Around the League: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Post Reply
User avatar
Split T
Posts: 9613
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Split T » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:45 pm

Tyrese Haliburton • Killian Hayes • Aaron Nesmith • Tyrell Terry • Patrick Williams • RJ Hampton • Kira Lewis • Alexsej Pokusevski

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 6358
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by ShelC » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:49 pm

KAT for Ayton make it happen.

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 9613
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Split T » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:50 pm

I’d do it. He’s perfect for our offense. We’d have to live with being mediocre at best defensively.
Tyrese Haliburton • Killian Hayes • Aaron Nesmith • Tyrell Terry • Patrick Williams • RJ Hampton • Kira Lewis • Alexsej Pokusevski

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 10877
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Indy » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:11 pm

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:50 pm
I’d do it. He’s perfect for our offense. We’d have to live with being mediocre at best defensively.
"Mediocre" is the best we could hope for. We'd be asking Mikal to play defense on the best back court and best front court player at the same time. I can see us scoring 120 a game and still have a negative point differential.

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 6358
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by ShelC » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:23 pm

KAT's advanced defensive numbers are better than Ayton's?

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 9613
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Split T » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:24 pm

Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:11 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:50 pm
I’d do it. He’s perfect for our offense. We’d have to live with being mediocre at best defensively.
"Mediocre" is the best we could hope for. We'd be asking Mikal to play defense on the best back court and best front court player at the same time. I can see us scoring 120 a game and still have a negative point differential.
I think that’s a little far. Minnesota hasn’t been that bad defensively. You put 3 other good defenders on the court and you can be fine. Denver is ok with Jokic/Murray.
Tyrese Haliburton • Killian Hayes • Aaron Nesmith • Tyrell Terry • Patrick Williams • RJ Hampton • Kira Lewis • Alexsej Pokusevski

User avatar
virtual9mm
Posts: 843
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:24 pm

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by virtual9mm » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:51 pm

Run KAT and Ayton together lol. I would rather have Ayton IMHO

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 9613
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Split T » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:44 pm

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:51 pm
Run KAT and Ayton together lol. I would rather have Ayton IMHO
I’d rather have a fully realized Ayton, but the question is whether he fully realizes who he can be. I know what KAT is, he might be the best scoring big of all time.
Tyrese Haliburton • Killian Hayes • Aaron Nesmith • Tyrell Terry • Patrick Williams • RJ Hampton • Kira Lewis • Alexsej Pokusevski

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 18302
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Superbone » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:59 pm

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:44 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:51 pm
Run KAT and Ayton together lol. I would rather have Ayton IMHO
I’d rather have a fully realized Ayton, but the question is whether he fully realizes who he can be. I know what KAT is, he might be the best scoring big of all time.
Yep, the old known versus unknown quandary. Although they often say, an offensive monster in the hand is worth two potential high level, two way players in the bush.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. ACCOMPLISHED! 34 wins in a shortened season!

User avatar
Flagrant Fowl
Posts: 3328
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:04 am
Location: Haeundae, Busan, South Korea

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Flagrant Fowl » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:14 pm

Plot Twist: The 'really good player' who's friends with KAT is DAR. :lol:
UOducks4life in a previous life. Valar Morghulis.

User avatar
Democritus
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:00 pm
Location: Somewhere in Anatolia

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Democritus » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:05 am

Ayton will never be the player KAT is now offensively.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

User avatar
ShelC
Posts: 6358
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:00 am

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by ShelC » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:58 am

Democritus wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:05 am
Ayton will never be the player KAT is now offensively.
I wouldn't hold that against Ayton tho. They're just different players.

User avatar
Democritus
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:00 pm
Location: Somewhere in Anatolia

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Democritus » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:33 am

ShelC wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:58 am
Democritus wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:05 am
Ayton will never be the player KAT is now offensively.
I wouldn't hold that against Ayton tho. They're just different players.
Yes, I admit that DA is just a different player but I can not TRUST him. On the other hand pairing KAT with Book and Mikal..oh man I'm just daydreaimg here.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 10877
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Indy » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:24 am

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:24 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:11 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:50 pm
I’d do it. He’s perfect for our offense. We’d have to live with being mediocre at best defensively.
"Mediocre" is the best we could hope for. We'd be asking Mikal to play defense on the best back court and best front court player at the same time. I can see us scoring 120 a game and still have a negative point differential.
I think that’s a little far. Minnesota hasn’t been that bad defensively. You put 3 other good defenders on the court and you can be fine. Denver is ok with Jokic/Murray.
Yeah I was probably too hard on KAT. I guess I am a homer that is just hoping Ayton can turn into a DPOY-type center.

