WNBA Playoffs and Phoenix Mercury

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

WNBA Playoffs and Phoenix Mercury

Post by Mori Chu »

(I figured this is close enough to the NBA to go here rather than in the General area.)

Have any of you guys been watching the Mercury? They had an amazing single-game elimination playoff match the other night against the Washington Mystics. The Mercury were down by 2 in the final seconds, and then this happened...

Here's what Bleacher Report has to say about the Mercury's playoff hopes:
Phoenix Mercury

One can make a case that there's a sizable gap between the top five and everyone else in the WNBA.

That's a roundabout way of writing that the Mercury are the tough-luck losers of the playoff draw after finishing 13-9, which gives them the same playoff status as the 8-14 Wings in the single-elimination gauntlet.

A Mercury team featuring some of the game's all-time greats in Diana Taurasi and Skylar Diggins-Smith now has zero wiggle room in its quest for the WNBA semifinals.

This team has the skills, resume and experience to get the job done, but without Brittney Griner, who left the bubble for personal reasons, it may be a tall order, especially against teams with talented backcourts like the franchises above them in the standings.

However, their impressive 6-0 stretch in the back half of the WNBA regular season shouldn't be discounted. If they bring that magic to the playoffs, then they'll be very tough to beat.

I'm planning to watch as many of their games as I can, and I'll post here in this thread about each game. Who else will watch?

Split T

Re: WNBA Playoffs and Phoenix Mercury

Post by Split T »

I saw the highlights of the shot. Incredible moment, would be on the highlights package for years if it was an nba game. I may try to check out a game if my schedule lines up, I haven’t really ever watched one before.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea been watching some Mercury highlights and getting updates and highlights on social. That buzzer beater was kinda Booker-esque!

Indy

Post by Indy »

I haven't watched more than a couple Merc games from start to finish, and the one time I attended in person Turasi wasn't playing. But when I do watch them I am always impressed with how good their fundamentals are.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I haven't watched much WNBA for years, but I have to say that the level of play is clearly higher than it was, say, a decade ago. I remember that back in the old days it felt like the players got a lot of open shots and that the defense didn't challenge shooters enough. That is very different now. There are a lot more blocked or altered shots and just in general the defensive level is way up. Despite that a lot of the gals are dead-eye shooters and can really score. The crowds are also super energetic and you can hear people shouting from the sidelines even in a low-attendance setting like the bubble. I like it a lot; very fun to watch.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Speaking of which, sadly the Mercury lost their game tonight against the Minnesota Lynx by a single point. Since I believe the second round was also single elimination, this means the Mercury are out of the WNBA playoffs. Taurasi had 28 points but it wasn't enough. Here are some highlights:

Box score:

https://www.espn.com/wnba/boxscore?gameId=401244171

Split T

Post by Split T »

I watched the end, Taurasi hit some huge shots. A couple 4 point plays. Skylar Diggins-Smith had a rough game from what I saw. She’s quick, got into the paint, but struggled finishing. Wonder if that was it for Taurasi.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

This thread didn't last long. ;)
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:56 pm
I watched the end, Taurasi hit some huge shots. A couple 4 point plays. Skylar Diggins-Smith had a rough game from what I saw. She’s quick, got into the paint, but struggled finishing. Wonder if that was it for Taurasi.
She is 38 and still playing really well. But the highest paid player in the league makes less than 130k. They aren't doing it for the money.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:01 pm
LOL, yeah, did I jinx them? I didn't know that the second round of the WNBA playoffs would also be single-elimination. Why do they do that? I barely got to watch the Mercury play. I was getting into it, too. Oh well.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:01 pm
LOL, yeah, did I jinx them? I didn't know that the second round of the WNBA playoffs would also be single-elimination. Why do they do that? I barely got to watch the Mercury play. I was getting into it, too. Oh well.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Sorry Marty, but saying it twice doesn't remove your jinx.
"Be Legendary."