Game Day: Suns (28-39) @ Clippers (45-21), Tues 8/4/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Game Day: Suns (28-39) @ Clippers (45-21), Tues 8/4/20

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Still amazed at how much elevation Booker gets on his jumpers. Combined with his speed and agility, he is the definition of deceptive athelticism.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Booker is tied with Gilbert Arenas and Clyde Drexler with 3 games of 30 points and game-winning buzzer-beaters. Only three players have 4: Larry Bird, Kobe Bryant, and Michael Jordan. Pretty good company for the young fella. And you know he’s going to join the top group if not surpass them in his remaining career.
"Be Legendary."

BookTheGoat

Post by BookTheGoat »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:09 am
Anybody know if there’s a way to hear Al McCoy’s call of the final play today?

I screen recorded it for you. Burns and Gambo kinda step on it a bit but you get most of it.

It’s during the 3 o’clock hour of their show.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Looking at the boxscore (and from watching the game), it was all Booker on offense. Other guys obviously contributed but this was Book's game. And even tho he scored 30 against the Mavs, this 30 (35) was different. He was carrying us throughout. When we needed a shot, we got him the ball and he went to work. It wasn't selfishness, it wasn't desperation, it wasn't a hot hand - it was a franchise go-to player doing what he's supposed to do. He's had other big games, hit big shots before, scored his 70 but this game and that shot meant something. The league and the fans really took notice. Maybe not a playoff game, not a series clincher but for us at this time and in this situation, it's pretty damn close. Shot 13-25 and 6-9 from 3 with 8 assists (2TO), 4 boards and honestly played some serious D throughout the game.

Rubio with another solid game 18-3-4 on 7-14 and 3-4 from 3 in 28 minutes. His offense has been a big boost for us for sure. Ayton with 19-7-4 on 9-18. Didn't feel like he got 18 FGAs. He missed some close ones around the rim but his jumper was working very well. Felt like Zubac got the better of the matchup tho with 18 and 12 and more physicality inside for the Clips.

Cam and Mikal were our defensive MVPs without question. I thought they did as good a job as anyone on George and Kawhi. Kawhi got hot later in the game and George went to work inside getting to the line, but Cam and Mikal really bothered them throughout and were able to switch off effectively. Not a ton of offense from either but solid rnough rebounding from both (13 boards combined) and Mikal hit 3-4 from 3 to get his shot going again. Have noticed Mikal bringing the ball up a few times and initiating some offense which is fun to see. I like the different looks with ballhandlers, keeps the defense off balance so it's never just Rubio or just Booker or just Payne.

Saric and Payne gave us good minutes off the bench again. We're running some offense through Dario at the top of the key and I really like it. I think it helps get his offense going which is needed. Payne continued his strong play with 20 minutes, hit back to back 3s down the stretch to help us hold and build on our lead late. +14 in the game which was also best on the team. Carter gave us 11 minutes and was pretty solid defensively, causing a pretty big TO that lead to a basket. Frank only played 9 but finally hit a 3. Grabbed 6 boards as well (didn't feel like it).

I'm hoping Thursday against the Pacers isn't a letdown game. A lot of emotion in this one and our starters played a lot of minutes. Without Baynes and Oubre we're basically only 7 deep with Payne and Dario off the bench. Book played 37 minutes, Mikal 34 and Cam and DA both with 38. The good thing is that they're young so hopefully they bounce back quickly. Monty's doing a very good job with the rotations, getting a nice combo of players on the floor who are effective even tho his options are a bit limited. And he's keeping Rubio's minutes under 30, which Cam is no doubt helping play a part in.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

PointBridges

The Bridges Defense

Ayton down the lane with a big layup +1 late

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Here's the Jalen Lecque highlight 'bone was talking about. Karma's a bitch

