Free Agency Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Free Agency Thread

Post by ShelC »

Dario and Smith as the main bigs, Jones in spot minutes. I get what you're saying tho. Still surprised we didn't go after Dedmon.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Meh, Dario proved plenty capable of being the backup 5 last year. Add that and Jalen and we’re set. Damian Jones is our break in case of emergency. No vet wants to come be a 3rd string C outside the rotation.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:37 pm
Dario and Smith as the main bigs, Jones in spot minutes. I get what you're saying tho. Still surprised we didn't go after Dedmon.
I would really like someone that has more experience than Dario as a backup in the 4/5 spot. Even if they don't play much/at all, I think it would go a long way. Besides, if Ayton or Dario get hurt for a few games, that means we are relying on complete unknowns/non-NBA players for significant minutes up there, and that isn't a recipe for success.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Indy wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:57 pm
ShelC wrote:
I would really like someone that has more experience than Dario as a backup in the 4/5 spot. Even if they don't play much/at all, I think it would go a long way. Besides, if Ayton or Dario get hurt for a few games, that means we are relying on complete unknowns/non-NBA players for significant minutes up there, and that isn't a recipe for success.
There is no shortage on bigs right now. Any more legit guys waiting in the wings and you’d have a chemistry problem. If Ayton or Crowder go down, there will be lingering bigs and buyouts wanting to join us in the playoffs for a crack at minutes and earning a contract.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:38 pm
Indy wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:57 pm
ShelC wrote:
There is no shortage on bigs right now. Any more legit guys waiting in the wings and you’d have a chemistry problem. If Ayton or Crowder go down, there will be lingering bigs and buyouts wanting to join us in the playoffs for a crack at minutes and earning a contract.
Crowder isn't a big. He is 6-6. Sure he is wider/heavier than Book, but they are the same height. It would just be good to have someone at the end of the bench you could call on if needed (and provide some veteran presence of someone that has played against bigs his entire career).

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The main roster is full now, no? I think we have one more 2-way.

Booker, Paul, Payne, Carter, Moore, Galloway, Alexander (2-way)
Cam, Bridges, Nader, BJ
Crowder, Saric
Ayton, Smith, Jones
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I wonder if Kaminsky would come back on a 2-way.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:03 pm
I wonder if Kaminsky would come back on a 2-way.
Come on.
"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

That was rude, I know.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Don’t like the BJ signing. Would have preferred another big man. Or a big man that’s not Damian Jones

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I like Ty-Shon, but he is burrrried on that depth chart.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Taj Gibson - undersized 5 but a good defender, solid pro, decent jumper but not a 3pt threat, might want too many minutes?
Dewayne Dedmon - solid big with 3pt range, not sure why he's unsigned but might want a bigger role than we can offer?
Anthony Tolliver - a little undersized but a good stretch big in spot minutes
Kyle O'Quinn - some past character issues, less athletic, slower, tougher big but a good passer and nice mid range game
Noah Vonleh - less athletic but good size, another mid range guy
Jordan Bell - was a hot name in the draft a few years ago but still young and athletic
Ian Mahinmi - legit center older, end of bench type

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

We don’t have a role for legit veteran bigs as constructed. While we want assurances, they just don’t exist. I think we will have flexibility to get someone in the event we will need someone.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Didn't the Pistons just waive Dedmond yesterday? I think Detroit had him when we picked up Jones.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:51 pm
What the heck? He was available? Why did no team want him?! A one-year minimum deal???
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:06 pm
ShelC wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:51 pm
What the heck? He was available? Why did no team want him?! A one-year minimum deal???
Cuz you have to ride his butt all season to keep him focused. We don’t want him unless we’re in a position where we need him.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea Whiteside is not the kind of guy Jones would add to the roster. Perfect fit for the Kings tho for sure.

Indy

Post by Indy »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:11 pm
Yea Whiteside is not the kind of guy Jones would add to the roster. Perfect fit for the Kings tho for sure.
LOL

Indy

Post by Indy »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:01 pm
We don’t have a role for legit veteran bigs as constructed. While we want assurances, they just don’t exist. I think we will have flexibility to get someone in the event we will need someone.
What does this mean?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Charlotte should have been after Whiteside.