Trade: Chris Paul to Suns for Ricky Rubio and Kelly Oubre Jr.

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Trade: Chris Paul to Suns for Ricky Rubio and Kelly Oubre Jr.

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I feel better and better having James Jones as our GM by the day. He brought in a great head coach, we're renovating the arena, finishing a state of the art practice facility and he's added some great players to the roster that can lead the young guys. First with Rubio and now with CP3. I think he's pushed Sarver into finally making good basketball decisions and has been a very underrated GM.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:02 am
I feel better and better having James Jones as our GM by the day. He brought in a great head coach, we're renovating the arena, finishing a state of the art practice facility and he's added some great players to the roster that can lead the young guys. First with Rubio and now with CP3. I think he's pushed Sarver into finally making good basketball decisions and has been a very underrated GM.
damnit! I think you just jinxed us.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

SunsRIt wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:39 pm
After the Suns showed what they could do without Oubre in the bubble I'm not the least bit sad to see him go. Especially if he could have played, but chose not too. I'm hoping CP3 will ride Ayton relentlessly to help him improve. Why can't they bring Amare in to show Ayton how to really attack the rim? I remember hearing Amare say his goal was to hurt the rim every time.
Amare is with the Nets now.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Yeah, I was skeptical of him when we brought him in, but I think he's been very solid so far. I don't agree with every decision he's made, but I'm glad that he seems to be a smart and savvy GM who has an eye for young talent. He also seems to have certain principles he's looking for, such as character, hard work, 3-point shooting, and defense. It feels like you can build a winning team if you prioritize qualities like that in most of your acquisitions. He doesn't seem to just go for splashy moves or guys who won't actually add to what we are trying to build. Having a coherent strategy and not just trying to maximize assets in a spreadsheety way is a good way to do things. Very pleased with him so far.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

He knows how to build a TEAM unlike the last GM.
"Be Legendary."

jonh

Post by jonh »

AmareIsGod wrote:
I will say I want to see what he is going to do with the draft and FA now that we have gone "all in" for CP3 before I really feel comfortable with the job he is doing. The Suns might be setting themselves up to be in a really precarious situation if they aren't willing to spend the money to bring in the talent needed to fill out the roster this offseason.

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:46 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
I will say I want to see what he is going to do with the draft and FA now that we have gone "all in" for CP3 before I really feel comfortable with the job he is doing. The Suns might be setting themselves up to be in a really precarious situation if they aren't willing to spend the money to bring in the talent needed to fill out the roster this offseason.
this. If we trade away 10 for two late picks, and just try and run it back with the rest of the guys we had, I will not be happy. If you are going all-in, you go all-in. No half-measures.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:53 pm
jonh wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
this. If we trade away 10 for two late picks, and just try and run it back with the rest of the guys we had, I will not be happy. If you are going all-in, you go all-in. No half-measures.
Exactly. The Suns have a two year window of going all-in now. This is what people need to remember when evaluating every move the Suns make in the near future.

I've been as critical of Sarver as anyone and I didn't expect him to be willing to spend big money on the roster, but I think he wants to win as much as all of us. Also consider the value of the franchise will increase if the team is good when the new facility opens.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:46 pm
Indy wrote:
jonh wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
Exactly. The Suns have a two year window of going all-in now. This is what people need to remember when evaluating every move the Suns make in the near future.

I've been as critical of Sarver as anyone and I didn't expect him to be willing to spend big money on the roster, but I think he wants to win as much as all of us. Also consider the value of the franchise will increase if the team is good when the new facility opens.
I don't think he wants to win as much as all of us, because he's not been willing to spend his money as much as we are all willing to spend his money.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:11 pm
INFORMER, I summon you!

Annnnnd I just saw he hasn't been active here in over a month :cry:
:lol: what's up?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Indy wrote:
Would you consider the 14th and 26th, for example, as two late picks? Not challenging you, simply curious.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Wormwood wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:38 am
I think the Nader part of the deal is really underrated. Much better RPM than Oubre. Well above average defender. Huge 7'1" wing span on a 6'5" player allows him to guard at least 3 positions. Solid 3 point range means he won't kill you on offense as a guy the other team can just leave completely alone.

He's a 9th man, bur he's a really GOOD 9th man, if you take my meaning. Good insurance if any of our SGs or SFs get hurt, and he doesn't kill the team when he's on the court.
Agreed.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:46 pm

I agree with the 2 year window. And technically, I don't think Sarver has spent big quite yet. He allowed a trade for a 45 million dollar player, but the team is still well under the luxury tax at the moment... let's see if he's willing to spend past the cap first.

I still wish we made a run at Wood for 12-15 mil per before making this trade official.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

jonh wrote:
AmareIsGod wrote:
I will say I want to see what he is going to do with the draft and FA now that we have gone "all in" for CP3 before I really feel comfortable with the job he is doing.
Words of wisdom.

INFORMER

Re: Trade: CP3

Post by INFORMER »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:29 pm
I don't love Chris Paul's salary, but I have to respect this trade. We turned the 2 contracts I was most worried about last off-season into a HOF player. Paul is still very good.
Lakers Nation probably had similar feelings when they traded for Steve Nash.

pickle

Post by pickle »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:17 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
I don't love Chris Paul's salary, but I have to respect this trade. We turned the 2 contracts I was most worried about last off-season into a HOF player. Paul is still very good.
Low blow on so many levels... Ouch.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:39 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:01 pm
I don't think I like the idea of bringing in Gallinari. He's a good shooter, but I don't think I like him as a fit here. He's old and slow and not a great fit for our young team and up-tempo offense. He isn't a great defender. And he's an injury risk on a team that already has a prominent injury risk in Paul. Plus Gallo will likely command a decently large salary, and I'm not sure I'd want to pay it to him.

I think I would rather see our PF minutes go to guys like Cam or Saric or some other free agent PF.
Yeah, what's with all the Gallo talk?
Split T wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:49 pm
Played with CP3 last year, he’s a free agent. He plays a position we have a need at. He’s on record as saying situation is more important than money. He just may be willing to sign for the MLE.
I hope we don't add Gallinari. He isn't a good defender, he is slow, he doesn't rebounder, and he disappears a lot. I get that he is buddies with Booker, but getting all of a guy's buddies doesn't help you keep your star if the buddies aren't that good.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:17 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Come on now.

Steve Nash was 38 with a chronic back injury that everyone knew about and coming off 8-straight seasons of over 32mpg under Mike D'Antoni.

Chris Paul is 34 without any major injuries and changed his body last season to offset the natural decline in physical abilities. He couldn't get to 60 games a season under D'Antoni, but not many point guards can.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:34 pm
Chris Paul is 34 without any major injuries and changed his body last season to offset the natural decline in physical abilities. He couldn't get to 60 games a season under D'Antoni, but not many point guards can.
Mike D'Antoni wasn't his coach in 2016-17.