Suns News: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: Suns News: Offseason

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:46 am
djy2j wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:23 am
ShelC wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:01 am
I get that players of the past regime are bitter and depending on the story, maybe Jones didn't handle the Paul trade rumors properly. But winning cures all ills and we have a great roster - on paper.

Chriss was immature when he got to Phoenix and the FO, coaching and roster only made things tougher for him to develop. He didn't do himself any favors in terms of work ethic either and he's only showing he's not over things by still talking about the Suns.
Chriss can complain all he wants. We obviously have the same complaints as fans. But also Chriss went on to do exactly nothing since then so I guess he doesn't realize that every time he brings this up it is a reminder to all that he's still a bust.
He was actually pretty good last year
Negative

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Yeah he was "good" on an injury decimated team who ended up with one of the worst records in the league which is the only reason he was receiving PT in the first place. He was a GLeague caliber player last year.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I can almost guarantee you guys paid exactly zero attention to Chriss last year. Don’t be that person that just assumes they were bad because they were on a bad team. That’s what we were so mad about when it came to Booker for the last few years.

Here’s some numbers for you:

17/11/3 with 1.9 blocks and 1.2 steals. Shooting 55% from the field. That was Chriss per 36 numbers. He was 22 years old. He played 20 minutes a game. 9/6/2 were his per game averages. 1.1 blocks, .7 steals.

He had a .604 TS%. He had 3.4 win shares, which was double his previous high in 600 less minutes. He had a positive BPM and VORP for the first time in his career. He is significantly better than he ever was for us.

Yes he sucked for us, he wasn’t ready for nba minutes, but to call him g league caliber last year? That’s just pure ignorance.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I'll never fully buy into "per" stats. Almost half of that is a fictional stat in his case. If Chriss was better he would have played more. I would even argue that he didn't play any better but rather he played a different style/role. His fg% was higher because he took better/closer shots. His 3 pt percentage at GS was 20%. He shot better out there with us. I'd argue that his numbers, given the same playing time as with the Suns, would look pretty similar because those are actual numbers he put up in minutes played vs a stat model.

If he was better teams would have been clamoring for him like they did Christian Wood because they are similar player types.

I'd also not be shocked if he doesn't make the roster and GS goes with Wiseman, Looney, and Smailagic as their bigs.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:11 am
I think Kendrick Perkins' basketball takes are terrible, so, yeah...
Well, let's hope not in this case.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:57 am
jonh wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:52 am
Chriss is saying Chriss things--saying that its good Oubre is out of Phoenix:

FYI, Marquese, McD is gone. Sarver is still here but seems to have been reined in a bit. These aren’t the Suns you knew.
He don't care.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

djy2j wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:42 am
I'll never fully buy into "per" stats. Almost half of that is a fictional stat in his case. If Chriss was better he would have played more. I would even argue that he didn't play any better but rather he played a different style/role. His fg% was higher because he took better/closer shots. His 3 pt percentage at GS was 20%. He shot better out there with us. I'd argue that his numbers, given the same playing time as with the Suns, would look pretty similar because those are actual numbers he put up in minutes played vs a stat model.

If he was better teams would have been clamoring for him like they did Christian Wood because they are similar player types.

I'd also not be shocked if he doesn't make the roster and GS goes with Wiseman, Looney, and Smailagic as their bigs.
1. His minutes went up as the season progressed and his numbers actually improved. He played 26 minutes a game after the all star break and averaged 13/9/3 and had a TS% of .635

2. How is playing different not playing better if it results in better stats?

3. He actually did play “better” by your standards anyways as his fg% at the rim and in the paint was at a career high. Yes his 3pt percentage was down, but he essentially stopped shooting them.

4. He wasn’t a free agent like Christian Wood

5. I’m not saying he’s Christian Wood, I’m saying he’s a solid nba player. Good rotational big.

6. It’s ok to admit you were wrong.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://www.nba.com/news/offseason-powe ... conference

nba.com has us ranked 8th in the West behind Portland, Dallas, and Houston. The Warriors 9th just behind us.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:05 am

nba.com has us ranked 8th in the West behind Portland, Dallas, and Houston. The Warriors 9th just behind us.
People are always scared to stray too far from the status quo. It’s hard for people to not have the last 10 years in the back of their minds when evaluating us.

