Who is Jalen Smith?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Who is Jalen Smith?

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:57 am
Split T wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:40 am
Superbone wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:23 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:58 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:27 am

I thought she did fine.
She did, but I'm just bummed they let Lindsay go. I liked her.
I agree. Why replace her?
$$$
Or the fact their entire broadcast team that you see in front of a camera (or hear on the radio) are all white except Eddie. Maybe her contract was up, and instead of renegotiating it they went with someone that has a different background than all the other white folks and connect with the audience in a new way.
Solid point.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Indy wrote:
Or the fact their entire broadcast team that you see in front of a camera (or hear on the radio) are all white except Eddie. Maybe her contract was up, and instead of renegotiating it they went with someone that has a different background than all the other white folks and connect with the audience in a new way.
That's a fair point, but, (1) I doubt they canned Lindsay for that reason, more likely to cut costs; and (2) women of any race are already in short supply in sports media, white or otherwise. If one's goal is to improve the diversity of the workplace, why not fire some white male instead of a rare female?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:01 pm
Indy wrote:
That's a fair point, but, (1) I doubt they canned Lindsay for that reason, more likely to cut costs; and (2) women of any race are already in short supply in sports media, white or otherwise. If one's goal is to improve the diversity of the workplace, why not fire some white male instead of a rare female?
1) It can absolutely be both.

2a) Both of the people that run Suns social media are women.

2b) Of all the on-air personalities, she had the least air time. And maybe she is one of the only on-air personalities without a contract, so easier to lay off.

ALL OF THIS SAID... I thought Lindsey did a great job and was a very valuable member of the Suns broadcast team. She will be missed and I hope she finds something else soon.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Guys, she said she has been furloughed...like many Suns employees during the pandemic. She still has her Suns title in her Twitter and IG bios. I don't think they fired her or chose not to renew her contract.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:12 pm
Guys, she said she has been furloughed...like many Suns employees during the pandemic. She still has her Suns title in her Twitter and IG bios. I don't think they fired her or chose not to renew her contract.
She is actively looking for other work.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:20 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:12 pm
She is actively looking for other work.
“In the meantime”

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Being furloughed in a case like this is like a soft firing. They stop paying her, and she's left to either sit there collecting no money, or search for other work. I think she also can't apply for unemployment, since she is technically still "employed" by the Suns, just being given 0 hours of work and pay. So she has to quit/resign, and if you quit/resign from your job, you aren't eligible for unemployment benefits. Can others confirm?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:27 am
Being furloughed in a case like this is like a soft firing. They stop paying her, and she's left to either sit there collecting no money, or search for other work. I think she also can't apply for unemployment, since she is technically still "employed" by the Suns, just being given 0 hours of work and pay. So she has to quit/resign, and if you quit/resign from your job, you aren't eligible for unemployment benefits. Can others confirm?
I think it depends on the state and how the 'furlough' is handled. I know that my company went through some furloughs 8 months ago, and we did it in a way where people kept their benefits (health insurance) but could also apply for unemployment while our furlough continued. I don't know the machinations that allow that to happen, though.