Top 4 All-Time Favorite Suns Players

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
England Sun

Re: Top 4 All-Time Favorite Suns Players

Post by England Sun »

From my time watching the Suns-

1) Barkley - The reason I became a Suns fan watching for the first time in 93.
2) Nash. - Such an amazing talent. Should have had at least 2 rings from his era.
3) Amare - Was my pick for that draft. Loved what he brought to the table and loved to watch him play.
4) Michael Finley. - What a player. Gave everything every time his feet touched the hard wood. Loved him.
5) Booker - Beats out some amazing players, but to still be here, doing what he is doing when we have sold him short every season he’s been here is nothing short of fantastic. I so hope we surround him with a team able to compete at the level he does so he can finally shine in the finals.

Honourable mentions: Hill (class act), Kidd, Marion, Chapman, Thunder Dan, Manning, AC Green, KJ (so sad his personal life turns me off), Penny (such a shame his injuries took away from that talent), Marbury.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

LazarusLong wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:35 am
The Bobster wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:44 am
LazarusLong wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:41 pm
Connie Hawkins
Ronnie Lee
Kevin Johnson
Amare Stoudemire
I don't know if I've ever seen an NBA player play with the reckless abandon that Ronnie Lee did. He was a great athlete and literally did leave it out on the floor every night.
I don't think the Suns ever had a better trio of guards than when they had Westphal, Don Buse and Lee. Westphal was one of the smartest players to play for the Suns, Buse was a slick assists man and ballhawk on defense. Lee was akin to an NFL free safety, disruptive and predatory.
KJ, Hornacek and Majerle were right there with them (since all three eventually were named All-Stars I think you'd have to consider them).

Buse had been an All-Star and led the league in assists with Indiana, and he and Lee were great defensively. As for Westphal was just a phenomenal offensive player.

Tough call.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wally_West wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:26 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:40 pm
KJ was awesome, my favorite Sun ever and the reason I became a Suns fan. However, the off court stuff can't be discounted and it's permanently altered my "relationship" with him as a fan.

Also, I think Nash was clearly a top-5 player in the NBA at his peak and I don't think KJ ever hit that mark. Nash's teams leading the NBA in offensive efficiency for 9 straight years is insane. KJ may have thrived in this pace-and-space era, but Nash is its Godfather.
This. So many mixed emotions when it comes to KJ, but my ultimate feeling is that he’s a disgusting human being. I was very ignorant to his off the court stuff but that HBO real sports segment really disturbed me. It won’t surprise me to see his name stripped from the ring of honor one day and if I’m being honest, I welcome it.
This. All of this. Although I went to my first game in 82, I was 7 and didn't really start following the team regularly for a few years. But it was KJ that made me a Suns fan, and probably the only reason I am still today. If that passion didn't set in around 5th/6th/7th grade, it probably never would have.

Fuck that guy for abusing children.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

For me

1) Barkley
2) Nash
3) KJ
4) Devin Booker

Not only is Booker crazy talented, but he's a great teammate and has a great attitude. During that vote on the arena, he tweeted nothing except love for the Suns. He's never had ANYTHING negative to say about the city, the organization, the team etc despite being on horrible teams.

Of course, this could all change.

My Starting Five:

C - Amare
PF - Barkley
SF - Marion
SG - Booker
PG - Nash (sorry KJ)

Surround Nash with four guys who can get it in the basket. Amare cant rebound but Marion and Barkley are two of the best rebounders. No defense outside Marion, but no SUNS starting is going to be strong defensively.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The results of the AZ Republic survey are in and here they are:

1. Steve Nash
2. Charles Barkley
3. Kevin Johnson
4. Amar'e Stoudemire

Plus One
Shawn Marion

The top two made my list. The list is recency biased since the Barkley years but that's understandable. For me, Booker was included not just for what he's done thus far but also for his potential and his love for the organization and its history.
"Be Legendary."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

For the numbers crowd:

Top Suns for career Value Over Replacement Player ...

1. Shawn Marion 38.7
2. Kevin Johnson 36.8
3. Steve Nash 33.1
4. Alvan Adams 33.0
5. Walter Davis 23.0

Win Shares:

1. Shawn Marion 93.2
2. Kevin Johnson 90.9
3. Steve Nash 82.7
4. Alvan Adams 73.5
5. Amar'e Stoudemire 67.9
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nash and Marion top my all-time suns list, and it is a big drop to #3.

Suns_Dave

Post by Suns_Dave »

Sir Charles
Nash
Sweet D
The Hawk

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

1. Majerle - grit & hustle - If you haven't heard his podcast interview on The Outlet, you should give it a listen.
2. Stoudemire - power & attitude
3. Nash - vision & tenacity
4. Marion - athleticism knowhatimsayin? - I heard The Outlet podcast with him from bubbletime and he still said knowwhatimsayin. Cracked me up.

Honorable mention:
5. Nance - I hated when they traded him, but it got us KJ, Majerle and Mark West(the building blocks for the 92-93 team)
6. Barkley - tough to leave off the list, but just wasn't here long enough and left because he didn't think he could win a title here(went to Houston, the team that beat him and won the title 2 years in a row)

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

LazarusLong wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:48 am
For the numbers crowd:

Top Suns for career Value Over Replacement Player ...

1. Shawn Marion 38.7
2. Kevin Johnson 36.8
3. Steve Nash 33.1
4. Alvan Adams 33.0
5. Walter Davis 23.0

Win Shares:

1. Shawn Marion 93.2
2. Kevin Johnson 90.9
3. Steve Nash 82.7
4. Alvan Adams 73.5
5. Amar'e Stoudemire 67.9
Alvan Adams is probably the most under-appreciated player in Suns history. He was such a good all-around player, and one of the few centers you could run the offense through. The guy also gave up a lot of size playing center every night, but still did a credible job defensively.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

DrSublime

Post by DrSublime »

1. Charles Barkley
2. Amare Stoudemire
3. Steve Nash
4. Devin Booker

and the entire 92-93 Finals team as honorable mention
~~~~~