Trade: Chris Paul to Suns for Ricky Rubio and Kelly Oubre Jr.

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
pickle

Re: Trade: Chris Paul to Suns for Ricky Rubio and Kelly Oubre Jr.

Post by pickle »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:17 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:02 am
I don't think there is any way the Magic would dump Aaron Gordon just to move up 5 spots in this draft.
Actually there are rumors they are trying exactly that. And it makes sense, if they have come to the conclusion that despite his gifts, Gordon is not going to ever become a special basketball player.

But like Split points, we don't have the contracts to add Gordon anymore.
Yeah I was just daydreaming. This is the sort of deal I wish we had made last year, when we went down 5 spots to add Saric. I like the Homie, but I think his best role is first big off the bench.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I've been on the Saric train from day one, so I'm a little biased.

He's a fantastic big man off the bench, probably one of the best in the league. He can do so much for the team if he maintains that role and is absolutely worth bringing back at his current price tag.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I like the idea of Saric. A slow footed but high bball IQ guy who can space the floor, make the right reads and passes, and defends with effort and intensity.

Unfortunately it falls apart a little when he can't hit wide open 3s... If his 3% is at 40% with decent volume, he'd be drawing interest in the 12-15 mil range. I have no idea what he's going to get now. I think he's worth 8-ish? I haven't paid attention to the cap situation, but I don't want him to tie up our ability to use the full MLE.

Also why the hell are we not bringing back Baynes?

Split T

Post by Split T »

pickle wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:21 pm
I like the idea of Saric. A slow footed but high bball IQ guy who can space the floor, make the right reads and passes, and defends with effort and intensity.

Unfortunately it falls apart a little when he can't hit wide open 3s... If his 3% is at 40% with decent volume, he'd be drawing interest in the 12-15 mil range. I have no idea what he's going to get now. I think he's worth 8-ish? I haven't paid attention to the cap situation, but I don't want him to tie up our ability to use the full MLE.

We can use the full MLE regardless of what we do with Saric. I’d go something like 2/17 for him.

Indy

Post by Indy »

pickle wrote:

right?!?

pickle

Post by pickle »

Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:23 pm
pickle wrote:

We can use the full MLE regardless of what we do with Saric. I’d go something like 2/17 for him.
I would do that on the assumption that Sarver doesn't get all cheap again and use two first rounders to move off of him in a future year.

Also, why 2 year deal? I'd rather do a 4 year for 6 per type deal for longer term security, unless we expect to have cap space in 2022? Ayton's contract will have kicked in by then even if CP3 expires, no?

Split T

Post by Split T »

pickle wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:28 pm
Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:23 pm
pickle wrote:

I would do that on the assumption that Sarver doesn't get all cheap again and use two first rounders to move off of him in a future year.

Also, why 2 year deal? I'd rather do a 4 year for 6 per type deal for longer term security, unless we expect to have cap space in 2022? Ayton's contract will have kicked in by then even if CP3 expires, no?
Not if we wait to sign him to an extension, which I’d recommend anyways with Ayton. Use cap space in 2022 before signing Bridges and Ayton

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:02 pm
The one thing we needed most was to finally keep the same team/coach together and let them grow together for once! An aging CP3 is not even necessarily an upgrade from Rubio, plus we gave up Oubre.
I hear you. I had no desire to keep Rubio, but I hate that we wasted three assets and cap flexibility on such a short-term gamble. I wish we had invested in more long-term value.

I really like Oubre, but I was willing to move him for the right player. CP3 isn't it for me.
JeremyG wrote:
They may have actually made the team worse.
I don't think that is true. But what was always going to work against the Suns is 1) the inflated value of the Bubble Performance and 2) other teams getting better. So the road ahead is probably still going to be difficult for the Suns, but not because they are worse. I think they have a good shot to make the playoffs and even be as good as a 4th or 5th seed.
JeremyG wrote:
Nobody wanted us to trade for Chris Paul when he was a year and a half younger, and now it seems like most fans think this is a great deal.
People like that the Suns got a big name and that it momentarily please Booker.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:51 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Nobody wanted us to trade for Chris Paul when he was a year and a half younger, and now it seems like most fans think this is a great deal.
It's more than that. Also that we got one of the smartest players ever to play the game and who will elevate everyone around him and make them better players for the future.
"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:54 pm
INFORMER wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
It's more than that. Also that we got one of the smartest players ever to play the game and who will elevate everyone around him and make them better players for the future.
Chris Paul was damn all-star and all NBA second teamer last year. Don’t think there’s will be that big of a drop off. I know he’s a year older and but Steve Nash lead us to a WCF at the same age in 2010.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wally_West wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:03 pm
Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
Chris Paul was damn all-star and all NBA second teamer last year. Don’t think there’s will be that big of a drop off. I know he’s a year older and but Steve Nash lead us to a WCF at the same age in 2010.
True, but he dropped off a cliff after that.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Indy wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:08 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:03 pm
Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
True, but he dropped off a cliff after that.
He was the NBA assist leader the next year and All-Star a year after that at 38.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Then he dropped off a cliff. :lol:

Fuck you, Lakers!

Indy

Post by Indy »

he wasn;t the same player in his last year year (playing age year 37), which is where Paul will be in his last season of this contract. He turns 36 this season.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Hey, guys. They're two different players. Nobody knows how Paul will be playing in two years. Paul doesn't have spina bifida or whatever it was Nash had either.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yes, they are. But there isn't a great history of players being all-nba as a PG at 37/38. I am not saying I am not happy he is here. We just need to push all the chips in and do something now instead of just hoping running it back will work. Who knows, maybe Paul will play at an All-NBA level until he is 40.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:29 pm
Yes, they are. But there isn't a great history of players being all-nba as a PG at 37/38. I am not saying I am not happy he is here. We just need to push all the chips in and do something now instead of just hoping running it back will work. Who knows, maybe Paul will play at an All-NBA level until he is 40.
I would be all for the trade if we had a chance at winning the championship this season or next. But I don't see that happening without another big piece.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:32 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:29 pm
I would be all for the trade if we had a chance at winning the championship this season or next. But I don't see that happening without another big piece.
agreed. unless this team finds a way to bring ayton to the player his physical talents could be, and mikal plays all year like he did for during that short aggressive stretch, and we get great years from the other guys. And we have some "luck" with additional injuries (nothing major for us, and major ones for others).

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

My hope is that Paul helps elevates everyone, makes them better and helps them take that next step as basketball players, so when Paul does lose a step, the younger guys, especially Ayton, are there to carry the team so it doesn’t need the all-star version Chris Paul. Booker- Mikal- Ayton are the future of this team, Paul is here to help those three, especially Ayton, reach their potential.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:46 pm
My hope is that Paul helps elevates everyone, makes them better and helps them take that next step as basketball players, so when Paul does lose a step, the younger guys, especially Ayton, are there to carry the team so it doesn’t need the all-star version Chris Paul. Booker- Mikal- Ayton are the future of this team, Paul is here to help those three, especially Ayton, reach their potential.
That's my hope too. I'm just wondering who is going to be point guard when we're vying for a championship. Probably not happening within 2 years but you never know.
"Be Legendary."