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Yo ShelC
Solid breakdown and I can see what you're saying about Cam n Mikal as both their efforts were key on that end cause we couldn't afford to be dominated by their all star duo.
What I would say tho is that Cam 1v1 is decent at times but he's going to have to work on navigating screens. Yes he's a forward but I always hear guards talking about learning to navigate screens is one of the biggest things about transitioning from college. Not "dying on the screen" they say but my poor boy more often than not he goes into the bigs chest and basically sticks to him :)
Ayton has gotten better play pick n roll but sometimes he is still hesitant to trust the rotation and too late in showing hard so those two things when they in pick n roll has lead to some penetration
They'll get there no worries 8-)
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea Cam's still developing as a defender and I don't have the game taped to go back and watch him specifically. But I didn't really see him get handled by either guy over and over again. I think there were some defensive miscues, I remember one play where it looked like Rubio went to double Kawhi(?) to help Mikal and actually ended up screening Mikal. But for a 2nd yr player and a rook, the defensive future is bright for us. Cam will add strength as he gets older which will help that much more. Same with Bridges. I have some concern that our swings are a bit thinner - Cam and Oubre have slighter frames whereas guys like George and Kawhi are thicker and more filled out. I think Mikal has more room to fill out.
Last edited by ShelC on Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:05 am
After repeated viewing of the last play, I saw something new. Lecque comes running out and slips and sweeps the leg of the referee sending him to the ground.
The referees from the Mavs game deserved more, but maybe he didn’t wanted to waste the opportunity...

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:47 pm
SDC wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:37 pm
So Devin forced the difficult turnaround jumper instead of passing it to the open Rubio.
:lol:

Good to hear from you, SDC.
Kawhi was waiting for that pass. That is the primary reason he didn't get right in front of Booker on that shot. You see him cheat off of Rubio to come at booker, and then quickly jump into the passing lane. Despite there likely being not enough time (or fair to Rubio) to pass it to him in that moment, it would have been picked off easily.

jonh

Post by jonh »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:41 am

There was more contact on that play than about half of the Suns fouls.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The look on Leque's face when he realized what happened, and then quickly turns to pretend it wasn't him is hilarious. (it is easier to see on the view from the far end of the court)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

BookTheGoat wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:18 am
Superbone wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:09 am
Anybody know if there’s a way to hear Al McCoy’s call of the final play today?

I screen recorded it for you. Burns and Gambo kinda step on it a bit but you get most of it.

It’s during the 3 o’clock hour of their show.
Dude! Thank you! What a great way to start my morning!
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

da_suns_fan wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:48 pm
Im conflicted.

I want them to win every game. But the team needs more talent! We need a high draft pick.
You're conflicted because you want them to make the playoffs, but also not make them? Because their place in the lottery doesn't change based on their record, unless they make the playoffs.

I get it though, I think they need talent too, but at the same time, they may be able to get some talent from the FA and/or if they get lucky in the lottery/draft. At the same time, this is the youngest team in the league and they will get better with natural progression next season from nearly everyone on the team.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:19 am
I'm hoping Thursday against the Pacers isn't a letdown game.
I'm hoping we put Bridges on Warren.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:41 am

Sweep the leg, Johnny!

That's so funny. The ref is walking all cool and then whammo... Down goes Frazier!
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Could Lecque get in trouble for that? He pretty clearly sizes it up and sticks his leg out and sweeps it to trip that ref. I don't think the league wants players intentionally doing that sort of thing to refs.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:11 am
Yea Cam's still developing as a defender and I don't have the gape taped to go back and watch him specifically. But I didn't really see him get handled by either guy over and over again. I think there were some defensive miscues, I remember one play where it looked like Rubio went to double Kawhi(?) to help Mikal and actually ended up screening Mikal. But for a 2nd yr player and a rook, the defensive future is bright for us. Cam will add strength as he gets older which will help that much more. Same with Bridges. I have some concern that our swings are a bit thinner - Cam and Oubre have slighter frames whereas guys like George and Kawhi are thicker and more filled out. I think Mikal has more room to fill out.
One costly mistake was not rooting out Leonard under the basket when George badly missed the corner three that Leonard put back in during winning time. Cam was caught ball watching but he'll learn.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:14 am
Could Lecque get in trouble for that? He pretty clearly sizes it up and sticks his leg out and sweeps it to trip that ref. I don't think the league wants players intentionally doing that sort of thing to refs.
I think you're way off base. Lecque just slipped. In no way was that intentional.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:08 am
ShelC wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:19 am
I'm hoping Thursday against the Pacers isn't a letdown game.
I'm hoping we put Bridges on Warren.
I was thinking that same thing, just to get into TJ early with our best defender. But Monty may not want to get cute and it's not like Cam is terrible either. Plus Dipo is playing and while he may not be 100% back or playing big minutes, he's not someone to sleep on either. I'm sure they'll be switching just the same since the Pacers seem to be playing small with TJ at the 4. But I do like the strategy of putting our best defender on TJ at the start to get him out any zone he might be in.