Suns News: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns News: Offseason

Post by Indy »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:07 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:59 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:26 am
Toronto hasn't been shy about committing $, and I believe they have almost 50 million coming off the books with Ibaka and Gasol. If the Raps want to keep him, they will.
But they only have 9 players under contract for next year, and Lowry is an UFA next summer. With Lowry being the face of that team, they will max him. And with Siakam's extension starting at 29M next year, they might want to use that money in different ways.
Aren't they also trying to open cap space as they think they are a destination for Giannis?
I think they want to make sure they can at least make him an offer, even if they aren't #1 on his list.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I wouldn’t hesitate to give Brogdon money. 4yr-85M. Make it happen.

It would be a no brainer to trade Rubio if possible at that point. Not interested in him playing limited minutes off the bench at his price.

Also send out Oubre and get some room for a 4 or get a 4 in return. I’d be happy to grab Ibaka if he’s willing to sign at a reasonably cheap deal as a backup 4/5. Retain Saric if he’s willing for cheap as well. Pick up a smart backup 3 on a cheap deal and you got a great team.

FVV
Book
Bridges
Johnson
Ayton
CP
Carter
Insert 3
Saric
Ibaka

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I love FVV, don't get me wrong. But how realistic of an FA target is he for us? We don't have a lot of cap space relative to what he will likely command on the market. Are we talking about a trade with TOR? Why would they want Oubre given who they already have on their roster? Wouldn't they much more likely want to keep FVV even if they have to pay him a handsome salary?

This kind of smells to me like a Sarver plan where they leak that they're going after some high-profile free agent who they are a longshot to sign, then when he inevitably doesn't come here, they say, "Well at least we tried." And then they end up just signing minimum guys and bantha fodder instead.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:48 pm
I wouldn’t hesitate to give Brogdon money. 4yr-85M. Make it happen.

It would be a no brainer to trade Rubio if possible at that point. Not interested in him playing limited minutes off the bench at his price.

Also send out Oubre and get some room for a 4 or get a 4 in return. I’d be happy to grab Ibaka if he’s willing to sign at a reasonably cheap deal as a backup 4/5. Retain Saric if he’s willing for cheap as well. Pick up a smart backup 3 on a cheap deal and you got a great team.

FVV
Book
Bridges
Johnson
Ayton
CP
Carter
Insert 3
Saric
Ibaka
I am curious what a possible trade would look like for a re-signed FVV and Ibaka for Rubio/Oubre. Depending on the contracts, that might be a fair swap without any picks either way.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:06 pm
I love FVV, don't get me wrong. But how realistic of an FA target is he for us? We don't have a lot of cap space relative to what he will likely command on the market. Are we talking about a trade with TOR? Why would they want Oubre given who they already have on their roster? Wouldn't they much more likely want to keep FVV even if they have to pay him a handsome salary?

This kind of smells to me like a Sarver plan where they leak that they're going after some high-profile free agent who they are a longshot to sign, then when he inevitably doesn't come here, they say, "Well at least we tried." And then they end up just signing minimum guys and bantha fodder instead.
I don't see Jones giving in to that this summer. I think he knows he has to do something to put us into the playoffs next year, and with as tight of a race it was this year, and the Warriors back and the Pels with Zion all year, it will be next to impossible without an improved roster (and not just normal growth from our young guys).

Split T

Post by Split T »

Seen Golden State talk of Oubre and 10 for 2. That clears the cap space to sign FVV outright. Plus whatever you decide to do at 2.

How about #10 and Oubre to GS
#2 to Detroit
Kennard and #7 to PHX.

Sign FVV, draft Vassell.

FVV, Booker, Bridges, Johnson, Ayton
Rubio, Kennard, Vassell, Saric

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

We're in the playoffs this year if Ayton doesn't go bonehead and get suspended. And we saw some actual development from Bridges and Cam in Orlando. Warriors, Grizz, Pels and Blazers don't scare me as much next year. They just don't. And I just don't think FVV moves the needle to where we're a lock with him over the rest of the guys we'd potentially have to get rid of.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:22 pm
We're in the playoffs this year if Ayton doesn't go bonehead and get suspended. And we saw some actual development from Bridges and Cam in Orlando. Warriors, Grizz, Pels and Blazers don't scare me as much next year. They just don't. And I just don't think FVV moves the needle to where we're a lock with him over the rest of the guys we'd potentially have to get rid of.
It’s really just Oubre, who wasn’t even apart of the bubble team. I like Oubre and I’d be sad to see him go, I think his on ball scoring is helpful, but FVV covers that.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:21 pm
Seen Golden State talk of Oubre and 10 for 2. That clears the cap space to sign FVV outright. Plus whatever you decide to do at 2.

How about #10 and Oubre to GS
#2 to Detroit
Kennard and #7 to PHX.

Sign FVV, draft Vassell.

FVV, Booker, Bridges, Johnson, Ayton
Rubio, Kennard, Vassell, Saric
This is pretty good, and you could still bring back Carter and Payne. You would have to have it worked out with Detroit ahead of time, since you would use the TPE from the Oubre trade for Kennard after the salary cap space is used.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Oubre just to move up in a bad draft year? I think he has a lot more value than that.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:07 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:59 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:26 am
Toronto hasn't been shy about committing $, and I believe they have almost 50 million coming off the books with Ibaka and Gasol. If the Raps want to keep him, they will.
But they only have 9 players under contract for next year, and Lowry is an UFA next summer. With Lowry being the face of that team, they will max him. And with Siakam's extension starting at 29M next year, they might want to use that money in different ways.
Aren't they also trying to open cap space as they think they are a destination for Giannis?
It will be really interesting to see how they handle the roster this summer.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:43 pm
Oubre just to move up in a bad draft year? I think he has a lot more value than that.
No, not exactly. The main component is to open cap space for FVV and add another player.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:45 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
No, not exactly. The main component is to open cap space for FVV and add another player.
Sure, but I would want a future pick or something as well.

Split T

Post by Split T »

How about GS’s 2nd?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:56 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:45 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Sure, but I would want a future pick or something as well.
Would you rather have Min pick next yr or Vassell and Kennard this yr?

Could it be possible that they wrangle a pick swap between Phx and MIn's next yr? Would that be better?

carey

Post by carey »

What's the thoughts behind adding FVV to the team that already has Rubio?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:10 pm
Having multiple good PGs is better than having only 1, and contribute to winning. We saw how having a bad PG as your backup, killed the bench production and killed the team in the end.

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Rubio isn’t the future, FVV can be. Also they can play together, but I would look to move Rubio as well.

carey

Post by carey »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:12 pm
carey wrote:
Having multiple good PGs is better than having only 1, and contribute to winning. We saw how having a bad PG as your backup, killed the bench production and killed the team in the end.
We also saw what having multiple PGs that expect to be starters running the team does to a team. I don't know which is right.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:16 pm
In2ition wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:12 pm
carey wrote:
We also saw what having multiple PGs that expect to be starters running the team does to a team. I don't know which is right.
FVV has been playing alongside another pg his whole career.