NBA Playoffs 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: NBA Playoffs 2020

Post by Split T »

I wouldn’t even offer the first. I don’t think OKC will get much value out of CP3, not when he’s owed 40+ million each of the next two years. Bledsoe isn’t anything special, but he’s good and on an ok contract. OKC could move him or let him run the team a couple years while they continue to build. I imagine most contenders would love to have Hill as a 3rd/4th guard. Probably not going to get a 1st for him, but maybe 2 2nds. Ilyasova is non guaranteed and saves 7 million instantly.

So they save a ton of money and acquire 2 very movable guards. Don’t think they’re getting better offers than that for a 36 year old pg making 40+ million

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:55 pm
Good for him. I think he can be part of a championship team in Milwaukee. And it'll be good for him to continue to fight to get better. Glad he doesn't just want to bail and chase a ring like so many of today's players.
Over the last 40 years, 2 small market teams have won a ring.

We all know how the Spurs are run.

The other one was Cleveland, after getting 3 #1 picks in 4 years and then having the GOAT return.

I am not saying it is impossible, but Milwaukee hasn't shown anything to make me believe they will be able to super max Giannis AND build a team around him which will certainly put them in tax territory.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:55 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Good for him. I think he can be part of a championship team in Milwaukee. And it'll be good for him to continue to fight to get better. Glad he doesn't just want to bail and chase a ring like so many of today's players.
Over the last 40 years, 2 small market teams have won a ring.

We all know how the Spurs are run.

The other one was Cleveland, after getting 3 #1 picks in 4 years and then having the GOAT return.

I am not saying it is impossible, but Milwaukee hasn't shown anything to make me believe they will be able to super max Giannis AND build a team around him which will certainly put them in tax territory.
I wonder where they’d be if they didn’t give Bledsoe the extension they did last year and just signed Brogdon instead.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I’d be happy to send Kelly to Mil for Hill, RoLo and a lightly protected first round pick.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I would definitely not do that

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:40 pm
I’d be happy to send Kelly to Mil for Hill, RoLo and a lightly protected first round pick.
Pass
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
You would probably be happy to send Kelly out for a pack of Rolos.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

George Hill is not quite 100% washed but he’s approaching that status. That’s trading a dollar for a quarter, dime and nickel.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

We needed George Hill 4-5 years ago, not now and not for Oubre.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:47 pm
specialsauce wrote:

In fairness to Sauce, those are really damn good.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Marcus Smart would look so good next to Booker.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Heck of a finish to that Raptors/Celtics game. Raptors force game 7 with a Double OT win

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Cap wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:23 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:47 pm
specialsauce wrote:

In fairness to Sauce, those are really damn good.
Thank you!!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:02 pm
Marcus Smart would look so good next to Booker.
I couldn't help but think the same thing all game. He was basically playing like the best version of Draymond but for the back court.

Indy

Post by Indy »

As much as I loved seeing a double OT game to push the series to 7 games... these refs have been awful. Every single game they are a huge part of the story. They should be nearly invisible. It really sucks. (I know the concussion protocols and the rule changes to encourage free movement and open shots is a big part of it, but still.)

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:55 am
As much as I loved seeing a double OT game to push the series to 7 games... these refs have been awful. Every single game they are a huge part of the story. They should be nearly invisible. It really sucks. (I know the concussion protocols and the rule changes to encourage free movement and open shots is a big part of it, but still.)
It would be so easy to train a machine learning algorithm to do this job.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I hope the league spends some time thinking about what to do about the huge increase in offensive foul-baiting that has taken over the league. The two biggest offenders are the "take a jumper and then fall down" and the "take a ridiculous shot through the defender's outstretched arm." While these are technically fouls in many cases, it's causing refs to call a ton of ticky-tack fouls on jump shots, especially 3-pointers, that I think are bad for the game.

I think they should amend the rules to say that if the ref deems that the offensive player initiates contact in search of a foul, or exaggerates a fall in search of a call, it's either no-call or a technical. And then start actually enforcing it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:26 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:48 pm
Celtics are whooping the Raptors here in Game 5, currently up 95-73 midway through the 4th quarter. I think they're the better team. Wow, if the Eastern Finals ends up being Boston/Miami, are the Celtics bound for the NBA Finals? Hard to believe.
Don't count out the defending champs yet. They're too proud to go out in 6. It's going to a game 7.
Never underestimate the heart of a champion!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Yep, just like we're happy Booker wants to stay here. We shouldn't be actively rooting for a player to leave his team unless he's coming here. ;)
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:48 pm
Celtics are whooping the Raptors here in Game 5, currently up 95-73 midway through the 4th quarter. I think they're the better team. Wow, if the Eastern Finals ends up being Boston/Miami, are the Celtics bound for the NBA Finals? Hard to believe.
Pre-season odds had them as the 3rd best team in the east behind the Bucks and 76ers. Obviously that didn't assume both Simmons and Embiid would miss significant time this season. If they end up in the Finals, I don't think it will be that big of a surprise. If it ends up being Miami or Toronto, some people will have made a killing. They were a +6000 and +5500, respectively.