Suns News: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns News: Offseason

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:12 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:03 pm
It feels like we still need to improve the roster significantly without any real means of doing it the next two years.
I am really really hoping all of that talk about Paul bringing a key player with him was real and we can fit the finances in.
I’m just not sure who it is. The front court is getting crowded, we need wings/guards and those are kinda lacking in free agency.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:16 pm
Indy wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
It feels like we still need to improve the roster significantly without any real means of doing it the next two years.
I am really really hoping all of that talk about Paul bringing a key player with him was real and we can fit the finances in.
I’m just not sure who it is. The front court is getting crowded, we need wings/guards and those are kinda lacking in free agency.
Carmelo.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:17 pm
Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Carmelo.
Barf.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:17 pm
Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Carmelo.
:shock: :(

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

That’s INF’s idea of humor. ;)
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

In terms of free agent targets:

Tristan Thompson, Chris Boucher, Jordan McLaughlin, Shaquille Harrison, Allonzo Trier, Derrick Jones Jr.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I enjoyed Shaq and DJJ while they were here and would welcome them back. Shooting might keep them away, though Shaq’s percentages have risen a bit.

I looked through all the guards/wings and here’s some thoughts, trying to see who JJ might target.

E’Twaun Moore - good shooting numbers, can pass a bit too. Injuries issues last year, is he tailing off?

Joe Harris - Doubt we can convince him to come at the MLE and no guaranteed starting role, but he’d be nice.

Langston Galloway - Good shooter. Connections to Bower

DJ Augustin - best backup pg on the market..or I should say best resume. Getting old though.

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope - Would he leave LA? Never thought he was that good, but he can shoot and defend a bit.

Alec Burks - Might be my favorite low key addition. Has some size. Has some ball handling chops. Good shooter. May come cheap. Would he take a 1 year deal at the BAE with a player option for year 2?

Jordan McRae - We tried to snag him off waivers last year. Big guard with ball handling ability and can shoot a little.

Rodney Hood - What does he have left after an Achilles injury. He’s big and has on ball shooting ability. Played well for Portland.

Shaq Harrison/Kris Dunn - Defense, Defense, Defense. Doubt we go for them though.

Justin Holiday - 40%+ shooter last year. Can defend.

Pat Connaughton - Good athlete...not as good a shooter as I’d like.

Thoughts?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Burks and Connaughton are the only guys on that list that I both like and think there's a chance it could happen.

I don't really like Galloway much, but he's a guy, I guess. It's a possibility that he's signed.

I think they believe in Cam enough (and he's really cheap this season) to not bother with DJ.

Shaq and Dunn are interesting, but I think Javon Carter has that role locked down. Would either of them definitely be better than Carter in that role? I'm skeptical. I guess the only thing to consider is the slim chance of any upside potential left and they could take the Cam Payne's role. Skeptical of that one too.

Ditto for Justin Holiday, but I like him more than Shaq or Dunn.

Pass on the old and recently injured guys.

Joe Harris and KCP are the others I like, but I don't see either being possible.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:
Chris Paul's contract is looming large over us..

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Burks and Holiday are targets I like. I think we need another big as well, even if we sign Saric. Candidates would be Noel, Giles and Willy Hernangomez.

The thing I like about Dunn and Shaq are that they can play with either Booker or CP and crossmatch. I don't think Augustin can play alongside Paul defensively.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Indy wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
It better be, because if not, I think the Suns long term prospects are much worse now than before the trade.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

If the Suns intend to sign a PG, I'd look at Facundo Campazzo from Real Madrid. Very small, but talented, tough as nails and ready to compete.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Also, as an over the cap team we still have ways to make relevant improvements beyond the MLE and BE:

We have up to $8'4M in unguaranteed trash contracts (Kaminsky, Okobo, Diallo), which means we can take back up to $13'4M in a trade. The list of players that could be realistically-ish available include:

- Guards: Patty Mills, Dinwwidie, George Hill, Derrick Rose, Satoransky, Ish Smith.

- Forwards: Winslow, Thaddeus Young, Larry Nance Jr., Harkless, Aminu, Tucker, Gibson, Carroll, McDermott, Ilyasova, Bjelica, Jabari, Markkanen.

