Suns News: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Suns News: Offseason

Post by Mori Chu »

If you want to feel old, go look up how old Barbosa is now. Hope he does well at Golden State, though!

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:34 pm
If you want to feel old, go look up how old Barbosa is now. Hope he does well at Golden State, though!
I started watching the Suns during Alvan Adams' rookie year when he was 21.

He's 66 now.

That does it for me.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Bunch of old farts.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:06 pm
ShelC wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:25 pm
Been a long decade, Cap.
My birthday is coming up near the end of next month. I will be halfway to 90.

I was in my early 30s the last time the Suns made the playoffs. That just sounds fucking awful.

Ugh.
I did my count since the ‘93 finals that made me that weird guy in Mexico rooting for the Suns instead of all-mighty Jordan. Please, avoid your own math...

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Didn't see this posted and not sure how reputable he is but we're mentioned as a potential trade partner for CP3. Would imagine Rubio and Oubre as a starting point if we kick the tires? Monty also coached him in NOLA so there's at least a connection there but something tells me Scoop is more or less connecting dots and throwing stuff out there to see if it sticks.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:55 am
Didn't see this posted and not sure how reputable he is but we're mentioned as a potential trade partner for CP3. Would imagine Rubio and Oubre as a starting point if we kick the tires? Monty also coached him in NOLA so there's at least a connection there but something tells me Scoop is more or less connecting dots and throwing stuff out there to see if it sticks.

[TWEET GOES HERE]
I would think OKC would have to give up a ton of future assets to dump his contract. He is still owed 85M over TWO years. Ugh.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Depends on how they position it. Paul proved effective this year and can help a team looking to compete. A ton of money but also a ton of space relatively soon. I don't think they're desperate to move his deal necessarily are they? For instance, a team like the Knicks might give them assets to get Paul. We might not see him as such a necessity.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think teams would be dumb to give up assets for Paul. Of course, there are plenty of dumb teams, so it might happen. I’m almost positive Milwaukee will offer Bledsoe/Hill/Ilyasova. That saves OKC a lot of money and gives them movable pieces. That should be enough, though they will try to take advantage of a desperate Milwaukee team and try an extract a 1st.

I wouldn’t hate the idea of Paul here. But a Rubio/Oubre trade is lopsided to me. We take on a lot more money in this situation. I’d want picks coming back from OKC. Oubre is a young, rising wing that could be a piece of OKC’s future core.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Would it also guarantee us being so much better than staying as is? Would feel like a lateral move and something done on paper to look like a big move and get attention.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think it makes us better. It’s essentially taking the bubble team and flipping Rubio into CP3. CP3 is better than Rubio across the board. I think it makes Booker even more dangerous off the ball as teams have to respect CP3’s pull up game. He’s the best mid range guy in the game.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think we'd be better, but to what degree? If we're battling for the 7th-8th seed with the bubble team plus Oubre, are we a 5th-6th seed with CP and the bubble team? Is that worth the 80mil over 2 years? I don't think getting CP would push us so far ahead to where we'd be a 2-3-4 seed heading for a deep playoff run. Maybe others do, I just don't see it.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

It's a hard pass for me.

Split T

Post by Split T »

No that’s fair, I don’t think CP3 makes us a home court team.

We’d end up spending about 30-35 million more over 2 years for CP3 than for Rubio/Oubre. Though if we resigned Oubre, that would drop.

So you gotta ask, is CP3 worth spending 20 million a year more than Rubio? And then is there still enough value coming our way that we can justify giving up Oubre?

I think the 1st one is close, but Oubre is too valuable. I’d want the two 1sts Houston sent with CP3 coming back before I’d consider it. Don’t think OKC does that as Milwaukee will take CP3 without 1sts.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think we should trade for CP3. I like him as a player, but Rubio has been pretty good for us, and I don't think CP3 is enough better to justify the cost. And I don't think Oubre should just be tossed out like that. CP3's contract is so ridiculous that I would really want to avoid taking it on. And he's quite old (35 vs 29 for Rubio), so we'd be searching for a new PG in just a year or two. Pass.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:55 am

Uh no.

We have no bad contracts (Rubio doesn’t even come close) to send back, and unless we’re getting some unprotected or lightly protected firsts back (multiple), I’m not interested in taking up all our cap space on him.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Lonzo signed with klutch. No chance of getting him now

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

PHX can get CP3 for Rubio and filler (Kaminsky, Jerome, Okobo, Leque) if they operate as an under the cap team, which means letting go Saric and Baynes. But that includes keeping the #10.

If it means I can keep Oubre, I'd consider sending OKC a 2021 or 2022 lottery protected 1stR (that turns into two seconds if we don't make the playoffs over the next two seasons, since that's the only goal CP3 would serve here).

We'd be looking at CP3-Booker-Bridges-Oubre-Ayton-Cam-Payne-Carter, plus #10 (spent on a big) and the room exception. This is not a bad roster to aim for the playoffs.

Quite expensive for one seaosn if Oubre is kept beyond next season, but CP3 expires the following year.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

How many good years does CP3 have left?
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

No one really knows, but his game should age well. It already has. He could be on a Stockton like path

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's tough to say with Paul. He's been kind of injury prone throughout his career and can either play 80 games or miss 20.