Rubae and Oubre Appreciation Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Rubae and Oubre Appreciation Thread

Post by ShelC »

I think both of these guys deserve some love even though their time in Phoenix was short lived.

The Rubio signing was generally maligned by the media but he brought a steady veteran presence at the PG spot which we desperately needed after trotting out 3rd stringers and GLeaguers the past few seasons. He was well worth what we paid and really helped solidify things on the court.

Kelly brought an infectious attitude and energy to the team from the start. Real nice two-way player for us who helped turn the tide as a player who wanted to be here. And we got him for Walking Dead Ariza.

jonh

Re: Rubae and Oubre Appreciation Thread

Post by jonh »

We aren't in this position without either of them. Oubre really was a bright spot during a dark season, and he should be paid royalties on "The Valley" jersey, because there is no way the Suns arn't obviously ripping off his "Valley Boyz" logo.

And I will miss Rubio a ton. Best point guard since Nash, and I wish there was a way we could have kept him, even with CP3 coming here. Love him as a teammate and as a leader.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Couldn’t do the trade without their contracts, but also couldn’t do the trade without the impact they had on the team. Kelly helped change the culture, Rubio made us a much more consistent team. Made 8-0 in the bubble possible and put us in position to get CP3. Very happy with both of their time here.

It’s too bad they didn’t have the new valley jerseys last year. That was tailor made for Kelly and I’d have liked to get one.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

:cry: Our Rubae

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Nothing but love for these two.

I actually think Kelly was underrated by a lot of fans. He could create offense (for himself), was athletic, played hard, hit some clutch shots and seemed to be a great locker room fit. He had some brain farts on D and could get some tunnel vision and the antics weren't for everyone, but to me that's all nit-picking. He was a massive energy and culture booster for a team that needed some personality.

Rubio was better than advertised. When he wasn't nicked up he was exactly what the team has been missing since... 2010? Great leader. All about the "we" and not the "me." And he kept defenses honest by hitting his spot-up 3s.

I hope they both get re-routed to teams that make them happy (in the East).

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Rubio was the best point guard since Nash. Oubre had stretches when he was incandescent.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Indy

Post by Indy »

LazarusLong wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:40 pm
Rubio was the best point guard since Nash. Oubre had stretches when he was incandescent.
This is a perfect summation.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:29 pm

I actually think Kelly was underrated by a lot of fans. He could create offense (for himself), was athletic, played hard, hit some clutch shots and seemed to be a great locker room fit. He had some brain farts on D and could get some tunnel vision and the antics weren't for everyone, but to me that's all nit-picking. He was a massive energy and culture booster for a team that needed some personality.

Rubio was better than advertised. When he wasn't nicked up he was exactly what the team has been missing since... 2010? Great leader. All about the "we" and not the "me." And he kept defenses honest by hitting his spot-up 3s.

I don't think it is a stretch to say this was his best year ever.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Rubio was a great transition Pg to make this team relevant again. I think we get off his contract at the best possible time.

Indy

Post by Indy »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:53 pm
Rubio was a great transition Pg to make this team relevant again. I think we get off his contract at the best possible time.
agreed. he was well worth the 17M (?) for last year. Not sure I would bet on that being the case in 2 years.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

Oubre was a great surprise.

Rubio....meh.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:29 pm

Great post! I agree with all of it.

"and the antics weren't for everyone"

Hmm. Nobody comes to mind.
"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Just mentioned in another thread, Oubre is one of my favorite players on the team, and I hate to see him go.

I appreciate everything Rubio did for the team. When he first came into the league I really wanted the Suns to get him, and I think his impact on the team cannot be ignored. If I had to nitpick, I wish we didn't have to move TJ or Melton to clear enough space to sign him. Oh well.

Cap

Post by Cap »

jonh wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:40 am
We aren't in this position without either of them. Oubre really was a bright spot during a dark season, and he should be paid royalties on "The Valley" jersey, because there is no way the Suns arn't obviously ripping off his "Valley Boyz" logo.

And I will miss Rubio a ton. Best point guard since Nash, and I wish there was a way we could have kept him, even with CP3 coming here. Love him as a teammate and as a leader.
Best PG since Nash? Dragic in 2014 was MIP and All-NBA third team.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Cap wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:59 pm
jonh wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:40 am

Yep, not better than Dragic.

But he was they steady hand they needed last year.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

Not horribly attached to either of them, so uh.. bye.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

If the Suns lost in one area of this deal it was the down grade in H-VARP (Hair Value Above Replacement).
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Dragic was listed as a shooting guard. He and Bledsoe were almost dead even with assists.

I still think Rubio was the best pure point guard since Nash.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Cap

Post by Cap »

LazarusLong wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:18 pm

Dragic was listed as a shooting guard. He and Bledsoe were almost dead even with assists.

I still think Rubio was the best pure point guard since Nash.
Bkref says he spent the majority of his time at PG (barely — 52%).

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I will miss them both. Our team will be noticeably less hott next year.