NBA Playoffs 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: NBA Playoffs 2020

Post by O_Gardino »

I was going to make a crack about this being a continuation of his poor play to to close the finals last year, but then I looked back at his career stats. He goes 0-x a lot, and his overall percentages this year aren't significantly different from any of the last few years. In fact, he's been to the playoffs every season for 10 years now with 3 great shooting years and 7 that are basically the same as this season.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:54 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:38 pm
Well I’ll ask again, who did Jordan face that was as good as the Curry Warriors?
I'll ask back, how are you the Greatest of All Time if your opponents are considered way better than your team? If Lebron couldn't field a team that was better than those Warriors and whoop them, how is he in discussion for the GOAT? If he were truly the greatest ever, Lebron plus an all-star PG and PF and a strong supporting cast, as they had, would defeat even a mighty opponent such as the Warriors. IF he were the GOAT, that is. Which he is not.
So he would have a better case for GOAT, if he went to the Warriors instead of beating them? Then he would have been on a better team.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:22 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Split T wrote:
Well I’ll ask again, who did Jordan face that was as good as the Curry Warriors?
I'll ask back, how are you the Greatest of All Time if your opponents are considered way better than your team? If Lebron couldn't field a team that was better than those Warriors and whoop them, how is he in discussion for the GOAT? If he were truly the greatest ever, Lebron plus an all-star PG and PF and a strong supporting cast, as they had, would defeat even a mighty opponent such as the Warriors. IF he were the GOAT, that is. Which he is not.
So he would have a better case for GOAT, if he went to the Warriors instead of beating them? Then he would have been on a better team.
Curry Warriors would have been just as good if not beat by 90s Suns, Sonics, and Blazers.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:43 am
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Split T wrote:
Curry Warriors would have been just as good if not beat by 90s Suns, Sonics, and Blazers.
Depends on the rules and how they are enforced, don't you think? For instance, imagine how good KJ would have been with modern hand-checking rules.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Yesterday's nba didn't shoot as many 3s either. The game has evolved so it's hard to compare the two eras.

Split T

Post by Split T »

virtual9mm wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:57 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Split T wrote:
Depends on the rules and how they are enforced, don't you think? For instance, imagine how good KJ would have been with modern hand-checking rules.
Perhaps he would have, but not if he didn’t learn to shoot. He might have just been Rondo 2.0

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:11 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
In2ition wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

Perhaps he would have, but not if he didn’t learn to shoot. He might have just been Rondo 2.0
Over his last four season, he shot 115-286 (.402) from three.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:00 am
Split T wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
In2ition wrote:

This. He also shot .458 on long 2s. He was automatic from a step or two inside the 3pt line and had an absolutely nasty pull up.

On the other hand, he wasn't the passer, defender, or rebounder that Rondo is. I hate to say it, but he just didn't have the BBall IQ. Rondo is smart and feisty. KJ was quick and coordinated, but more of a drive and kick guy than a true distributor.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:
In2ition wrote:

That was SO far off base that I didn't even bother.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:52 am
Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:
Drewsprocket wrote:

My apologies for suggesting someone that shot 21%, 9%, 19%, 21%, 22%, 12%, 22%, and 15% from 3 over their first 8 seasons might have needed to learn to shoot. I was WAY off base.. :roll:

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:30 pm
<several posts by several posters>

My apologies for suggesting someone that shot 21%, 9%, 19%, 21%, 22%, 12%, 22%, and 15% from 3 over their first 8 seasons might have needed to learn to shoot. I was WAY off base.. :roll:
I agree with your overall point, but of course I take exception to the comparison. :lol:

KJ had great form on a very smooth jumper. He knew how to shoot. But he didn't work much on his long range shooting because his 2pt game was so good he didn't have to work. I believe he could have been deadly from 3 if he had bothered to learn the skill. Even so, his %'s are so extremely low because he only took the 3 when he was forced to at the end of the shot clock. He would have been a consistent 28-32% shooter if that had been a regular part of his offense.

Turns out he wasn't really a gym rat, and I wonder how much that would hurt him in today's game. He would struggle to build that early career coming into the league with the lack of range he had when he was young. Some team would have had to believe that he would develop that J.

But the Rondo comparison... ouch. KJ's worst 2pt shooting years were very close to Rondo's averages, and that's not even taking volume into account. KJ could score from anywhere inside 22 feet, and he did so efficiently at a high volume. If you want a modern comparison, D'Aaron Fox is closer, although I think KJ was a better half court player.

This is later in his career, but check out how many of his points come on jumpers. He was a very natural shooter, especially off the dribble.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Rondo and KJ aren't similar at all really. Tony Parker and KJ were nearly the same players. Rubio is more Rondo in terms of overall game and offense. KJ could flat out score. Maybe not shoot, but score. Same as TP.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:31 pm
Split T wrote:

I agree with your overall point, but of course I take exception to the comparison. :lol:

KJ had great form on a very smooth jumper. He knew how to shoot. But he didn't work much on his long range shooting because his 2pt game was so good he didn't have to work. I believe he could have been deadly from 3 if he had bothered to learn the skill. Even so, his %'s are so extremely low because he only took the 3 when he was forced to at the end of the shot clock. He would have been a consistent 28-32% shooter if that had been a regular part of his offense.

