Around the League: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:51 pm
Mori isn’t gonna be happy...no Rubio on there.
Well I mean, the list is total garbage. Ugly stick PJ Tucker first team? Caveman Steven Adams?? Fatass Kyle Lowry? Get the FOH!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I've seen MLK Day mentioned as a date for next season but I still think January may be on the early side.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:24 pm
I've seen MLK Day mentioned as a date for next season but I still think January may be on the early side.

MLK would be a great kick off, but I agree that it sounds early. When you look at the death curve in the US, we haven't peaked yet. It may not even be into the 2nd wave yet.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Also, I should add that I got a survey a couple weeks ago from the NBA/Suns for season ticket holders. It asked a ton of questions about what risks you are willing to take to see games in person. Lots of, "do you care about what your local government says, or federal, or science?" And "would you be likely to go to a game before there is a vaccine?"

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:19 pm
Also, I should add that I got a survey a couple weeks ago from the NBA/Suns for season ticket holders. It asked a ton of questions about what risks you are willing to take to see games in person. Lots of, "do you care about what your local government says, or federal, or science?" And "would you be likely to go to a game before there is a vaccine?"
We're all going to die, aren't we?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:21 pm
Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:19 pm
We're all going to die, aren't we?
eventually, yep.

I am actually hoping that one of the reasons Silver is saying January as best case, is because he knows the results of the surveys from the season ticket holders across the league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

And keep in mind that you pay for your tickets well in advance of the season. I have already paid for half of the 20-21 season, and we don't know when it will start or even how many games there will be. And I think global pandemic qualifies as a reason for refunds. So if they start too soon, they are going to be refunding a lot of money.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Should be a good hire for the Bulls, but they've also been a mess up top for years. New GM, new coach should lead to a fresh start:

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:11 pm
Should be a good hire for the Bulls, but they've also been a mess up top for years. New GM, new coach should lead to a fresh start:

Agreed. I think they can improve quite a bit this yr. I'm not a fan of Billy Donovan though, but think he's an upgrade and they do have talent on the team.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The other thing being talked about with Donovan is that he and the Thunder supposedly part ways because he didn't want to be part of a rebuilding situation....so he joined the Bulls? Maybe the Thunder are going to tear it down altogether but it seems like maybe it wasn't so mutual since you'd at least trust Presti in a rebuild if you're Donovan.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

https://hoopshype.com/storyline/dragan- ... ee-agency/

Looks like Bender is back to playing in Israel.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't know what I think of Donovan. Do we know that Donovan is a good coach? I'm not a hater, but I'm just wondering. The Thunder were pretty good this year, but I attributed that more to their great roster and Chris Paul's leadership. It feels to me like OKC didn't want him back, which is telling given that they have such a sharp FO.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:14 am
https://hoopshype.com/storyline/dragan- ... ee-agency/

Looks like Bender is back to playing in Israel.
Shocking! Who could have seen that coming!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

From my perspective, Presti and the OKC FO are at fault as much as Donovan for their shortcomings. I don't think Donovan is an exceptional coach, but he's not exactly on his last legs in the league.

My coach rankings
1. Nick Nurse
2. Erik Spoelstra
3. Greg Popovich
4. Brad Stevens
5. Steve Kerr
----
6. Terry Stotts
7. Rick Carlisle
8. Monty Williams (homer)
9. Mike Malone
10. Mike Budenholzer
11. Mike D'Antoni
12. Doc Rivers
13. Billy Donovan
14. Taylor Jenkins
15. Quin Snyder

I think the top 5 are pretty clearly a class above the rest of the league and 6-15 are interchangeable depending on how their team is playing. The point is, I think Donovan belongs in the league. Hell, I didn't even put Vogel in the top 15 an his team will probably win the title this year, so a lot of times it just depends on being in the right place at the right time.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

carey

Post by carey »

Tyler Herro is so good. They are saying the exact same things about him that they said about Devin Booker his first season.

The Heat on the whole are excellently coached. Two very evenly matched teams. Heat are just out executing right now.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I’m gonna take a victory lap on the Tyler Herro thing.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Kentucky guards at 13. Maybe we should trade back to 13 and take Maxey? Haha

Also, Herro goes 3rd in a redraft, right?

I don’t remember having many thoughts about him at all. We were picking 6 and that seemed too high, but he’s clearly a very good player with a bright future. Having one heck of a game.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I kinda had this one leading up to the draft as well.
Flagrant Fowl wrote:I also like Herro. I feel like he's going to be taken much earlier than most are expecting, or he'll go in the late first round and look like a steal for that team in a year from now.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

It's really impressive to see how successful the Heat have been using Herro as the backup PG. Great coaching and Hero and Adebayo both look like perennial all-stars.

Yeah, Split. Hero goes 3 in a redraft if you did it today. If Zion can't get healthy, Hero will be in the top 2 by the end of next year.

How about Adebayo? Does he go #2 in a redraft? I feel like Philly would take Mitchell and LA would take Adebayo. He's for sure in the top 5 with Mitchell, Tatum, Fox and Davon Reed.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:59 am
It's really impressive to see how successful the Heat have been using Herro as the backup PG. Great coaching and Hero and Adebayo both look like perennial all-stars.

Yeah, Split. Hero goes 3 in a redraft if you did it today. If Zion can't get healthy, Hero will be in the top 2 by the end of next year.

How about Adebayo? Does he go #2 in a redraft? I feel like Philly would take Mitchell and LA would take Adebayo. He's for sure in the top 5 with Mitchell, Tatum, Fox and Davon Reed.
I think Tatum/Mitchell go 1 and 2. Fox and Adebayo fighting for 3rd spot. Personally, I’d consider Isaac in that group fighting for 3rd too, but his injury concerns probably drop him to 5th. John Collins, OG Anunoby, Kyle Kuzma next.