I’d also say though that 8th isn’t that crazy. The west is really good and I think everyone will be very close. I don’t trust Houston will actually keep harden, so I drop them because of that, but Dallas and Portland have a case to be ahead of us.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Split T wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:04 am
djy2j wrote:

1. His minutes went up as the season progressed and his numbers actually improved. He played 26 minutes a game after the all star break and averaged 13/9/3 and had a TS% of .635

3. He actually did play “better” by your standards anyways as his fg% at the rim and in the paint was at a career high. Yes his 3pt percentage was down, but he essentially stopped shooting them.

5. I’m not saying he’s Christian Wood, I’m saying he’s a solid nba player. Good rotational big.

Good points. However, I think you are overlooking a few important points:

(1) He smells bad
(2) I don’t like him.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Split T wrote:
djy2j wrote:

1. The Dubs were 2.2 points better per 100 possessions with Chriss off the floor than they were with him on it, per NBA.com.Jul 6, 2020
2. Poor wording choice on my part honestly. I really Marquees'd explaining myself there ;)
3. He was probably used a bit better than while on the Suns for sure. Couldn't have been in a worse situation.
4. My bad. I thought he was still on his GLeague deal. Looks like a 2 year minumum deal.
5. He's not quite a good rotational big. He was a last man standing rotational big on an injury decimated team. He was cut and brought back on another deal 8 days later mid season due to cap issues and injury issues.
6. I am not wrong YET. IF he improves this season then I will be wrong. He was literally the Warriors 15th man last year and looks to be going into the season this year.

Not rooting for his demise by any means. My whole point is he hasn't done enough to warrant bashing a former team. He's a borderline NBA player. He was over payed by the team he's bitching about. Never earned that paycheck hence why he gets paid the lowest salary now.

Indy

Post by Indy »

djy2j wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:16 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:11 am
I think Kendrick Perkins' basketball takes are terrible, so, yeah...
I'd be fine with never hearing he or Jalen Rose talk about basketball ever again. Cringeworthy most of the time.
Add Paul Pierce to that list.

Split T

Post by Split T »

djy2j wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:42 am
Split T wrote:
djy2j wrote:

1. The Dubs were 2.2 points better per 100 possessions with Chriss off the floor than they were with him on it, per NBA.com.Jul 6, 2020
2. Poor wording choice on my part honestly. I really Marquees'd explaining myself there ;)
3. He was probably used a bit better than while on the Suns for sure. Couldn't have been in a worse situation.
4. My bad. I thought he was still on his GLeague deal. Looks like a 2 year minumum deal.
5. He's not quite a good rotational big. He was a last man standing rotational big on an injury decimated team. He was cut and brought back on another deal 8 days later mid season due to cap issues and injury issues.
6. I am not wrong YET. IF he improves this season then I will be wrong. He was literally the Warriors 15th man last year and looks to be going into the season this year.

Not rooting for his demise by any means. My whole point is he hasn't done enough to warrant bashing a former team. He's a borderline NBA player. He was over payed by the team he's bitching about. Never earned that paycheck hence why he gets paid the lowest salary now.
Just a couple things...

1. He was cut because he was the only non guaranteed deal. They were going to lose Damion Lee and worked out a deal with Chriss. They always were bringing him back.

2. Yes they were injury decimated, but he ended up leading that team in WS and WS/48. He wasn’t the 15th man and I fully expect him to be a part of the rotation this year.

3. Ya he wasn’t good here and was a bust for us. I think he’s bashing an organization that isn’t around anymore...it was McD who handled his situation. So I think his comments are ill-informed but he’s not wrong that the organization was a mess when he was here. He just doesn’t realize it’s better now and he’s standing up for his new teammate. It is what it is, I’m glad the players coming in(CP3, Crowder, Moore) are realizing this is a new organization and speaking to that.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Full schedule for the first half of the season has been released: https://www.nba.com/suns/schedule

https://arizonasports.com/story/2466758 ... -tv-games/
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

13 nationally televised games for the first half. 5 on ESPN, 4 on TNT, 4 on NBA TV

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:52 pm
13 nationally televised games for the first half. 5 on ESPN, 4 on TNT, 4 on NBA TV
Whoa! What a difference a year makes!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

We're starting out 4-0 going into the Jazz game in SLC. Book it!
"Be Legendary."

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:06 pm
Split T wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:52 pm
Whoa! What a difference a year makes!
Absolutely. Bubble plus Paul makes us way more desirable to watch.

Also, I’m happy because we will be shown over here in the UK WAY more.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:12 am
Superbone wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:05 am

People are always scared to stray too far from the status quo. It’s hard for people to not have the last 10 years in the back of their minds when evaluating us.
Putting the Suns ahead of the Warriors is a pretty big deal IMO.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.