NBA DRAFT NIGHT 2020

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Who do you want the Suns to Draft?

Patrick Williams
No votes
Tyrese Haliburton
28%
Isaac Okoro
No votes
Saddiq Bey
10%
Devin Vassell
3%
Killian Hayes
14%
Kira Lewis Jr.
3%
Desmond Bane
3%
Aaron Nesmith
3%
Tyrese Maxey
No votes
Tyrell Terry
No votes
Cole Anthony
No votes
Trade down and pick...(specify who)
14%
Trade up and pick...(specify who)
No votes
Other
21%

Total votes: 29

ShelC

Re: NBA DRAFT NIGHT 2020

Post by ShelC »

I do think he's more of a small 5 from an athletic/physical standpoint but can come off screens and hit 3s like a faceup 4. Jones mentioned needing to be bigger and more athletic when guarding against teams like the Lakers so I think we'll see times when Smith is on the floor with Ayton. Thinking Cam starts at the 4 barring a major FA move and then either he or Ayton will sit and Smith could be the first big off the bench either as a 4 or 5 depending on the matchup. His 3pt shooting gives enough space for Ayton to operate down low and his hustle and shotblocking will give teams that much more to think about when he's out there with Ayton or when Ayton sits. Now we have the size, athleticism, rebounding and shotblocking to where teams can't take advantage when Ayton sits. Either way Smith should be a 28+mpg player eventually even if he never starts.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:01 am
I do think he's more of a small 5 from an athletic/physical standpoint but can come off screens and hit 3s like a faceup 4. Jones mentioned needing to be bigger and more athletic when guarding against teams like the Lakers so I think we'll see times when Smith is on the floor with Ayton. Thinking Cam starts at the 4 barring a major FA move and then either he or Ayton will sit and Smith could be the first big off the bench either as a 4 or 5 depending on the matchup. His 3pt shooting gives enough space for Ayton to operate down low and his hustle and shotblocking will give teams that much more to think about when he's out there with Ayton or when Ayton sits. Now we have the size, athleticism, rebounding and shotblocking to where teams can't take advantage when Ayton sits. Either way Smith should be a 28+mpg player eventually even if he never starts.
Ayton is usually gassed about 4 minutes into the game. He could sit then and Smith could come in...

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

And that's where we may see a faster, more modern NBA offense with Smith and the rest of the starters. Paul, Book, Mikal, Cam and Jalen. He'll be working with CP and Book screening and popping or diving while still anchoring the defense. Maybe Ayton comes back in with the bench guys and is featured more as a low-post option while the starters sit. Either way, we'll have options. I do like that the FO addressed an obvious weakness we had in the frontcourt. I know Baynes was out in the bubble but when Ayton sat and we had to go with Saric, Frank and Diallo it was just painful.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:24 am
And that's where we may see a faster, more modern NBA offense with Smith and the rest of the starters. Paul, Book, Mikal, Cam and Jalen. He'll be working with CP and Book screening and popping or diving while still anchoring the defense. Maybe Ayton comes back in with the bench guys and is featured more as a low-post option while the starters sit. Either way, we'll have options. I do like that the FO addressed an obvious weakness we had in the frontcourt. I know Baynes was out in the bubble but when Ayton sat and we had to go with Saric, Frank and Diallo it was just painful.
At the very least, it seems Smith is a clear upgrade over Frank and Diallo. And Paul is a clear upgrade (if healthy) over Rubio. The question comes around Oubre and Baynes, and our lack of SG depth.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya Smith is for sure a 5. He may be able to play the 4 in certain situations, but he’s a 5. Maybe something will change in his development, but I don’t really envision a scenario where Smith and Ayton should be playing more than a few minutes together. Not yet at least.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:24 am
Agreed. Saric had his moments, though.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm fine with Saric as a backup paired with another big like Smith. He just can't be the sole backup or starting PF. He's too limited around the basket and can't match up athletically.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:09 pm
I'm fine with Saric as a backup paired with another big like Smith. He just can't be the sole backup or starting PF. He's too limited around the basket and can't match up athletically.
I'd keep the same rotation as in the bubble. With Saric and Smith coming off the bench.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:27 pm
ShelC wrote:
I'd keep the same rotation as in the bubble. With Saric and Smith coming off the bench.
Do you see Cam as an average starting PF in the NBA this year?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

If Smith turns out to really be unable to play the 4 next to Ayton, then we will have to re-evaluate the draft in that light.

It's probably a precursor move to trading Ayton for AD.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:32 pm
If Smith turns out to really be unable to play the 4 next to Ayton, then we will have to re-evaluate the draft in that light.

It's probably a precursor move to trading Ayton for AD.
I thought Antonio Daniels retired?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It did cross my mind and there are some rumblings on twitter that Jones may have been covering himself with Smith in case they decide to move on from Ayton for one reason or another.

Split T

Post by Split T »

If Smith is really good, he’s probably a better fit than Ayton in Monty’s system. If we could turn Ayton into a long term star PG? Could be worth it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:12 pm
If Smith is really good, he’s probably a better fit than Ayton in Monty’s system. If we could turn Ayton into a long term star PG? Could be worth it.
I think Luka might be a star PG. Should be easy to trade the 1st pick for the 3rd...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:12 pm
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
The 8-0 record showed him to be a competent starting PF in the NBA, yes.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:48 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
On that we can't agree.

;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:56 pm
Superbone wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:48 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
On that we can't agree.

;)
It's not the first time and it won't be the last time. :)
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I just can't trust a guy after 8 games and when half of those the other team was resting/missing guys.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Split T wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:02 pm
Ya Smith is for sure a 5. He may be able to play the 4 in certain situations, but he’s a 5. Maybe something will change in his development, but I don’t really envision a scenario where Smith and Ayton should be playing more than a few minutes together. Not yet at least.
I guess I’m confused about what makes him a 5 for sure? Seems the size of a 4. 6’10” 225-245 is prototypical PF size.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

SunsRIt wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:58 am
Split T wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:02 pm
I guess I’m confused about what makes him a 5 for sure? Seems the size of a 4. 6’10” 225-245 is prototypical PF size.
His subpar lateral quickness.