Around the League: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by O_Gardino »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:13 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:20 am
That John Wall contract extension still shocks me. I have to check to see if it really is that bad, then I find out it was even worse than I remembered. My brain can't handle a contract that bad.

He was injured for 2 years before that crazy extension kicked in. This dude has made 75 million since his last healthy season, and he has 120 million left on his contract. He's on track to make 200 million without making a meaningful contribution the the league.

I would love to see a John Wall rule in the next CBA where all nba contracts are only partially guaranteed.
- Bring back the inactive list.
- If you go on the inactive list, you have to sit out a minimum of 5 games.
- While a player is on the inactive list, the team can bring in another player to fill that roster spot.
- If I player spends more than 20 games on the inactive list, he only gets paid a % of his contract,
- If the contract is greater than room exception or lower, then the lowest the salary can go is the room exception for the year it was signed.
- Luxury tax is calculated on what teams actually pay.
- During the offseason, all players are assumed to be healthy for the next season, unless...
- If a player is placed on the inactive list during the offseason, he can only play a maximum of 20 games and his salary is reduced accordingly.
Just make it so the a cut player's contract doesn't count against the cap. The player still gets the money he is entitled to and the team can mome on from the albatross and try to compete. Also make it that in case the player is signed by another team, the former team doesn't have to pay the equivalent to his new contract.
I think that stuff is already in place. Can someone confirm or deny?

In any case, that helps NY and LA but maybe not anyone else. The Wiz aren't bringing in enough cash to pay the salary cap + 40m regardless of tax implications.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think I’d just get rid of max contracts altogether. I think it might actually lower a lot of the don’t deserve a max but got it anyways guys. If there isn’t an expectation of being a “max guy” contract negotiations would change.

I wonder how eliminating individual max restrictions, putting in a hard cap, and creating more ways to clear cap space(while still guaranteeing players get their money) would impact the game.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:30 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
That John Wall contract extension still shocks me. I have to check to see if it really is that bad, then I find out it was even worse than I remembered. My brain can't handle a contract that bad.

He was injured for 2 years before that crazy extension kicked in. This dude has made 75 million since his last healthy season, and he has 120 million left on his contract. He's on track to make 200 million without making a meaningful contribution the the league.

I would love to see a John Wall rule in the next CBA where all nba contracts are only partially guaranteed.
- While a player is on the inactive list, the team can bring in another player to fill that roster spot.
- If I player spends more than 20 games on the inactive list, he only gets paid a % of his contract,
- If the contract is greater than room exception or lower, then the lowest the salary can go is the room exception for the year it was signed.
- During the offseason, all players are assumed to be healthy for the next season, unless...
- If a player is placed on the inactive list during the offseason, he can only play a maximum of 20 games and his salary is reduced accordingly.
Just make it so the a cut player's contract doesn't count against the cap. The player still gets the money he is entitled to and the team can mome on from the albatross and try to compete. Also make it that in case the player is signed by another team, the former team doesn't have to pay the equivalent to his new contract.

In any case, that helps NY and LA but maybe not anyone else. The Wiz aren't bringing in enough cash to pay the salary cap + 40m regardless of tax implications.
If you cut a player, he still counts against the cap.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:33 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

Thanks Split. I miread the cut player thing. I was still thinking of injured players.

Isn't there is a way for teams to request an injury exception where the player's salary doesn't count against the cap? I don't know why I think that, but I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere.

And then there was the Allan Houston rule.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

O_Gardino wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

This would help every team. Some teams can potentially benefit more, but that depends on the kind of owner you have.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:00 am
Split T wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:33 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

Thanks Split. I miread the cut player thing. I was still thinking of injured players.

Isn't there is a way for teams to request an injury exception where the player's salary doesn't count against the cap? I don't know why I think that, but I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere.

And then there was the Allan Houston rule.
Ya you can get an injured player exception. Not sure how that’s determined, but GS got one for Klay this year. It’s not for the full salary of the player though. I think GS has like 9 million?

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Looks like Dwane Casey is hoping to turn Josh Jackson's career around similar to Christian Wood.

https://www.nba.com/pistons/features/jo ... eclamation
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Hopefully the guy figures it out.

What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

Josh Jackson has a ton of talent. Detroit was smart to take a chance on him, though 10 million guaranteed over 2 years seems a little high for what he’s accomplished. Could turn out to be well worth the risk.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:03 pm
Josh Jackson has a ton of talent. Detroit was smart to take a chance on him, though 10 million guaranteed over 2 years seems a little high for what he’s accomplished. Could turn out to be well worth the risk.
You can't tell me there was a bidding war for Josh Jackson. I find it hard to believe they couldn't have got him for half that, and maybe even lower.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:10 pm
Split T wrote:
You can't tell me there was a bidding war for Josh Jackson. I find it hard to believe they couldn't have got him for half that, and maybe even lower.
I suspect that kind of money in his hands will be dangerous. Hope I'm wrong and he hired a decent financial advisor.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
I agree, overpay for sure...but Detroit did far more confusing things this offseason. 3 years 60 million for Grant seems like a bigger overpay and could be more harmful in the long run.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:19 pm
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
I agree, overpay for sure...but Detroit did far more confusing things this offseason. 3 years 60 million for Grant seems like a bigger overpay and could be more harmful in the long run.
That was an AWFUL deal. Their roster makes no sense.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I wonder what Whatson and KoshGoshMiKov cost all those young dudes in terms of development. I honestly hope Jackson, Chriss, and Bender can grow into good careers.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

And wow, Detroit is crazy.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:03 pm
I wonder what Whatson and KoshGoshMiKov cost all those young dudes in terms of development. I honestly hope Jackson, Chriss, and Bender can grow into good careers.
I think there was a lot of factors at play. Jackson and Chris’s had some maturity issues coming into the league. Jackson also had some off the court problems. They came into an unstable team situation that obviously didn’t help. Chriss has found some stability and had a nice little season last year. He’s no star, but he’s an NBA player. We threw him to the wolves at 19 when he needed to be brought along slowly.

I think Jackson is mostly to blame for his failings, but we also didn’t help too much. He behaved better in Memphis and they made some adjustments to his game that were beneficial. I don’t think he really got any better, but he traded in his long 2’s for 3’s and became a slightly more efficient player. He’s got a lot of tools, but they don’t really work without a jumpshot, so that’s always going to be his big question.

As for Bender, I just never really saw the nba player in him. He was on ok shooter, he seemed to be fairly smart, but he just seemed too hesitant, too slow, too unathletic, too weak to be an NBA player. He was also incredibly young as well, though I imagine he’s just better suited for Europe.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Good news for DA?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:11 am

If you’re interested in our new pg.
Listening to this made me more optimistic that I probably should be about Chris Paul and the Suns for this upcoming season. It was also nice to reminisce and gloat to myself about Paul being my favorite non-Suns player in the league during his New Orleans Hornets days and that I was always in favor of him over Deron Williams.

I think he has at least one really elite season left in the tank and then we'll see if he can transition into a late career Jason Kidd role for a few seasons.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:49 pm
The nfl has actually managed ok I think.
They've done well in spreading the virus.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:56 pm
That's an awful deal for Houston
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.