Around the League: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by ShelC »

Then they should've had these dates and plans figured out by now. To essentially get an entire offseason worth of work in in 2 months? I get the money part of it, just feels like the NBA had time to get these things lined up and now is pushing dates out without any consensus from the teams or players.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya that’s fair, I’m sure every front office hates this. Same with the Lakers, Heat, Nuggets, Celtics. I would expect to see a lot of load management this year from those teams.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

They're going to save/make money starting earlier, but have an inferior product. It's a trade-off, just sucks. And again, what was stopping them from holding the draft last week or this week and having FA a week after? The draft date should've been the easiest and first thing to figure out.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya they pushed it back to figure things out...I think when they pushed it back they were probably expecting a January or later start. I wonder what would stop them from moving it up a week. Make it Nov. 11th now and get an extra week for free agency. Or just do free agency before the draft. That brings extra cap problems into play though.

But teams have had plenty of time to prep for the draft. Feel like moving it up a week, even now, would be doable.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

If that's the start of training camp, when does FA start?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

No less than a week after the draft, probably 3-5 days later and maybe no moratorium.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya probably Nov. 22 or around there

Indy

Post by Indy »

I just can't see a way they will start training camp in 5 weeks.

carey

Post by carey »

So the draft is Nov. 18th and then they start training camp 2 weeks later? That will be fun for rookies.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm worried that it sounds like they don't want to do a "bubble" or similar for next season. COVID is as rampant as it's ever been; there were 70k new cases just yesterday, and last Thu/Fri were over 80k new cases, a new record. We haven't gotten through the pandemic yet. If anything it's more widespread and dangerous than it was before the bubble season. Why wouldn't they take the same level of precaution for next season?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:48 am
I'm worried that it sounds like they don't want to do a "bubble" or similar for next season. COVID is as rampant as it's ever been; there were 70k new cases just yesterday, and last Thu/Fri were over 80k new cases, a new record. We haven't gotten through the pandemic yet. If anything it's more widespread and dangerous than it was before the bubble season. Why wouldn't they take the same level of precaution for next season?
Because they are trying to draw the line between being perfect (or damn close) like they were in the bubble, to what is happening in the NFL and MLB. Yep, they had quite a few cases and moved/cancelled games as a result, but they are playing. And every game cancelled costs the owners and players a ton.

Not saying it is smart, just saying why.

By the way, I don't plan to be back in the arena to watch Suns basketball until there is a widely distributed, globally verified vaccine.

Split T

Post by Split T »

There’s no chance the players would agree to a bubble again

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:12 pm
There’s no chance the players would agree to a bubble again
I think it depends on how long it was. If there were 3-4 bubbles around the country, and you really did play more "regional series" that could work. I think they are just trying to get through next summer/fall when there should be wide-spread vaccine deployment.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

This happened.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Also the Jazz were sold

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LOL, how does Philly go from Hinkie to Colangelo to Morey? Didn't they hate having a wheeling-and-dealing, asset-hungry "process" GM? Oh well. I do think Morey's one of the best there is, and they're quite smart to hire him. I'd wager he will give much more priority to shooting for that team; they really need to add some marksmen to their roster. I also bet he'll try to ship out one of Embiid or Simmons to get assets.

Indy

Post by Indy »

A 5 year deal is huge. I am wondering if it is fully guaranteed.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:57 am
Also the Jazz were sold
Yeah, I am going to keep hoping. If they went for 1.6B in a down market, hopefully it will make Sarver think about it. I just am not sure how many multi-billionaires are willing to buy and willing to keep the franchise here.