Turns out he wasn't really a gym rat, and I wonder how much that would hurt him in today's game. He would struggle to build that early career coming into the league with the lack of range he had when he was young. Some team would have had to believe that he would develop that J.

But the Rondo comparison... ouch. KJ's worst 2pt shooting years were very close to Rondo's averages, and that's not even taking volume into account. KJ could score from anywhere inside 22 feet, and he did so efficiently at a high volume. If you want a modern comparison, D'Aaron Fox is closer, although I think KJ was a better half court player.

This is later in his career, but check out how many of his points come on jumpers. He was a very natural shooter, especially off the dribble.

That’s fair, for the record I wasn’t saying he would be rondo...and I really only meant the comparison from a shooting standpoint. I was just saying he’d have to shoot the 3 to be successful today. I do know he almost never shot it, that’s the biggest issue. I think he very well could have been fine as a shooter. He really only took 3’s at the end of his career when, as Cap pointed out, he shot fairly well.

I’d agree Parker or Fox are probably better overall comparisons than Rondo.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Split T wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:27 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:31 pm
Split T wrote:

That’s fair, for the record I wasn’t saying he would be rondo...and I really only meant the comparison from a shooting standpoint. I was just saying he’d have to shoot the 3 to be successful today. I do know he almost never shot it, that’s the biggest issue. I think he very well could have been fine as a shooter. He really only took 3’s at the end of his career when, as Cap pointed out, he shot fairly well.

I’d agree Parker or Fox are probably better overall comparisons than Rondo.
KJ had a solid af pull up game in addition to his lightning quick drives to the hoop. But Fox is probably as close as it comes to anyone right now- although I don’t think its very accurate. Perhaps, a Chris Paul without three point shot and not being a giant crybaby.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:

Sorry, Split. I didn't mean to insult you. But comparing KJ's shooting to Rondo was disrespecting one of the all-time great Suns. I watched his whole career from start to finish. I do think you were off base. The three point line was relatively new when KJ's career started. He got quite proficient at it near the end of his career. His two point shooting was always above average.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:05 pm
Split T wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:
Split T wrote:

Sorry, Split. I didn't mean to insult you. But comparing KJ's shooting to Rondo was disrespecting one of the all-time great Suns. I watched his whole career from start to finish. I do think you were off base. The three point line was relatively new when KJ's career started. He got quite proficient at it near the end of his career. His two point shooting was always above average.
That’s fair, and I could have done a better job of explaining what I meant. And you’re good, I was kinda in a bad mood yesterday because of some other annoying people in my life, haha.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:31 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:05 pm
Split T wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:

That’s fair, and I could have done a better job of explaining what I meant. And you’re good, I was kinda in a bad mood yesterday because of some other annoying people in my life, haha.
Dude! Aren’t we all. I could have done a better job too. I’m just glad I have you guys to talk Suns and basketball with amid all the craziness in our lives right now.
"Be Legendary."

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Glad to see how folks are remember that KJ would have been a Hall of Famer had he not broken down and also been a pedophile. At his peak, you could put four scrubs with good shooting form around him and had a 50 win team.

He was certainly better than Parker and a lot quicker than CP3. Fox is the best comparison but he has years to go and needs to bring the Kings to the playoffs single handedly for years before I put him at KJ's level.

Turns out the guy was a jerk and a hypocrite. But it doesn't change how good he was on the court. Remember how the Suns used him to defend Jordan? Or how he almost single handedly took on Hakeem after Barkley got too hung over to play? Or the many times he put the team on his shoulders. Just imagine how good he would have been if he weren't roughed up on every drive.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

virtual9mm wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:00 pm
Glad to see how folks are remember that KJ would have been a Hall of Famer had he not broken down and also been a pedophile. At his peak, you could put four scrubs with good shooting form around him and had a 50 win team.

He was certainly better than Parker and a lot quicker than CP3. Fox is the best comparison but he has years to go and needs to bring the Kings to the playoffs single handedly for years before I put him at KJ's level.

Turns out the guy was a jerk and a hypocrite. But it doesn't change how good he was on the court. Remember how the Suns used him to defend Jordan? Or how he almost single handedly took on Hakeem after Barkley got too hung over to play? Or the many times he put the team on his shoulders. Just imagine how good he would have been if he weren't roughed up on every drive.
Yep, separation of church and state or separation of on court and off court in this case.
"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:00 pm
virtual9mm wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:00 pm

Yep, separation of church and state or separation of on court and off court in this case.
Wow I didn’t know all that till now. He was my childhood hero. RIP KJ. That sucks. No excuse, she was 16. I hate how men take advantage of the goodwill they generate and exploit vulnerable people for their pleasure. He was a great player and seemingly did good for Sacramento. WTF.