Trade: Chris Paul to Suns for Ricky Rubio and Kelly Oubre Jr.

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Trade: Chris Paul to Suns for Ricky Rubio and Kelly Oubre Jr.

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:58 pm
Ya I thing as long as your being smart and players want to come, you can find ways to make it happen. I think being bad and having tons of cap space is still harder to get new additions.

Miami has been a great example of this I think. Miami has also just done incredibly well drafting in the late lottery and later. New York an example of how not to do it.
:lol:

Split T

Re: Trade: Chris Paul to Suns for Ricky Rubio and Kelly Oubre Jr.

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:57 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:25 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:12 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:01 am
It’s pretty unusual to be top 10 in both offense and defense. That usually means you’re a title contender. Think you either need to be great on both sides of the ball(5th to 9th) or elite on one side(1-4) and at least average on the other(10-15).

I’m hoping we can be around 5th on offense and 9th on defense.
I guess that is what I am saying. If you cash in all your chips and go after CP3 (and his $40M), then sign the type of guys Jones did (solid, nothing above average or close to elite), you better believe you can complete with this group. Because you don't have flexibility to do much else. So if this team isn't a top tier team, you have failed in what you were trying to do.

And of course this is the pre-season Suns fan hype in me, but there is no reason why we can't be a top 10 defensive and offensive team.
I don’t think that’s necessarily true. I think both can happen simultaneously- field a competitive team that allows our young guys to grow into themselves and maintain flexibility for future additions as they enter their prime. I think we did a solid job of that. In three years we will be well positioned to retool and reevaluate Mikal Cam Smith and DA
We don't have 3 years to do that. Both DA and Mikal enter their team option year after this current season. And we have already have more money committed next season than we do this season (even closer to the tax payer limit).
I think we still have room under the tax to add a MLE guy next year. Our top 7 are under contract, plus Carter and Smith. Add 1 rookie and a MLE guy and that gets us to 11. Plus if we bring back any of Moore, Galloway, or Payne.

After that, Paul’s 44 million comes off the books and we have wiggle room. I also wouldn’t rule out the possibility of Paul opting out and signing a new deal if this year goes well. Would he take like a 2 year 60 million dollar deal? So take a 14 million dollar pay cut in 2021-2022 to add 16 million total? That’s probably a little low, maybe 2/65 or 2/70 would get it done. Or would we dare giving him 3/90? That’s probably a little long for a 37 year old.