprising .I don't watch SC , The Jump , The Countdown none of it I just tune in for the games
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:55 am
da_suns_fan wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:16 am
Couple of thoughts:

1) Bridges is a keeper

2) DA just doesnt have it.

3) Looking at Luka's 40, I'm wondering. Of the last ten years of drafts, how many can we say we DIDNT screw up.

I can only think of one: Booker. And they WANTED Kaminsky.
He played well in our previous bubble games and has been having a nice season overall. I don't think it's fair to jump all over a guy when he has one bad game. KP and Boban are both weird/tough matchups for Ayton, especially when the refs are calling every ticky tack foul on us. Let's see how he bounces back in our next game.
Its the lack of aggressiveness that bothers me. Especially around the rim. I just think you have it or dont. I still remember that rookie game Amare had against the T-Wolves. I want to say he had 38. It was so exciting to watch someone be so aggressive.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Mikal checks Suns Twitter ? :)

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:09 pm

I Almost chucked my remote at the TV after this call.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:14 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:

There were so many bad calls last night that by this time I had just assumed there would be a foul called on 90% of the trips down that end of the floor.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Yup what Indy said
I took a deep breath at half time and started thinking about my health :lol:

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

That was such a bullshit call. Even Mavs fans on Reddit were comfortable admitting that one.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:22 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:14 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:

There were so many bad calls last night that by this time I had just assumed there would be a foul called on 90% of the trips down that end of the floor.
It was pretty close to that in the 2nd quarter.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:06 am
I have no idea how we won that game. So ugly. Refs were awful and we made some young boneheaded fouls too. Kudos to the bench mob for sparking the win and so happy mavs went 3 wild and missed them all
Couldn't force yourself to say something good about Carter?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:46 pm
Yup what Indy said
I took a deep breath at half time and started thinking about my health :lol:
Ha! I saw that. I meant to reply that it was a great idea and I needed to do that myself.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:54 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:06 am
I have no idea how we won that game. So ugly. Refs were awful and we made some young boneheaded fouls too. Kudos to the bench mob for sparking the win and so happy mavs went 3 wild and missed them all
Couldn't force yourself to say something good about Carter?
Listen you’re just going to have to settle for “bench mob” okay lol

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:50 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
da_suns_fan wrote:
Couple of thoughts:

1) Bridges is a keeper

3) Looking at Luka's 40, I'm wondering. Of the last ten years of drafts, how many can we say we DIDNT screw up.

He played well in our previous bubble games and has been having a nice season overall. I don't think it's fair to jump all over a guy when he has one bad game. KP and Boban are both weird/tough matchups for Ayton, especially when the refs are calling every ticky tack foul on us. Let's see how he bounces back in our next game.
Its the lack of aggressiveness that bothers me. Especially around the rim. I just think you have it or dont. I still remember that rookie game Amare had against the T-Wolves. I want to say he had 38. It was so exciting to watch someone be so aggressive.
Some guys just see the rim and get locked and all of their focus is on destroying it. Others (DA, Boris) just lack that desire. If it’s not natural, that split second of hesitation costs you the opportunity to rise up and shit on your opponent. See the Shaq dunk on Chris Dudley. If Shaq hesitated at all, Dudley could’ve recovered, planted and rose up with him- maybe not blocking the shot but could’ve fouled and prevented the dunk. Shaq bumped, turned with the mindset that I’m about to end Dudleys career right here.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:45 pm
da_suns_fan wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
da_suns_fan wrote:
Couple of thoughts:

1) Bridges is a keeper

Some guys just see the rim and get locked and all of their focus is on destroying it. Others (DA, Boris) just lack that desire. If it’s not natural, that split second of hesitation costs you the opportunity to rise up and shit on your opponent. See the Shaq dunk on Chris Dudley. If Shaq hesitated at all, Dudley could’ve recovered, planted and rose up with him- maybe not blocking the shot but could’ve fouled and prevented the dunk. Shaq bumped, turned with the mindset that I’m about to end Dudleys career right here.
yes, but kareem, hakeem, david robinson, and tim duncan didn't have that 'destroy everyone and the rim" attitude, and all are considered some of the best centers to ever play the game. There isn't only 1 way to be great.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:45 pm
da_suns_fan wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
da_suns_fan wrote:
Couple of thoughts:

1) Bridges is a keeper

This. Reminds me of Boris.

There was a moment with about three minute left in the game where DA got an offensive rebound. Cam Johnson had blocked out Porzingis and DA had three feet of open space behind him to just turn around and dunk it. He didnt even look. He just immediately kicked it back out.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I like Boris Diaw. But DeAndre Ayton is much, much better than Boris Diaw. To call him that is to pretty severely underrate him.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:15 pm
It’s great to keep reading the reasons you have to dump him, I learn a lot, and even if you don’t get the same learning from me and the other non-dumping poster (just to name one disagreement) you are still growing because of the adversity.

So, great to read that you will keep bringing to the table dumping propositions, hopefully looking for a better value (ice) as more games like today’s, prove Rubio worth of staying here (my hope).
:) You're good, Aztec, and a valued poster.

And we actually on the team in general; I'm not out for a superstar either; I think we have our Big 2 (possibly Big 3), and just need to put build around them smartly.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:35 am
The Bobster wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:56 pm
Saric has played really well the last two games - 49 Min, 9/14 FG, 14 rebounds, 3 assists, 29 points
Building on his good play before the lock-down.
Eh. The Wiz game gave me some hope; I didn't see yesterday's game as more evidence he should be retained.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:20 am
Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:35 am
I’m actually happy with Rubio as a shooter. He’s at just under 36% from 3. He’s over 40% on spot up 3’s. No complaints there from me.
Which says he shouldn't be taking off the dribble 3s.

Like I said, the last 15 games from him have been really good, and if he could play that way for the next 24 months that would be great. I just don't see it continuing, and he will likely get back to his career average of sub 33% and still not have the defense.
Well said.