Steve Nash to coach Nets

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
The Bobster

Re: Steve Nash to coach Nets

Post by The Bobster »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:28 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:54 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:12 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:33 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:23 pm

So, are you saying Kerr is the worst coach in the Western Conference?
If we're calling him the greatest coach when they win the championship, I guess we are.
Who called him the greatest coach?
There are those who would point to his all-time record and say he's one of the best ever based on his team's results.

I don't happen to agree, I think he's pretty good, and their bottoming out this year doesn't indicate his true ability.

He's somewhere in between. Like most of the coaches with all-time great won-lost records it has a lot to do with personnel. I think we would all agree on that. Sustaining that level and getting the most out of a less talented roster are the real indications of coaching ability.
Bob,

You know, I admittedly haven't kept up with D'Antoni since he's been coaching the Rockets; I assume he's improved since he was with us,

But, I'll always wonder if we had had a better/more well-rounded coach than him if we wouldn't have at least made it to the Finals. I'm not trying to be disparaging, but his system, to me, was pretty much solely embodied by one Steve Nash. The Nash/D'Antoni Era will always be bittersweet to me for two reasons: we never made the Finals, and the team unceremoniously fell apart every single time Nash left the floor. That, in particular, drove me bonkers back in the day.

Maybe I'm being unfair/revisionist, but 2010 with Gentry, although we were eliminated in the conference finals, was somehow more satisfactory to me (and I don't think it's just cuz we swept the Spurs, though I'm sure that figured in) than all of the D'Antoni years put together.

Your thoughts?
Their two best players were great offensive players, but bad defensively, so I don't know if a different style would have gotten more out of that team.

Now, to see the whole league go in that direction with the "shoot and fall down" mentality added to it? No, I don;t want to see that. But for that collection of personnel, yes, that was probably the way to go in hindsight.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

D'Antoni's system was "play faster, "run more". He seemed to really lack the ability to make the necessary adjustments when we were losing the same way each playoffs. I think by the end, even the players were looking for more in terms of Xs and Os. I think the FO (what FO?) also did him a disservice changing the team year in and year out and not going out and getting the type of backup PG he needed.

D'Antoni did himself no favors not wanting to play more defensive players or spend time in practice on defense, but now in Houston Morey's at least gone all in with him and his system rather than keeping a guy like Capela on the roster who MikeD doesn't really want to use.

The truth is tho, Shawn, Grant Hill and Amar'e weren't 3pt shooters so spacing was always going to be limited. Would we have been better off committing to Tim Thomas as our fulltime 5 if he could shoot and rebound like we wanted him to? Would Nash be shooting 20+ times and taking 6-8-10 threes a game if he were playing today?

I think Gentry had the best, most well-rounded roster, but he just blew it not having Lopez on the floor when Artest got that offensive rebound and putback.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I'll always root for Steve. I hope he does well. My only concern is wether he wants to commit the time and attention that head coaching needs. He has always had his hands in several creative pursuits, and he'll have to cut most of those out to be successful. He'll do it, but will he want to stick with it? Will he decide it's not for him and resign in 2 years?

That's always my concern with players who go straight to head coaching without working as assistants. If they wanted to live that life, why aren't they already assistants? Sometimes it works out, though.

I agree with Barkley, but I would also like to remind him that media personalities are not role models. :D

I don't think there is racial bias in the hiring of NBA coaches on most teams. I think there is a substantially larger pool of white candidates working in the NCAA and other minor leagues. That's something I'd like to see improve in US culture at large. Black people seem to be well represented in the publicly visible positions (actors, politicians, athletes, etc) and in blue collar jobs, and almost nonexistent in middle and upper-middle class jobs. President? Yeah. Dental hygienist? Yeah. NBA coach? Yeah. I'd like to see better representation in speechwriters, dentists, and high school athletic directors, etc.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'll be really surprised if he makes it through the 4 years on his contract with the Nets.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:39 pm
I'll be really surprised if he makes it through the 4 years on his contract with the Nets.
How many coaches live out their full contract without being fired? 20%? Or maybe it just feels that way to me and most do?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I've seen a few writers give him a 2 year window. Who knows...if Durant and Kyrie aren't healthy and playing 70+ games, is that fair to Nash? If those guys are fully healthy and he has buy-in, you'd think 2nd round of the playoffs at least and even that might be a disappointment. Does Marks shake out the roster with DInwiddie and Levert? Harris is a FA too. Still a lo of question marks on the roster but Nash probably won't have a lot of wiggle room.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Any coach that is handed an MVP candidate and another all-NBA level starter should have high expectations. Being in NY only makes them higher. I wish him luck while he stays in the East.

carey

Post by carey »

It's hard to be a rookie head coach in the NBA. Even Spo didn't win a title his first year with the LeBron Miami team. So in that sense I'm a little shocked that the Nets went with a rookie head coach, not just Nash.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:20 pm
It's hard to be a rookie head coach in the NBA. Even Spo didn't win a title his first year with the LeBron Miami team. So in that sense I'm a little shocked that the Nets went with a rookie head coach, not just Nash.
But with such a short time between now and the draft, who else was out there and available and would have the respect of the players?