2020 Suns Draft Grade

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Grade the draft

A
4%
B
62%
C
31%
D
4%
F
No votes

Total votes: 26

Indy

2020 Suns Draft Grade

Post by Indy »

What grade do you give the draft? Not all the moves that got us here, but how we did with what we had. (these are fun to look at in retrospect)

Indy

Re: 2020 Suns Draft Grade

Post by Indy »

I went with B, based on how I think it will turn out. If the 10th pick in this draft turns into a solid 7th-8th man in the NBA, I will consider it a win. If Haliburton blows up (in a good way) and becomes an above average starting PG, or even a solid PG, it will be a loss.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’ll go B as well. Jalen Smith is solid. He should be a good nba player.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I picked B as well but C+ feels more appropriate. Seems like a solid pick, but with Haliburton still on the board, it just seems like a huge missed opportunity.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wally_West wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:12 pm
I picked B as well but C+ feels more appropriate. Seems like a solid pick, but with Haliburton still on the board, it just seems like a huge missed opportunity.
Yep Haliburton my only regret. I almost wish he never dropped now.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

B felt too high, but C felt too low.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I went C and that's not a reflection of Smith. I just think that highly of Hali and his potential short and long-term fit here.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:16 pm
B felt too high, but C felt too low.
Ha! I originally has A+, A, A-, B+, B... and dropped it back to this because it felt too granular.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

B.

High floor, low ceiling. Fills a need. Good character.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

B-

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

C. Not a huge fan of Jalen Smith...yet. Watched plenty of him at Maryland. Maryland teams are always kinda weird. Usually talented but tend to be undisciplined and fall apart at some point. Could be mainly a product of the coach. Seems like they have a lot of guys who never really reach their full potential.

Melo Trimble went from lottery pick to undrafted a couple years back. Bruno Fernando was better than Smith and I didn’t hear a word about him his rookie year in ATL. Huerter never really stood out in the year (I think) he was there. Anthony Cowan Jr never reached his full potential and went undrafted tonight.

Dragon Bender and Andrew Wiggins brother were both teammates with Jalen Smith as well. Bender transferred and Wiggins hasn’t played much. Maryland had 5 transfers this offseason.

Smith always showed talent but seemed like he was never playing all that smart. Again, I have doubts about their coach so we’ll see what Monty can do with Jaylen.

I really felt like there were better more accomplished players available so trade down for once.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Jonathan Tjarks - The Ringer
10. Phoenix Suns: Jalen Smith, F/C, Maryland
The Suns clearly don’t believe in draft ranges, that’s for sure. A year after shocking the NBA draft community by taking Cam Johnson at no. 11, they did it again with Smith, who was ranked no. 17 on The Ringer’s big board. There are more than a few similarities between the two players. Both are 3-and-D prospects with great size and big question marks surrounding every other part of their game. Shot-blocking centers with legitimate 3-point range aren’t quite as unusual as they used to be, but players like Smith are still fairly uncommon. The question is how much he can play as a power forward next to Deandre Ayton. Otherwise the Suns just used a top-10 pick on someone who can only play 15 minutes per game on their roster.

Grade: C
I think it's fair to question if it's smart to use the 10th pick on a guy who might just be a rotation player, but this was the definitive rotation player draft. So whatever.

I don't really see any reason why he couldn't eventually play next to Ayton.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

The question is how much he can play as a power forward next to Deandre Ayton. Otherwise the Suns just used a top-10 pick on someone who can only play 15 minutes per game on their roster.
Good point.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

What if Smith turns out to be as good as or better than Ayton?

It's not totally impossible, right?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I'm not sure if that is a good thing.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:12 pm
I'm not sure if that is a good thing.
lol

Split T

Post by Split T »

If some misfit star becomes available, I wouldn’t hesitate to trade Ayton. Is there a world where Ayton-Simmons-Beal are the main pieces of a big 3-team blockbuster?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It is if they can figure that out before the rest of the NBA.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:13 pm
If some misfit star becomes available, I wouldn’t hesitate to trade Ayton. Is there a world where Ayton-Simmons-Beal are the main pieces of a big 3-team blockbuster?
Not now that Daryl Morey is in Philly. And Washington already has a center that can light up Ayton.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:57 pm
The question is how much he can play as a power forward next to Deandre Ayton. Otherwise the Suns just used a top-10 pick on someone who can only play 15 minutes per game on their roster.
Good point.
I don't see why he can't play some center too. Monty can get him on the court if he shows he can play.