Who is Jalen Smith?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Who is Jalen Smith?

Post by Indy »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:45 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:43 pm
carey wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:40 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:28 pm
This "second round grade" talk in reference to Jalen Smith is just silly.
Yeah and when some people look at that and call him stiff? Like what? Stiff is Jake Tsakalidas. Not Jalen Smith. He might not be Amare but he’s going to dunk on a lot of folks.
The stiff talk is because his lateral movement is so poor. He can be a bit mechanical on offense if it isn't a strictly catch and dunk situation or catch and shoot.
That's what I'm seeing as well. I wouldn't call him stiff, just a well lubricated, young Kurt Thomas.
Maybe we can trade him with 2 first round picks to dump his salary in the last year of his rookie deal!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Maybe a little McDyess there defensively. Mechanical is a good word for his offense and he's not a run-jump athlete or super bouncy but he's more than fine at 6-10 with a 7-2 wingspan.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:46 pm
76ers took Isaiah Joe...they’ve added some shooters
Is he a combination of Thomas and Dumars?
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

If Dario is returning, he should be able to find Smith for some nice alley-oops.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:35 pm
JJJ and Smith share the 3pt shot (JJJ is wauorempure though) and rim protection. Smith can't switch and JJJ can' t rebound.
8-)

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

You know who is a good comp for Jalen Smith (and his upside)? Christian Wood.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:01 pm
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:35 pm
JJJ and Smith share the 3pt shot (JJJ is wauorempure though) and rim protection. Smith can't switch and JJJ can' t rebound.
8-)
ahhaah (I meant more pure) xD

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:41 pm
Good point.

It frustrates me to listen to and read opinions from people who were big on going after Christian Wood yet quickly pan the Jalen Smith pick.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:50 pm
If Dario is returning, he should be able to find Smith for some nice alley-oops.
I'm interested to see Paul and Smith connect on some lobs. Maybe he can teach Ayton how to dunk.

carey

Post by carey »

An enjoyable watch.

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

Nice the last of couple of years to draft guys who seem smart and know how to play the game.

Indy

Post by Indy »

iLLmatic wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:43 am
INFORMER wrote:
I'm interested to see Paul and Smith connect on some lobs. Maybe he can teach Ayton how to dunk.
I want him to start ripping into Ayton for not dunking and come up with some great play on his new tattoo for every time he goes up soft.

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:12 am
iLLmatic wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
I want him to start ripping into Ayton for not dunking and come up with some great play on his new tattoo for every time he goes up soft.
He thought about dunking it.. he was contemplayton.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Oatmeal wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:41 am
Indy wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
hahahaha

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:02 am
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:41 pm
Good point.

It frustrates me to listen to and read opinions from people who were big on going after Christian Wood yet quickly pan the Jalen Smith pick.
Take a guy more than 3 spots ahead of the consensus spot and people will ignore the prospect and just trash the value of the pick. I think the suns did try and trade down, but had no biters. At least not in a position where we felt comfortable we’d still get Smith. This draft is a big enough crapshoot, that I’m fine taking him where we did. Haliburton being there is the only part that stings, but I think Jalen can be a really nice player for us.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Haliburton really slipped from where I thought he might go. Maybe we over valued him on this board. He's a 3&D prospect who can pass. Smith can rebound.

I wanted Haliburton, but I'm not going to lose my lunch until January. :twisted:
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wonder if there was concern Haliburton wouldn’t defend at the next level. He’s a smart team defender, he’s got size at 6’5, but very skinny and not a great athlete. That plus concerns he wouldn’t be able to be an on ball scoring threat might have dropped him.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:18 am
I wonder if there was concern Haliburton wouldn’t defend at the next level. He’s a smart team defender, he’s got size at 6’5, but very skinny and not a great athlete. That plus concerns he wouldn’t be able to be an on ball scoring threat might have dropped him.
Or maybe something completely different from his basketball talent drove teams away from him.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:43 am
Oatmeal wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:41 am
Indy wrote:
iLLmatic wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
hahahaha
:lol:

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:04 am
Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:18 am
Or maybe something completely different from his basketball talent drove teams away from him.
Yep, we really don’t know. Or maybe teams just messed up and he’s gonna have a 15 year highly productive career.