NBA Playoffs 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: NBA Playoffs 2020

Post by O_Gardino »

I'm really looking forward to Adebayo vs AD.

I don't think the Heat have a better chance than the Nuggets did. James and Davis are 2 of the top 3 players in the NBA. The Heat are smart, but the Lakers are physically superior at every position.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:00 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:34 pm
Heat vs Lakers for the finals. I know the Lakers are favored, but I think the Heat are going to win. Easily the best defensive team they’ve faced. If Heat are hitting 3’s, they’ll take it.
I completely agree. I want to put a little coin on it but I don't have the chance.
If that happens, and the play is anything like it was against Boston, I wonder who the MVP will be. It could realistically be Tyler. That would be nuts.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:58 am

I don't think the Heat have a better chance than the Nuggets did. James and Davis are 2 of the top 3 players in the NBA. The Heat are smart, but the Lakers are physically superior at every position.
Yeah, as much as I would like to see it, I just can't. I would put money on Lakers in 5, but more on Lakers in 6.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:52 pm
Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:54 pm
It'll be nice to see one of these two franchises finally get a championship!
Right?! You gotta really feel for these two teams.
Honestly, it's hilarious hearing from Laker fans talking about all the suffering they've been through, and really kind of pisses me off.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:

This doesn't seem quite right when you have a team with Butler and Bam, but perhaps you are correct.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:

At every position? What makes Rondo, KCP, and Danny Green physically superior?

I think the Lakers have struggled to score at times, and that’s coming against bad defensive teams in Portland and Denver. The Lakers defend the paint really well, but they can be beat on the perimeter. Also the heat have like 5 guys that can go off and lead the team in scoring. You can’t focus on anyone, you’ve gotta be prepared for everyone.

I look at Heat vs Nuggets and think Heat would pretty easily take that. The heat beat two teams already that were better than the nuggets. While the Lakers handled the Nuggets in 5, outside of game 1, every game was close and the Lakers were lucky to win a couple of them.

I just think this Heat team is clearly the best team the Lakers have faced this postseason and nothing about their performance against Houston/Denver makes me think they are an unbeatable juggernaut. They are definitely beatable.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

The best thing the Heat have going for them is the lack of home court advantage. In a normal year with 4 games in LA, the Heat would be toast. LA's role players would be amped up to play at home. But in a neutral bubble court, anything can happen.

I have been underestimating the Lakers for the whole playoffs, but I have to admit that they've been the best team of the postseason. I really would love to see the Heat upset them, but if Lebron and AD play the way they've been playing, it would be hard to beat them. The best hope the Heat have is that maybe AD's ankle injury will turn out to be worse than expected.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:00 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:34 pm
Heat vs Lakers for the finals. I know the Lakers are favored, but I think the Heat are going to win. Easily the best defensive team they’ve faced. If Heat are hitting 3’s, they’ll take it.
I completely agree. I want to put a little coin on it but I don't have the chance.
A little coin? Like a dime? I’ll take that bet.

I wonder how much it will cost me to send your dime to South Korea.

BookTheGoat

Post by BookTheGoat »

In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:07 am
O_Gardino wrote:

This doesn't seem quite right when you have a team with Butler and Bam, but perhaps you are correct.
Well, when Butler and Bam are matching up with LeBron and AD....

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:09 am
O_Gardino wrote:

I think the Lakers have struggled to score at times, and that’s coming against bad defensive teams in Portland and Denver. The Lakers defend the paint really well, but they can be beat on the perimeter. Also the heat have like 5 guys that can go off and lead the team in scoring. You can’t focus on anyone, you’ve gotta be prepared for everyone.

I look at Heat vs Nuggets and think Heat would pretty easily take that. The heat beat two teams already that were better than the nuggets. While the Lakers handled the Nuggets in 5, outside of game 1, every game was close and the Lakers were lucky to win a couple of them.

I just think this Heat team is clearly the best team the Lakers have faced this postseason and nothing about their performance against Houston/Denver makes me think they are an unbeatable juggernaut. They are definitely beatable.
You don't think Rondo and Green are more athletic than Dragic and Robinson? Butler and Adebayo are great, but they are matching up against James and AD. Crowder isn't bad.

I like the Heat, but I just can't see them being clearly better than the Nuggets and Clippers.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

BookTheGoat wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:43 am
In2ition wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:07 am
O_Gardino wrote:

Well, when Butler and Bam are matching up with LeBron and AD....
That's really it. The Heat's 2 best players are matching up against guys who are better.

I'll be thrilled if the Heat win. I just ave to admit that LA has the advantage.

Split T

Post by Split T »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:59 am
Split T wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

You don't think Rondo and Green are more athletic than Dragic and Robinson? Butler and Adebayo are great, but they are matching up against James and AD. Crowder isn't bad.
No I don’t think they are, not to a point where it would matter. I think the Heat have the bodies/athletes/defenders to slow down one of the Lakers big 2. If they do that, someone else on the Lakers will have to step up. Do you trust Rondo/KCP/Green/Kuzma to step up and be a big contributor? Rondo has been solid, but outside of that, I’d be worried putting my success in those guys hands.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think my enthusiasm for Miami possibly winning this is heavily clouded by my hatred for the Lakers.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:54 am
I think my enthusiasm for Miami possibly winning this is heavily clouded by my hatred for the Lakers.
Same here.

Can you believe all the stories out there about how much the Laker fans have suffered over the yrs and they are FINALLY seeing the struggles end? That has to be the least self-aware fanbase to ever exist.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Same.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:08 am
Indy wrote:
Same here.

Can you believe all the stories out there about how much the Laker fans have suffered over the yrs and they are FINALLY seeing the struggles end? That has to be the least self-aware fanbase to ever exist.
I have not seen that nor do I want to. I haven't had breakfast yet.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:13 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:08 am
Indy wrote:
Same here.

I have not seen that nor do I want to. I haven't had breakfast yet.
LOL

BookTheGoat

Post by BookTheGoat »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:14 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:59 am
Split T wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

No I don’t think they are, not to a point where it would matter. I think the Heat have the bodies/athletes/defenders to slow down one of the Lakers big 2. If they do that, someone else on the Lakers will have to step up. Do you trust Rondo/KCP/Green/Kuzma to step up and be a big contributor? Rondo has been solid, but outside of that, I’d be worried putting my success in those guys hands.
The Lakers have an elite defense too. They’re going to take things away from Miami. I feel like people want Miami to win so they ignore LA’s strengths and Miami’s weaknesses.

Split T

Post by Split T »

You’re right, they do. I honestly don’t care that much who wins, I’d rather Miami wins because I’m not ever going to root for the Lakers, but I’m not that invested either way. I just think Miami has played incredibly as a team in the bubble. I think they’re the best team LA has faced and I think LA will need someone other than Lebron or AD to step up in this series to win.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I've cooled on Butler a lot the last couple of years and I don't think he's a "superstar" per se in terms of production or marketability. He's obviously an extremely good player and he and the Heat are the perfect match. But the Heat operate as a team, well coached and have their system. The Lakers have their stars. That's not to diminish them, it's just a contrast in styles and reminds me of the Lakers-Pistons Finals back in 2004. The "stars" vs the "team".