NBA Playoffs 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: NBA Playoffs 2020

Post by Mori Chu »

Yeah, well, the 2020 bubble Lakers never beat the undefeated 8-0 Suns. So we're champs, too.

I still don't think this title makes Lebron the GOAT. His stats and career are really amazing, but he's what now, 4-for-10? MJ owned an entire decade in the NBA; nobody could beat him. He struck genuine fear in his opponents, and he always delivered and willed his team to victory. Lebron can't say that. MJ was also a global phenomenon, a celebrity who transcended sports and became a global icon. Lebron, nah. Lebron is probably the #3 or #4 greatest basketball player of all time, and that's an amazing accomplishment, but he's no MJ.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

It looked to me like AD got worse as the playoffs went along. He just wasn't moving as fluidly. I wonder if he'll have surgery this offseason on something.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:02 am
Some time ago, maybe a year or two, one of The Ringer guys talked about appreciating LeBron and a lot of people laughed at it. But he's right.

LeBron is absolutely amazing. The worst thing that can be said about him is that he's meticulously theatrical with his image, and that really means nothing at all in the large scope of things. I hate the Lakers (fans) but I can't blame any millionaire (billionaire?) athlete who wants to live in LA. I'd probably be in a Malibu beach house myself if I had the chance.
This. If money doesn't matter, nobody is living in OKC, or Indiana, or Phoenix.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I understand the arguments for Kareem and Russell and MJ, and until his career is over I won't put him at the top... but Lebron sure looks like the best to ever play.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:56 am
Yeah, well, the 2020 bubble Lakers never beat the undefeated 8-0 Suns. So we're champs, too.

I still don't think this title makes Lebron the GOAT. His stats and career are really amazing, but he's what now, 4-for-10? MJ owned an entire decade in the NBA; nobody could beat him. He struck genuine fear in his opponents, and he always delivered and willed his team to victory. Lebron can't say that. MJ was also a global phenomenon, a celebrity who transcended sports and became a global icon. Lebron, nah. Lebron is probably the #3 or #4 greatest basketball player of all time, and that's an amazing accomplishment, but he's no MJ.
I’m fine if you want to call MJ #1, but Lebron is top 2 and it’s not even close.

If MJ never existed, Lebron would be GOAT and it wouldn’t even be a debate.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:34 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Some time ago, maybe a year or two, one of The Ringer guys talked about appreciating LeBron and a lot of people laughed at it. But he's right.

LeBron is absolutely amazing. The worst thing that can be said about him is that he's meticulously theatrical with his image, and that really means nothing at all in the large scope of things. I hate the Lakers (fans) but I can't blame any millionaire (billionaire?) athlete who wants to live in LA. I'd probably be in a Malibu beach house myself if I had the chance.
I don’t think I’d put Phoenix in that category. Of course almost anyone would choose Malibu over Phoenix, but a lot of people like living in Phoenix. It’s clearly a couple tiers above OKC and Indiana at least.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:59 am
It looked to me like AD got worse as the playoffs went along. He just wasn't moving as fluidly. I wonder if he'll have surgery this offseason on something.
I agree. By the end he was limping around and seemed quite sluggish. He still put up good numbers, but he did not seem quite right. I think you're right that he may end up getting some kind of leg-related operation in the offseason.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It’s just a heel contusion right? Should just need rest. Unless you guys are thinking something else might be wrong.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I noticed it before the heel contusion. But it might have just been my imagination. It's easy to jump to that conclusion with AD.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

BookTheGoat

Post by BookTheGoat »

Mori Chu wrote:

Old man yells at clouds.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

With the traffic, climate related issues (fires, primarily), smog and congestion along with earthquake potential and fairly intolerable people, I'm not sure I'd want to be in a Malibu beach house. I'd rather have a beautiful vista in Paradise Valley around Camelback Mountain with vacation homes spread out along the Oregon coast, Colorado and few select countries outside of the US.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:39 am
Indy wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

I don’t think I’d put Phoenix in that category. Of course almost anyone would choose Malibu over Phoenix, but a lot of people like living in Phoenix. It’s clearly a couple tiers above OKC and Indiana at least.
I would agree the Phoenix metro area is considered a more desired place to live than OCK or Indianapolis, but it isn't close to Malibu. There are probably only 4 great NBA cities, and 2 are in bad climates. I do worry about the fires around LA and the hurricanes around Miami (and that it is in Florida), but either is better for year-round living than Toronto & NYC.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:59 am
Indy wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

With the traffic, climate related issues (fires, primarily), smog and congestion along with earthquake potential and fairly intolerable people, I'm not sure I'd want to be in a Malibu beach house. I'd rather have a beautiful vista in Paradise Valley around Camelback Mountain with vacation homes spread out along the Oregon coast, Colorado and few select countries outside of the US.
I like your thinking. I'm still trying to figure out where I want to live when I retire. I'm pretty sure at least half the year I'll be in Arizona with Suns season tickets.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

BookTheGoat wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:54 am
Mori Chu wrote:

Old man yells at clouds.
I'm a middle-aged man. Now get off my lawn!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:40 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Indy wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

I like your thinking. I'm still trying to figure out where I want to live when I retire. I'm pretty sure at least half the year I'll be in Arizona with Suns season tickets.
My plan is costa rica. It is beautiful, safe, progressive, and inexpensive. I think I will keep a condo in the states somewhere, but not sure where yet.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:27 pm
Superbone wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:40 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Indy wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

My plan is costa rica. It is beautiful, safe, progressive, and inexpensive. I think I will keep a condo in the states somewhere, but not sure where yet.
Hmm. Thanks. I'll have to look into that.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

When the worlds starts up again, and countries start allowing Americans to travel, go there for a vacation. It is a couple different worlds. The rain forest area reminded me a lot of Hawaii, and the west coast beach areas reminded me of southern california.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:53 am
When the worlds starts up again, and countries start allowing Americans to travel, go there for a vacation. It is a couple different worlds. The rain forest area reminded me a lot of Hawaii, and the west coast beach areas reminded me of southern california.
Will do! Sounds great.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LeBron combining with Davis should diminish his legacy rather than increase it. The greats from the past didn't create super teams.
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:31 pm
LeBron combining with Davis should diminish his legacy rather than increase it. The greats from the past didn't create super teams.
So does Pippen’s MVP candidacy during MJ’s baseball hiatus diminish MJ’s legacy?

The Bulls replaced MJ with Pete Myers and still contended for a title. I dare say the current Lakers without LeBron wouldn’t be as good.