Around the League: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:03 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:45 pm
I do think Westbrook should play differently, I just don’t find stat padding all that offensive. He should stop shooting 3’s and figure out how to cut off ball.

1 point of correction is he didn’t start chasing triple doubles until KD left.
And KD left because he isn't a killer. He got beat, never could get over the hump, and joined the best team in the league. Oh, and it was fucking Oklahoma City. Anyone that has spent a minute there knows you don't want to live half your life there. Especially as a black person with the means to live where ever you want.
I had no problem with KD leaving. As a fan I wish he would have stayed(Thought OKC actually had a chance to compete against GS) or at least gone to a team that wasn’t already a powerhouse.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:12 pm
Indy wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:03 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:45 pm
I do think Westbrook should play differently, I just don’t find stat padding all that offensive. He should stop shooting 3’s and figure out how to cut off ball.

1 point of correction is he didn’t start chasing triple doubles until KD left.
And KD left because he isn't a killer. He got beat, never could get over the hump, and joined the best team in the league. Oh, and it was fucking Oklahoma City. Anyone that has spent a minute there knows you don't want to live half your life there. Especially as a black person with the means to live where ever you want.
I had no problem with KD leaving. As a fan I wish he would have stayed(Thought OKC actually had a chance to compete against GS) or at least gone to a team that wasn’t already a powerhouse.
I don't either. He gave them plenty of years to build around him, and despite all the back to back to back MVPs, the couldn't do it. So he moved on to a place he loved. Good for him. And now he did that with Brooklyn. Again, good for him. I would love to be paid guaranteed money in the 40M range each year (even if I couldn't work that year) and pick the city I live in.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

If Book was going for stat records or statistical combos to the detriment of winning multiple games or that it limited our whole team’s success consistently, I would not enjoy being a Suns or Booker fan. Thankfully, great players make their records organically in the context of being competitive.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:50 pm
If Book was going for stat records or statistical combos to the detriment of winning multiple games or that it limited our whole team’s success consistently, I would not enjoy being a Suns or Booker fan. Thankfully, great players make their records organically in the context of being competitive.
the 70 point game was ridiculous and never should have happened. it was a really bad look for Book and the team and the coach. It was complete stat chasing at the detriment to the team.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Indy wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:56 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
the 70 point game was ridiculous and never should have happened. it was a really bad look for Book and the team and the coach. It was complete stat chasing at the detriment to the team.
I agree. But there’s an ocean between one game and a whole season and playoffs run.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Indy wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
I actually never saw that game in question (not even highlights); what's the context for what you're saying? I'm guessing they threw the game (so to speak) in lieu of feeding Booker the ball?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:49 pm
Indy wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
I actually never saw that game in question (not even highlights); what's the context for what you're saying? I'm guessing they threw the game (so to speak) in lieu of feeding Booker the ball?
He scored the last 20 or so in garbage time. We trailed big the whole game.

Split T

Post by Split T »

We didn’t throw the game...we weren’t good enough to do that, haha. Mostly we just kept feeding Book. In the last minute or so we started fouling and calling timeouts to get Booker the ball back.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

IIRC, we were down something like 30 in the first quarter when Book took over.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:18 pm
It was 22-3 when Booker scored his first points to make it 22-5. We didn’t get much closer.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I looked it up. The Suns were losing 3-22 with less than 5 minutes left in the first when Book took over the offence. IMO it wasn't so much stat chasing as it was the whole team recognizing that he was the only guy on the roster who could score that night. He was the one varsity player on that JV team.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/bo ... 40BOS.html

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:19 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
It was 22-3 when Booker scored his first points to make it 22-5. We didn’t get much closer.
You beat me to it.

Dunno how you can say we didn't get much closer when the final score was only a 10 point gap. He cut the lead in half.

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:27 pm
Cap wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:19 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
You beat me to it.

Dunno how you can say we didn't get much closer when the final score was only a 10 point gap. He cut the lead in half.
Being down 10 points at the final buzzer, or down 13 with two minutes to play, is not really “much closer” than down 17 in the first quarter. It doesn’t improve your win probability.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think the stat chasing really only happened at the end of the game. He got to 60 pretty legitimately, I think he was playing with Ulis, Jones jr, Chriss, etc. I think Dudley was the next best player in the game. So he had to score. It was the fouling and timeouts in the last minute when we were down double digits that was questionable.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:06 pm
ShelC wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:17 pm
Strap in Saucy:

I just had a stroke. Just take a knife and jab it into my ears until I don’t have to hear that any more. What the fuck is he even saying lol
That’s a Bruce Lee quote he’s butchering.

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

He's a toad. Stop talking.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I watched that Oubre "water" video and cracked up thinking of Sauce watching it and spitting on his screen in disgust.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:13 am
I watched that Oubre "water" video and cracked up thinking of Sauce watching it and spitting on his screen in disgust.
I did the same. I think every time I hear him talk in the future, I will be thinking about Saucey and how hard his eyes will be rolling. (By the way, mine were rolling pretty hard during that last clip too.)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:52 am
Mori Chu wrote:
I did the same. I think every time I hear him talk in the future, I will be thinking about Saucey and how hard his eyes will be rolling. (By the way, mine were rolling pretty hard during that last clip too.)
Whereas I moved seamlessly through the water with Oubre Jr. in spirit while our chakras were aligned. Sucks to be you guys!
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:05 pm
Indy wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:52 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Whereas I moved seamlessly through the water with Oubre Jr. in spirit while our chakras were aligned. Sucks to be you guys!
Thank you guys for acknowledging at least that he’s spouting pure nonsense lol