Ricky Trade Reaction and Org Reputation

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Vladimir_Taltos

Ricky Trade Reaction and Org Reputation

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

This is another reason our off-season moves bugged me...
CP is exciting, but you have to ask, for the long term might we have been better off doing something like taking Haliburton as Ricky's understudy and trading for a PF...or another pick? The negative look of this on the organization after Ricky came in and did a pretty good job...it was only the first year and we did go 8-0 in the bubble, come on...just seems a bit..disingenuous...on our part...shrug. I think this hurts us with future free agents, at least some...

https://clutchpoints.com/thunder-news-r ... hris-paul/

ShelC

Re: Ricky Trade Reaction and Org Reputation

Post by ShelC »

I get it and I wasn't happy to see Rubio or Oubre go either. I'm sure those guys are raw given how they helped turn the org around and the good vibes we had in the bubble and heading into this season. But when you have a chance to upgrade to Chris Paul, whether you think he's worth it or not, you do it. If we had the chance to get CP3 and passed on him for whatever reason, we may have alienated Book and had him shaking his head thinking the FO/ownership wasn't doing everything it could to win. I don't know how things played out with Rubio, maybe there were sensitivities about leaks or league rules around when teams could talk? It's just a shitty situation for Rubio who signed here thinking he'd be here for a few years and then have to pack up and leave. But it's also not a typical offseason when guys like CP3, Harden and Westbrook come on the market.

We're on the radar now, more than we would've been had we stood pat and there may be more FAs willing to sign with us now (esp on the cheap) because of our chance to really make noise. I doubt a year from now, players around the league will even remember this much less care. Different situation than when McD was pissing off the Morris Bros, Goran, IT, Bledsoe, etc.

Split T

Post by Split T »

One thing I’ll say on the topic in general. The landscape of the nba today is constant player movement. Often the players get blamed for that(joining forces with their buddies) but I think teams are just as guilty. Trades like this or what Danny Ainge always does are the reason I have no problem when players ask to be traded. They have every right to do that, just as teams have every right to trade players without their consent. I’m sad for Ricky and Oubre as a fan, but as someone who is a fan of the suns first, it had to be done.

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

Remember when we had a chance to get Irving? As already said, I don't think Book would have been happy should we pass on another all-star.

Plus CP3 is well-respected by the league (helped make the bubble happen), by the players. The Suns haven't had credibility for 10 years. People see this organisation as one of the worst-led, goat-shit and foam-finger were almost our new logo.
James Jones is said to be a plyer-friendly GM and got us some respectability. Now with Chris Paul, I think we're more than out of the junkyard of the NBA. And even could we get favorable calls from the referees (yeah I know, but let's dream).

The price was steep but I could really be worth it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

rhylek wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:00 pm
Remember when we had a chance to get Irving? As already said, I don't think Book would have been happy should we pass on another all-star.

Plus CP3 is well-respected by the league (helped make the bubble happen), by the players. The Suns haven't had credibility for 10 years. People see this organisation as one of the worst-led, goat-shit and foam-finger were almost our new logo.
James Jones is said to be a plyer-friendly GM and got us some respectability. Now with Chris Paul, I think we're more than out of the junkyard of the NBA. And even could we get favorable calls from the referees (yeah I know, but let's dream).

The price was steep but I could really be worth it.
Remember in the playoffs when Paul got a tech called on someone by telling the refs his jersey was untucked?

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:53 am
It's just a shitty situation for Rubio who signed here thinking he'd be here for a few years and then have to pack up and leave.
It’s not like he sacrificed money or turned down a better situation to come here.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Ricky can't complain. Thanks to PHX he got the contract of his life and in the end he is back on a team and city where he is loved. Not a bad business from his standpoint, I'd say.

As for the org, this sends a message: we are serious about winning and are willing to spend. Players and agents got to respect that.

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

This trade was done in the right way for the right reasons.

He got paid to play, he is still getting paid to play, the whole league know CP3 is an upgrade and would make a similar move.

As others have said, like him or not CP3 is well respected among other players and him coming here will drastically change others perception of this organisarion. If CP3 is happy to come here and play and make some noise then others are more likely to follow.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I still feel really bad about Ricky.

Oubre got exactly what was coming to him after he refused to play in the bubble.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I feel a little bit bad for Ricky who came here, invested in this team, played a great season, and was a big part of our bubble success, only to be discarded. But it's a business, and he was traded to a good situation, a team that will love him and welcome him back, and he's making good money. I don't think he has been mistreated nor that he'll be miserable back in Minny. And I don't think it makes our franchise look bad or look like we don't treat our players well. Both Rubio and Oubre have landed in good situations.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I wouldn't be surprised if, while not a precondition of the deal, Phoenix and OKC agreed to work in good faith to move Ricky and Kelly to more desirable situations.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:53 am
I wouldn't be surprised if, while not a precondition of the deal, Phoenix and OKC agreed to work in good faith to move Ricky and Kelly to more desirable situations.
I thought that was reported. Actually, maybe just mentioned by Flex on some podcast. I remember him saying that the suns were treating the players like people this time around, and trying to find a good home. I wouldn't be surprised to find out later that talks were happening between all 4 teams at some point.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Indy wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:30 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:53 am
I thought that was reported. Actually, maybe just mentioned by Flex on some podcast. I remember him saying that the suns were treating the players like people this time around, and trying to find a good home. I wouldn't be surprised to find out later that talks were happening between all 4 teams at some point.
In that case, extrange that it wasn't reported as a bigger deal from the beginning. But it makes sense.
Last edited by Ring_Wanted on Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

They probably got close, but I can see where OKC needed the trade done beforehand to set up their other moves and said they’d just take them and finish them on their own. You’d also need to include LA on the trade because one of the picks they sent to Minny came in the Schroeder trade. Or I guess just do that Schroeder trade first.