2020 Suns Draft Grade

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Grade the draft

A
4%
B
62%
C
31%
D
4%
F
No votes

Total votes: 26

jonh

Re: 2020 Suns Draft Grade

Post by jonh »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:26 am
Indy wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:06 am
ShelC wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:23 am
I think we're making too much out of the backup PG situation. If we get a DJ Augustin, cool. But if we're running a .5 offense and have bubble Dario running things, then Cam, Carter and even Smith become spot up shooters. Book and CP3 will be staggered as well. I think backup 2/3 is probably where we have a bigger need and the right 2/3 could even run some offense as well.
If Book or Paul miss any significant time (especially at the same time) we are screwed. And both have a bad history of missing time.
If they miss significant time, it probably won't matter who's backing them up. There's only so much you can make up for with backups as we saw last year. If it's Haliburton or DJ Augustin starting and playing 30+ a night for Paul, we're probably screwed.
Im sure it probably would not be good for the team's immediate productivity, but giving a high-upside rookie those minutes in limited spurts (depending on how many games CP3 would be out) seems like an ideal way to break him in.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:
I think we're making too much out of the backup PG situation. If we get a DJ Augustin, cool. But if we're running a .5 offense and have bubble Dario running things, then Cam, Carter and even Smith become spot up shooters. Book and CP3 will be staggered as well. I think backup 2/3 is probably where we have a bigger need and the right 2/3 could even run some offense as well.
If Book or Paul miss any significant time (especially at the same time) we are screwed. And both have a bad history of missing time.
If they miss significant time, it probably won't matter who's backing them up. There's only so much you can make up for with backups as we saw last year. If it's Haliburton or DJ Augustin starting and playing 30+ a night for Paul, we're probably screwed.
I don't mean they go out for half the season with an injury. We'd be screwed for sure.

I mean they miss 2-3 games here and there throughout the season. The difference between 4th seed and out of the playoffs could be 5 games.

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:30 am
ShelC wrote:
Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Im sure it probably would not be good for the team's immediate productivity, but giving a high-upside rookie those minutes in limited spurts (depending on how many games CP3 would be out) seems like an ideal way to break him in.
I get the impression that Jones and Monty are more than happy to give those minutes to Payne.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:13 am
I gave the draft a C.

Smith looks like an interesting player, and he fills a need. He doesn't seem like he'll be a star, but he could be a rotation player and maybe even someday a starting PF if all goes well. I like the footage I've seen and the strengths he brings. I will like him even more if he can bring his good shooting with him to the NBA. He seemed to shoot well in the latter part of his NCAA season. I am a little skeptical about whether it will translate in the NBA; the shot is farther out, and his form has a bit of a full-body lurch to it that may make it hard for him to get open enough to get his shot off.

His shot is the last thing I’m worried about. It looks real good to me.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:53 am
I gave it a B. Smith is the kind of guy who can play for the Suns. He does address a need. But I felt we still need shot creators even more than we needed size.
I think there is some validity to that. Having a secondary scoring threat on the perimeter next Booker was one of the things I loved about having Oubre and will miss. CP3 will pick up some of the slack, but it isn't the same as having that one on one, athletic, scoring threat at or above 6'6.

On other hand, bigs that rebound, block shots, and hit 3s don't grow on trees. So Smith's value is pretty special too, as long as he can translate his collegiate game to the pro level.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:13 am
My main worry is about asset management. Last offseason we gave away some picks and assets to jettison players. And in both last draft and this draft, we seem to have drafted a guy 5-10 spots higher than anybody thought he would go. I respect that our FO knows who they want and goes after him rather than catering to what the mocks and experts want. But I wish Jones would learn how to maximize his bargaining position and trade down and pick up some extra picks while still being able to get "his" guy.
I wish "his guy" would at some point be the best player.

I think this way of operating is great for a team trying to avoid sucking, but not so great if you actually want to put together a contender.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:25 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:53 am
I gave it a B. Smith is the kind of guy who can play for the Suns. He does address a need. But I felt we still need shot creators even more than we needed size.
I think there is some validity to that. Having a secondary scoring threat on the perimeter next Booker was one of the things I loved about having Oubre and will miss. CP3 will pick up some of the slack, but it isn't the same as having that one on one, athletic, scoring threat at or above 6'6.

On other hand, bigs that rebound, block shots, and hit 3s don't grow on trees. So Smith's value is pretty special too, as long as he can translate his collegiate game to the pro level.
I think Saric is our 3rd best creator right now (assuming he re-signs).

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

That sucks.