Steve Nash to coach Nets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Steve Nash to coach Nets

Post by Indy »

WTF

Split T

Re: Steve Nash to coach Nets

Post by Split T »

Well that came outta nowhere. He had been working with the Warriors, maybe KD liked him a lot.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wouldn’t be surprised if Alvin Gentry comes along as his lead assistant.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Vaughn is staying on as assistant.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:31 am
Vaughn is staying on as assistant.
Interesting, thought he’d be a target for HC. His interim run was impressive.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

You always wonder if the star players are going to have the patience to be successful - I think he will have that.

he should have credibility with the players. The temperament to deal with the bullshit? I'm not sure.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

carey

Post by carey »

I don't know how I feel about this.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

You can bet KD and Kyrie were consulted on this. Marks played with Nash in Phoenix, Nash was with the Ws while KD was there. And who knows how Kyrie really feels/felt about Lue. I think having a former player as good as Nash was, who's laid back but competitive, recently retired and knows the game and what it takes night in and night out as a player should be a good fit with the the superstars and role players alike. He'll need some good assistants but I think he'll do fine.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think Nash will be a really good coach. I do wonder if the Nets are the right fit for him. I could see him with a roster like that of, say, Memphis, with a young team and an energetic point guard for him to mentor. The Nets are led by three aging veteran prima donnas and I question whether they'll listen to him. But Durant did already work with Nash a lot in Golden State, so that probably helps a lot.

Anyway, great for Stevie, and great for the Nets! I hope he's super successful there. Will be very interesting to watch and see how it goes. Of course they'll probably jump by +35 wins because they got their stars back...

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Yea it is interesting to say the least

Not sure how many of u follow European football but this is the trend right now
I'm sure this will get scrutiny tho
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

I think Nets gonna have the same problems Warriors had in 2018-2019. It’s gonna come down to KD and Kyrie having to be good teammates. Just having Nash isn’t going to solve that for him and Kyrie. I wish Nash all the success in the world and will root for him from afar.
Last edited by Drewsprocket on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Day 1: Nash bans all carbohydrates from Nets' facility
Day 10: Nash institutes mandatory 2-hour yoga session for all players and staff
Day 21: Nash adds mandatory 1-hour hackey-sack tournament after every practice
Day 22: Mandatory 1-hour hackey-sack tournament canceled
Day 34: Nash increases mandatory 3-point shooting drill to 4,000 attempts per player
Day 45: Nash calls team meeting and supplies glitter, paper, scissors, glue, and other crafting supplies to address "chemistry issues"
Day 46: Nash placed on "administrative leave" by Nets organization
Day 49: Nash resigns to spend "more time with family"

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think Nash has one of the most impressive temperaments I've seen out of a star athlete. Unlike someone like Jason Kidd, he's all about the "we" and not about the "me." Also, he's a really sharp guy. He's got all the tools to be a very successful coach, but that is a gig that comes with serious expectations right out of the gate.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:14 am
I think Nash has one of the most impressive temperaments I've seen out of a star athlete. Unlike someone like Jason Kidd, he's all about the "we" and not about the "me." Also, he's a really sharp guy. He's got all the tools to be a very successful coach, but that is a gig that comes with serious expectations right out of the gate.
Yeah, I think he has a lot similarities with Kerr who has had great success managing personalities thus far.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I would be surprised to see him fail, especially if he has the trust of Marks. They have known each other for 20 years, so I have hard time seeing them not mesh well. I think the key will be about Nash's family. Will his kids still be in LA? That would make it really hard to coach in NY.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Nash didn't relied on God's given talents to succeed at the NBA level. He made a plan and followed over and over to climb the ladder. I'm pretty sure this time around he also has a solid plan to follow, as well as the initial support of the key figures on the organization (KD, Marks, among others). He can learn the ropes in Brooklyn and then come home to lead us after Monty´s time is over.
Last edited by Aztec Sunsfan on Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I think he's a lot like Kerr. And as we know, you're only as good as the players you run out there. He'll have a pretty decent roster, so I think he should be okay.

What really tells you the most about these coaches is what happen when things start to turn to shit like they did in Golden State for Kerr this year. That's when you find out how well they can coach.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

ShadowHawke

Post by ShadowHawke »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:36 pm
I would be surprised to see him fail, especially if he has the trust of Marks. They have known each other for 20 years, so I have hard time seeing them not mesh well. I think the key will be about Nash's family. Will his kids still be in LA? That would make it really hard to coach in NY.
I think he likes NY. I bet he has two homes and will keep the family near by.
"Be Legendary."