Suns News: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns News: Offseason

Post by Split T »

The suns have been listed as “interested” in practically every big name free agent this off season. Do we think people are just looking at cap space and potential needs and making assumptions? Are player agents the source? Trying to drum up interest in their clients. I can’t imagine the suns would want people talking about us signing FVV, Grant, Bertans, Wood, etc. only for us to just bring back Saric, Carter, and Payne with no major FA signings.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:03 pm
Are player agents the source? Trying to drum up interest in their clients.
Yes. 99.9% of the time it's this and the 0.01% of the time it's tampering.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

We’ll see what happens. I do expect us to be active though, maybe I’m being too optimistic.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:57 pm
I'm still not going to believe any of this stuff is possible until it happens.

I'm not convinced that Sarver is willing and/or in a financial position to commit $20+ in additional roster salary this offseason.
I absolutely agree. But it's fun to see that the Suns are in a place where a couple of good moves could make us significantly better.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:41 pm
We’ll see what happens. I do expect us to be active though, maybe I’m being too optimistic.
I think the Suns will be active, but these dream scenarios where we somehow get FVV and Wood all end up with Sarver spending a lot more next year, and i don't see that happening.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:47 am
Split T wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:41 pm
I think the Suns will be active, but these dream scenarios where we somehow get FVV and Wood all end up with Sarver spending a lot more next year, and i don't see that happening.
It has us committing more money for the future, but not actually spending anymore next year. We operated up to the cap last year with Kaminsky’s exception deal pushing us slightly over. In order to get FVV and Wood, we will have to be operating under the cap again. We’d push right up to it again and rumors are the cap will be the exact same.

If we acquire them in S&T deals there is a possibility of pushing past the cap a little bit, but nothing substantial. We spent 121 million on player salary this last year, I imagine we will be right about there again. Even if we bring in Wood/FVV

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

But if we renounce everyone to make those signings, we still have to fill out the roster. Even small contracts add up.

Dropping Rubio, Saric, Baynes, and Kaminsky
Adding FVV and Wood at ~$40 million
That breaks about even and we still need bigs. It's going to be 6-10 million more.

It's definitely possible, it's just a stretch of the imagination for this organization.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'll believe that Saver digs deep into his pockets when I see it. We're in a pandemic and a recession, and his real estate properties are hurting. And we just dumped our G-League team to save a few bucks. That's not a sign that he is likely to spend a lot. I doubt this is the year he decides to splurge on free agents.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:59 am
I'll believe that Saver digs deep into his pockets when I see it. We're in a pandemic and a recession, and his real estate properties are hurting. And we just dumped our G-League team to save a few bucks. That's not a sign that he is likely to spend a lot. I doubt this is the year he decides to splurge on free agents.
Agreed. I’m expecting an underwhelming offseason, with the front office saying “run it back”-which really isn’t a terrible thing.

That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if we tried the number 10 pick for an underwhelming veteran

Split T

Post by Split T »

You guys are probably the smart ones...I feel like I’ve set myself up to be disappointed if we don’t get FVV or Wood.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

I fully expect Amare appearing just for Sarver to say again "that's our off season free agent"

Indy

Post by Indy »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:39 am
I fully expect Amare appearing just for Sarver to say again "that's our off season free agent"
Ugh. I was at that draft "party" inside AWA. The look on people's faces said it all.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Listening to Sam Vecenie podcast on pacific division offseason preview. They both agree Suns should be all in on Fred Van Vleet. And if we can’t get him, probably shouldn’t make any other long term deals and try again in 2021 for a long term piece.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Rubio was a huge part of the Suns success this year IMO. I can just see us dumping Rubio in hopes of getting FVV and then not getting him and then going back to the revolving PG scenario again for another fail year.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Nodack wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:25 pm
Rubio was a huge part of the Suns success this year IMO. I can just see us dumping Rubio in hopes of getting FVV and then not getting him and then going back to the revolving PG scenario again for another fail year.
Yeah, I don't see that happening at all. They would deserve to get raked if the FO is dumb enough to do that and fall on their face.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nodack wrote:
The Suns front office would NEVER botch their PG situation! Why, the day the Suns have a perfectly good European PG on the roster but then blow it by going out and signing another highly paid PG to basically replace him and then awkwardly keep both of them around, causing the Euro PG to get upset and ultimately need to be traded off the team, is the day I'll eat my hat. Never would my Suns do that!

Cap

Post by Cap »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:38 pm
Nodack wrote:
The Suns front office would NEVER botch their PG situation! Why, the day the Suns have a perfectly good European PG on the roster but then blow it by going out and signing another highly paid PG to basically replace him and then awkwardly keep both of them around, causing the Euro PG to get upset and ultimately need to be traded off the team, is the day I'll eat my hat. Never would my Suns do that!
Nothing wrong with having two starter-quality PGs. The problem was having the three best players on the team all being PGs.

Then again, KJ-Kidd-Nash worked pretty well. I guess the problem was having three star PGs, and crap everywhere else.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The problem was we took the ball out of the hands of our best player because he also happened to be the best suited to play off the ball. Bledsoe and IT don’t provide much value without the ball in their hands. Dragic could still shoot, so he got relegated to 2 guard and sometimes the 3.

Have 2 point guards that can both play on and off the ball and it’s not a problem. In FVV and Rubio’s case I think that’s true. FVV for sure can, he has been playing sg the last couple years. Rubio is a little trickier, he’s not someone you’re gonna run off screens to get him looks from 3, but he did shoot 42% on catch and shoot 3’s this year. Teams leave him open and he can hit the shot. And if they close out, he can drive or find the next guy.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:38 pm
Nodack wrote:
If Ryan was still here, I would agree with your sarcasm.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Thinking of it a different way, why would FVV want to come here if we don't get rid of Rubio? Wouldn't FVV want the PG spot to himself and not be crowded in by another starter-caliber PG?