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 9613
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Split T » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:28 am

Indy wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:24 am
Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:24 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:11 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:50 pm
I’d do it. He’s perfect for our offense. We’d have to live with being mediocre at best defensively.
"Mediocre" is the best we could hope for. We'd be asking Mikal to play defense on the best back court and best front court player at the same time. I can see us scoring 120 a game and still have a negative point differential.
I think that’s a little far. Minnesota hasn’t been that bad defensively. You put 3 other good defenders on the court and you can be fine. Denver is ok with Jokic/Murray.
Yeah I was probably too hard on KAT. I guess I am a homer that is just hoping Ayton can turn into a DPOY-type center.
That is the reason to keep Ayton. He showed more defensively last year than KAT ever has. I just worry about the offense. And by worry, I just mean I worry he’ll never be elite offensively. He’s good offensively.
Tyrese Haliburton • Killian Hayes • Aaron Nesmith • Tyrell Terry • Patrick Williams • RJ Hampton • Kira Lewis • Alexsej Pokusevski

User avatar
Superbone
Posts: 18302
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:44 am
Location: Escondido, CA (Phoenix Native)

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Superbone » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:44 am

Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:28 am
Indy wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:24 am
Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:24 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:11 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:50 pm
I’d do it. He’s perfect for our offense. We’d have to live with being mediocre at best defensively.
"Mediocre" is the best we could hope for. We'd be asking Mikal to play defense on the best back court and best front court player at the same time. I can see us scoring 120 a game and still have a negative point differential.
I think that’s a little far. Minnesota hasn’t been that bad defensively. You put 3 other good defenders on the court and you can be fine. Denver is ok with Jokic/Murray.
Yeah I was probably too hard on KAT. I guess I am a homer that is just hoping Ayton can turn into a DPOY-type center.
That is the reason to keep Ayton. He showed more defensively last year than KAT ever has. I just worry about the offense. And by worry, I just mean I worry he’ll never be elite offensively. He’s good offensively.
It's the aggressiveness I worry about it. KAT has it offensively. Ayton has been spotty at best.
Wormwood/Superbone 2019/2020 season bet: Suns win < 30 games, Wormwood wins, else 'Bone wins. 1 month avatar shame starting July 1st of winner's choosing. ACCOMPLISHED! 34 wins in a shortened season!

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 9613
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Split T » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:52 am

Ya. The severe lack of free throws is stunning and unforgivable. That’s the biggest thing he needs to solve this off season.
Tyrese Haliburton • Killian Hayes • Aaron Nesmith • Tyrell Terry • Patrick Williams • RJ Hampton • Kira Lewis • Alexsej Pokusevski

User avatar
Indy
Posts: 10877
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Indy » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:58 am

Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:52 am
Ya. The severe lack of free throws is stunning and unforgivable. That’s the biggest thing he needs to solve this off season.
Rudy Gobert has a much lower usage percentage, scores only 15 ppg, but still gets to the line nearly 2.5x as much as Ayton. And that is with Ayton taking TWICE as many shots as Gobert. That is just mind-boggling to me.

User avatar
specialsauce
Posts: 4346
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by specialsauce » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:38 am

I have the same concerns about KATs will to win as I do with DA. He seemed to crumble with Jimmy Butler pressuring him and that worries me how he will handle the big moments and scrutiny that come with playing in playoff games.

That said, he has already established elite offensive ability, whereas DA is good defensively with elite potential.

Id be much more comfortable with Book and KAT on max deals than the current rendition of DA, and the only way I’m changing my mind on that is if DA suddenly flips a switch and decides to get aggressive on the offensive end- I just don’t see that mentality changing. If I knew we could resign DA at a deal mirroring Capela or Turner’s or slightly higher, I’d be much more comfortable. He’s not a max player right now.

So as much as I love how much DA anchors our D, I’d pull that trigger.

User avatar
Split T
Posts: 9613
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:51 am
Location: Provo, Utah

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Split T » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:09 pm



This would solve all our problems, haha
Tyrese Haliburton • Killian Hayes • Aaron Nesmith • Tyrell Terry • Patrick Williams • RJ Hampton • Kira Lewis • Alexsej Pokusevski

Post Reply