NBA Playoffs 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: NBA Playoffs 2020

Post by Indy »

So the West looks to be getting the finals match up we expected--Lakers/Clippers.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Game 7 Celtics vs Raptors tonight

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:36 am
I doubt I get it, but I would love to see a Toronto/Clippers finals. I can't imagine a way that Toronto wins without being lights out all series from deep, but how great would it be to see a Lowry as Finals MVP after Kawhi left for LA?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:25 am
Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:36 am
I doubt I get it, but I would love to see a Toronto/Clippers finals. I can't imagine a way that Toronto wins without being lights out all series from deep, but how great would it be to see a Lowry as Finals MVP after Kawhi left for LA?
I hadn't thought about that but I like it.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

What’s actually quite interesting is I still have no clue who’s going to win. I’ve ruled out Denver and Houston, but any of the other 5 could still win the title IMO. I think I’m slightly leaning towards the Lakers winning, but I’m not confident by any means in that pick.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:26 am
What’s actually quite interesting is I still have no clue who’s going to win. I’ve ruled out Denver and Houston, but any of the other 5 could still win the title IMO. I think I’m slightly leaning towards the Lakers winning, but I’m not confident by any means in that pick.
The Lakers supporting cast has been better lately, which is really helping them. They need some shooting from guys like Danny Green and Caruso. Rondo also gave them 8 assists and 10 rebounds the other night. If they can beat a good team with Lebron scoring only 16 like they did yesterday, they are scary. I have always felt that they'd fail due to their weak roster outside of the top 2 players, but they've been proving me wrong so far. I think the Clippers will beat them, but we'll see.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think the champ will be whoever comes out of the West.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Since the NBA title winner has had LeBron, Kawhi or been the Warriors every year since 2011, I think that's a safe bet.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Looks like Boston is going to win this. Also, what happened to Siakam? He’s been awful all playoffs and is costing Toronto a chance at a comeback right now. On offense and defense. Not sure why Toronto keeps going to him offensively.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Siakam is a really good player, but he clearly isn't ready to lead a contending team. I still think he can go up a level, so I wouldn't write him off yet.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:06 pm
I think the champ will be whoever comes out of the West.
Way to go out on a limb! You’ve got a 50/50 chance. ;)

BTW, I agree with you.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:47 am
Siakam is a really good player, but he clearly isn't ready to lead a contending team. I still think he can go up a level, so I wouldn't write him off yet.
I get that, but he hasn’t even been a good player in the playoffs. Lowry and VanVleet were leading the team. Siakam just needed to be a supporting player and he was bad.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Houston getting killed on the boards again and tonight the Lakers are outshooting them from 3, so predictably they've got a huge lead after 3 quarters (95-69).
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:44 am
If we move Oubre, we might look back and say "we should've kept him". He's not indispensable, but I think he's a guy whose loss we'd feel in more ways than one, especially if we don't hit on how he's replaced.

Majerle is on the list. We also sent Frye packing because we thought we had his replacements/upgrade in the Morris Bros.
I think there is some revisionist history there. Majerle was instrumental in our back-to-back failures against the Rockets. And wasn't even an NBA player with Cleveland. It took Pat Riley rebuilding him into a defensive/instangibles role player, and even then, he never really recovered his 3-point stroke. Retaining Majerle wouldn't change the course of that Suns team.

Hot Rod was bad, but that doesn't make Majerle good.

I'll agree to disagree with Frye. I don't think letting him go was the problem; the problem was the investment/elevation of the Morris Twins.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

LazarusLong wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:56 pm
Shawn Marion (Shaq was in the twilight of his career, and disrupted the Suns offensive scheme).
I'll always be ok with moving on from Marion; it just shouldn't have been for Shaq.
Superbone wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:01 am
The Shaq years were kind of fun (I guess we only had him for a year and a half)
I'm glad someone enjoyed them.
Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:30 am
I loved Barkley, but by the time he pouted his way off the team, he was already in decline. He was settling for bad 3-pointers and hitting under 30% of them. He kept getting nagging injuries, and he showed up out of shape. As much of an all-timer as he was, I wasn't actually that sad to see him go. Arguably we didn't get the best package back for him (puu-puu platter from the Rockets including, I think, Sam Cassell, Robert Horry, Mark Bryant, and Chucky Brown). Should've asked for a pick.
I hate that trade package too, but I can't knock it too much; it worked out great. The front office recognized what a bad roster we had and took swift and decisive action: we ended up with a great run to the players, and a terrific series versus the Sonics. The things the Kidd-KJ-Chapman lineup did on the court were joy to watch. I loved that team.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:17 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:47 am
I get that, but he hasn’t even been a good player in the playoffs. Lowry and VanVleet were leading the team. Siakam just needed to be a supporting player and he was bad.
Yeah, it's incredible how bad he was.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Denver forced a game 7

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:47 pm
Denver forced a game 7
Good for them!
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Man, it'd really be something to see Denver knock off the Clippers. I would love to see it. A rebuke of the super-rent-a-team that everybody anointed before the season. Then the Nugs would have to go on to upset the Lakers and go to the Finals. I would be over the moon. A Nuggets/Celtics Finals would actually be really fun to watch, though obviously the suits in the NBA don't want that matchup.