Free Agency Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Free Agency Thread

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:23 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:47 pm
It makes sense to try to isolate a young big guy on the perimeter. Hopefully, DA can continue to improve on D and teams won't be so eager. Still, this is why we need other players like Smith who can hold down the paint.
Right? That tweet makes it seem like it was a good thing people were challenging him so often.
It's a little of both. Teams challenged him, but also Monty was comfortable letting DA switch picks. I bet we didn't see the same scheme when Baynes was on the floor.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:14 pm
Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
It makes sense to try to isolate a young big guy on the perimeter. Hopefully, DA can continue to improve on D and teams won't be so eager. Still, this is why we need other players like Smith who can hold down the paint.
Right? That tweet makes it seem like it was a good thing people were challenging him so often.
It's a little of both. Teams challenged him, but also Monty was comfortable letting DA switch picks. I bet we didn't see the same scheme when Baynes was on the floor.
The issue on the switch wasn’t who Ayton ended up on. It was the big he switched off of that did the damage against our smaller guys.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:40 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
The issue on the switch wasn’t who Ayton ended up on. It was the big he switched off of that did the damage against our smaller guys.
It's a pick your poison situation, but defensively the main goal of a switch today is to avoid easy 3pt looks, and Ayton helps a ton with that. It's ok demanding more from him, but we should also acknowledge that he provides a rare two-way skillset given his ability to defend the perimeter.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Looks like a training camp body, 6-8 240 with a 7-4(!) wingspan out of Baylor in 2017. Played the last few years with Clips' GLeague team.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:04 am
Superbone wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:40 pm
O_Gardino wrote:
Indy wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
It's a pick your poison situation, but defensively the main goal of a switch today is to avoid easy 3pt looks, and Ayton helps a ton with that. It's ok demanding more from him, but we should also acknowledge that he provides a rare two-way skillset given his ability to defend the perimeter.
I agree with both. It's not Ayton's fault if the switches hurt us in the post. But I do hoe we are able to play Smith and Ayton together so they can cover each other.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:58 am
Looks like a training camp body, 6-8 240 with a 7-4(!) wingspan out of Baylor in 2017. Played the last few years with Clips' GLeague team.

A great addition to our Crüe!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Not the Cyber Monday steal I was hoping for, but still not a bad pickup for training camp.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Did we have a spot on the regular roster still? Was BJ Johnson a 2-way or a guaranteed deal?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

In terms of value, I'd say we did pretty good with Galloway and Moore. Crowder and Saric are moveable if need be and Jones is almost just a training camp invite.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:18 am
I live in portland. Hassan puts up stats consistently. His problem is often not being motivated into trying. Dame has a solid culture in the team. He had to ride Hassan all last year to stay engaged. His effort was inconsistent. Otherwise Whiteside would dominate in this league.
https://sports.yahoo.com/hassan-whitesi ... 10558.html
That's not laziness though; that is an issue of philosophy and willingness to apply oneself to one aspect of the game. Whiteside has no qualms busting his butt crashing the glass and or chasing blocks; he just doesn't have the desire (and is lacking in ability) to effectively switch and rotate. He isn't the first big to operate like that; it's the tunnel vision of thinking all a big man should do is lock down the paint.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:

I love this move.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:48 am
Crowder and Saric are moveable if need be
Unless he demands a trade, moving Crowder will be more scorched earth.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:53 pm
ShelC wrote:
Agreed. The only way either of them will be traded is if this coming season is a complete failure and there needs to be an emergency "reset" that also involves trading Chris Paul. I don't think there are high odds of that happening.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:23 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:53 pm
ShelC wrote:
Agreed. The only way either of them will be traded is if this coming season is a complete failure and there needs to be an emergency "reset" that also involves trading Chris Paul. I don't think there are high odds of that happening.
Or if Crowder pulls an "Ariza," but he doesn't strike me as the type.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:51 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:18 am
I live in portland. Hassan puts up stats consistently. His problem is often not being motivated into trying. Dame has a solid culture in the team. He had to ride Hassan all last year to stay engaged. His effort was inconsistent. Otherwise Whiteside would dominate in this league.
https://sports.yahoo.com/hassan-whitesi ... 10558.html
That's not laziness though; that is an issue of philosophy and willingness to apply oneself to one aspect of the game. Whiteside has no qualms busting his butt crashing the glass and or chasing blocks; he just doesn't have the desire (and is lacking in ability) to effectively switch and rotate. He isn't the first big to operate like that; it's the tunnel vision of thinking all a big man should do is lock down the paint.
Word. Glad he’s not on our squad.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Yeah, he definitely isn't a James Jones guy, but I think he has value. At the end of the day, he was super productive on a playoff team that did a decent job competing against the world champs.

I think 'bazz mentioned earlier that he would have been good for the Hornets. Boston wouldn't have been bad.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:52 pm
ShelC wrote:

I love this move.
A+
"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:52 pm
ShelC wrote:

I love this move.
I love how excited you can get over the end of the bench.