Around the League: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Around the League: Offseason

Post by Split T »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

KAT for Ayton make it happen.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’d do it. He’s perfect for our offense. We’d have to live with being mediocre at best defensively.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:50 pm
I’d do it. He’s perfect for our offense. We’d have to live with being mediocre at best defensively.
"Mediocre" is the best we could hope for. We'd be asking Mikal to play defense on the best back court and best front court player at the same time. I can see us scoring 120 a game and still have a negative point differential.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

KAT's advanced defensive numbers are better than Ayton's?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:11 pm
Split T wrote:
"Mediocre" is the best we could hope for. We'd be asking Mikal to play defense on the best back court and best front court player at the same time. I can see us scoring 120 a game and still have a negative point differential.
I think that’s a little far. Minnesota hasn’t been that bad defensively. You put 3 other good defenders on the court and you can be fine. Denver is ok with Jokic/Murray.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Run KAT and Ayton together lol. I would rather have Ayton IMHO

Split T

Post by Split T »

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:51 pm
I’d rather have a fully realized Ayton, but the question is whether he fully realizes who he can be. I know what KAT is, he might be the best scoring big of all time.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:44 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:51 pm
I’d rather have a fully realized Ayton, but the question is whether he fully realizes who he can be. I know what KAT is, he might be the best scoring big of all time.
Yep, the old known versus unknown quandary. Although they often say, an offensive monster in the hand is worth two potential high level, two way players in the bush.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Plot Twist: The 'really good player' who's friends with KAT is DAR. :lol:
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Ayton will never be the player KAT is now offensively.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Democritus wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:05 am
I wouldn't hold that against Ayton tho. They're just different players.

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:58 am
Democritus wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:05 am
I wouldn't hold that against Ayton tho. They're just different players.
Yes, I admit that DA is just a different player but I can not TRUST him. On the other hand pairing KAT with Book and Mikal..oh man I'm just daydreaimg here.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:24 pm
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
I think that’s a little far. Minnesota hasn’t been that bad defensively. You put 3 other good defenders on the court and you can be fine. Denver is ok with Jokic/Murray.
Yeah I was probably too hard on KAT. I guess I am a homer that is just hoping Ayton can turn into a DPOY-type center.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:24 am
Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
Yeah I was probably too hard on KAT. I guess I am a homer that is just hoping Ayton can turn into a DPOY-type center.
That is the reason to keep Ayton. He showed more defensively last year than KAT ever has. I just worry about the offense. And by worry, I just mean I worry he’ll never be elite offensively. He’s good offensively.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:28 am
Indy wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:24 am
Split T wrote:
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:
That is the reason to keep Ayton. He showed more defensively last year than KAT ever has. I just worry about the offense. And by worry, I just mean I worry he’ll never be elite offensively. He’s good offensively.
It's the aggressiveness I worry about it. KAT has it offensively. Ayton has been spotty at best.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya. The severe lack of free throws is stunning and unforgivable. That’s the biggest thing he needs to solve this off season.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:52 am
Ya. The severe lack of free throws is stunning and unforgivable. That’s the biggest thing he needs to solve this off season.
Rudy Gobert has a much lower usage percentage, scores only 15 ppg, but still gets to the line nearly 2.5x as much as Ayton. And that is with Ayton taking TWICE as many shots as Gobert. That is just mind-boggling to me.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I have the same concerns about KATs will to win as I do with DA. He seemed to crumble with Jimmy Butler pressuring him and that worries me how he will handle the big moments and scrutiny that come with playing in playoff games.

That said, he has already established elite offensive ability, whereas DA is good defensively with elite potential.

Id be much more comfortable with Book and KAT on max deals than the current rendition of DA, and the only way I’m changing my mind on that is if DA suddenly flips a switch and decides to get aggressive on the offensive end- I just don’t see that mentality changing. If I knew we could resign DA at a deal mirroring Capela or Turner’s or slightly higher, I’d be much more comfortable. He’s not a max player right now.

So as much as I love how much DA anchors our D, I’d pull that trigger.

Split T

Post by Split T »

This would solve all our problems, haha