Who is Jalen Smith?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Who is Jalen Smith?

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:04 am
Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:18 am
I wonder if there was concern Haliburton wouldn’t defend at the next level. He’s a smart team defender, he’s got size at 6’5, but very skinny and not a great athlete. That plus concerns he wouldn’t be able to be an on ball scoring threat might have dropped him.
Or maybe something completely different from his basketball talent drove teams away from him.
I don't thin that's it. I've read some of his interviews and social media posts. He seems like a very grounded thoughtful young man. That's obviously not a lot of evidence to go on, but it's more than pure speculation.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I was reading this BSotS article about Smith:

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2020 ... oenix-suns

And I really liked this part:
What was so great about Stix’s predraft work?

“Jalen was one that exposed his weaknesses and [we were] able to see where he excels and where he doesn’t,” Jones said of what he liked about Smith — a 20-year-old — in the pre-draft workouts. “We came away from that excited and with some clarity knowing when he’s here with us, we can help him get better quickly.”

Jones noted that most prospects’ agents developed strict workouts that only showed a player’s strengths, and would not allow the team to deviate or control the workout in any way.

Yet Smith and his agent allowed the Suns to manipulate the workout to showcase some of his weaknesses too. Jones really liked that Smith was open to feedback, ready to put in the work to improve on his game.
He seems eager to learn and coachable. Good attitude, good head on his shoulders.

jonh

Post by jonh »

His demeanor, parts of his game (and glasses) remind me a little of Bo Outlaw.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Oatmeal wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:03 am
Nice the last of couple of years to draft guys who seem smart and know how to play the game.
That's definitely Jones' favorite player type.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Oatmeal wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:41 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:12 am
iLLmatic wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:43 am
INFORMER wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:50 pm
If Dario is returning, he should be able to find Smith for some nice alley-oops.
I'm interested to see Paul and Smith connect on some lobs. Maybe he can teach Ayton how to dunk.
I want him to start ripping into Ayton for not dunking and come up with some great play on his new tattoo for every time he goes up soft.
He thought about dunking it.. he was contemplayton.
<groan> :D
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:27 am
But hopefully with great shooting.
"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

jonh wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:27 am
Bo Outlaw with a 3 pt shot sounds good to me. I woke up feeling better about the pick. Jalen vibes with the right team culture and promote Ayton not being complAYcent. Smith gonna really try to put work in on Ayton. Military family kid, earnest, works hard, wants to win. I just hope Ayton’s actions cash in all the checks his mouth has been writing. No stupid shit this year!!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea I do like the idea of Ayton and Smith going against each other in practice. Smith can outwork Ayton who will have to raise his game, Ayton will help Smith adjust to defending bigger players. They should make each other better.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:16 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:04 am
Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:18 am
I wonder if there was concern Haliburton wouldn’t defend at the next level. He’s a smart team defender, he’s got size at 6’5, but very skinny and not a great athlete. That plus concerns he wouldn’t be able to be an on ball scoring threat might have dropped him.
Or maybe something completely different from his basketball talent drove teams away from him.
I don't thin that's it. I've read some of his interviews and social media posts. He seems like a very grounded thoughtful young man. That's obviously not a lot of evidence to go on, but it's more than pure speculation.
I prefer pure speculation! :P

I clearly have no idea why he dropped. I think nearly every mock had him as the 2nd best PG prospect behind Ball. And I guess only one PG moved up past him. And I think Hayes is more of a combo than Hali.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:47 am
Yea I do like the idea of Ayton and Smith going against each other in practice. Smith can outwork Ayton who will have to raise his game, Ayton will help Smith adjust to defending bigger players. They should make each other better.
I like the idea of them playing together too. We can have some lineups with real size.
"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

My player comp for him is Otis Thorpe as his ceiling, floor is rich man’s Bo Outlaw.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:00 am
My player comp for him is Otis Thorpe as his ceiling, floor is rich man’s Bo Outlaw.
Thurl Bailey?
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Thorpe's a good comp, also think a little Theo Ratliff. He's a unique player because you don't always see defensive bigs with a good outside shot like his.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think we’ve seen evidence of this(the start of the season with Ayton out and Baynes rolling) but I think a big that can shoot is really beneficial for Monty’s offense. Having one that can also draw defenders on the roll is huge. Jalen can do both of those. Ayton extending his range is further evidence. I think we really just want to be able to play a shooter at all 5 positions at all times. If Ayton can hit 3’s this year, do we play anyone that can’t shoot?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Smith's game is pretty similar to Ibaka (second half of his career), although Serge is more physically gifted yet he never was able to really stay in front of quick guys on the perimeter.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:04 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:00 am
Thurl Bailey?
Thurl Bailey!! Them goggles! I hope Jalen will be as durable as him and that his goggles will channel the skills of the late great goggled bigs of the past.

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:35 am
Oatmeal wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:41 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:12 am
iLLmatic wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:43 am
INFORMER wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:50 pm
If Dario is returning, he should be able to find Smith for some nice alley-oops.
I'm interested to see Paul and Smith connect on some lobs. Maybe he can teach Ayton how to dunk.
I want him to start ripping into Ayton for not dunking and come up with some great play on his new tattoo for every time he goes up soft.
He thought about dunking it.. he was contemplayton.
<groan> :D
No Hayton.

carey

Post by carey »

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

JFC. Let the kid breathe.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Especially if he has exercise-induced asthma!