Obviously making a move would require asset(s) of varying degrees going out from our part, but I bet many of those players can help a team like us and could be had on the cheap.

Finally, since we'd be an over the cap team, we could still sign and trade Saric/Baynes. I bet Baynes and even Saric would be ok with a contract that starts at whatever big amount we need (say 15-20M, even more if somehow a real star under contract was available) the first season with two extra years of unguaranteed money (per CBA, sign and trade contracts need to be at least three years long, with at least one year guaranteed).

To summarize, my point is that if we are going to compete the next two years, we need to maximize our chances so we should use:

1.- The expiring crap I pointed to grab at least one credible rotation player.
2.- The MLE, ideally on a two year contract.
3.- The sign and trade posibility with Baynes/Saric if an interesting target arises.
4.- The BE for depth (Jevon Carter or similar).

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:11 am
Burks and Connaughton are the only guys on that list that I both like and think there's a chance it could happen.

I don't really like Galloway much, but he's a guy, I guess. It's a possibility that he's signed.

I think they believe in Cam enough (and he's really cheap this season) to not bother with DJ.

Shaq and Dunn are interesting, but I think Javon Carter has that role locked down. Would either of them definitely be better than Carter in that role? I'm skeptical. I guess the only thing to consider is the slim chance of any upside potential left and they could take the Cam Payne's role. Skeptical of that one too.

Ditto for Justin Holiday, but I like him more than Shaq or Dunn.

Pass on the old and recently injured guys.

Joe Harris and KCP are the others I like, but I don't see either being possible.
Ya Shaq and Dunn are better defenders, Dunn is maybe the best defensive guard in the league(I’d put him there with Smart and Jrue) but Carter is the better shooter.

I like Cam Payne as well and feel ok about letting him be the backup 1. It’s why I think we need a 2/3 that can run some offense. Enter Alec Burks, he really is the guy on this list I’d target. Assuming we can’t get Harris.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:57 am
Also, as an over the cap team we still have ways to make relevant improvements beyond the MLE and BE:

We have up to $8'4M in unguaranteed trash contracts (Kaminsky, Okobo, Diallo), which means we can take back up to $13'4M in a trade. The list of players that could be realistically-ish available include:

- Guards: Patty Mills, Dinwwidie, George Hill, Derrick Rose, Satoransky, Ish Smith.
KOC mentioned NOH as interested in Baynes...a S&T sending George Hill back is interesting. Hill can play both guard spots and can shoot. Hurt a lot though. Satoransky could also be a good option.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:09 am

Tristan Thompson, Chris Boucher, Jordan McLaughlin, Shaquille Harrison, Allonzo Trier, Derrick Jones Jr.
I love how committed INF is to Shaq Harrison. I'd welcome him back, though I think I like Payne better and would try to keep Payne over Harrison first.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Jones on FA and the Draft

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 774861001/
"There are a few guys out there that are what we call 'Suns fits' and if we do our job, we'll add them and they'll fit in seamlessly and we'll be ready," Suns General Manager James Jones said in a Zoom media interview after Wednesday night's draft.

(On Jalen Smith) "We thought he was the best fit," Jones said. "He checked a lot of boxes for us. We want to be athletic. We want to be long. Adding length to the perimeter with Deandre, Mikal, Cam Johnson. And we figured when we looked at Jalen, his versatility to play the four and the five. Just to be a versatile four that can stretch the floor, that can run in transition. Be the first big down the floor. Switch on pick-and-roll and more importantly, could attack the offensive glass. We thought he gave us an edge in our frontcourt."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:27 am
INFORMER wrote:

I love how committed INF is to Shaq Harrison. I'd welcome him back, though I think I like Payne better and would try to keep Payne over Harrison first.
I really like Shaq's defense and movie star looks but that was about it. I prefer both Carter and Payne.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:27 am
INFORMER wrote:

We have a total of 183 minutes of Payne. And it looked great. But there is also another 2500 minutes of NBA play outside of the bubble that doesn't look near as good. I hope he plays like he did in the bubble because he could be the best backup PG in the league. I just can't bet on it when it is like 7% of his entire career.

gosuns

Post by gosuns »