I can't believe we don't have a dedicated thread on Jae Crowder, so here it is!

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Charlie Smithy!

I can't believe we don't have a dedicated thread on Jae Crowder, so here it is!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Jae Crowder, the beloved son of Corey Crowder, who briefly played in the NBA.

INFORMER

Re: I can't believe we don't have a dedicated thread on Jae Crowder, so here it is!

Post by INFORMER »

Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Wally_West

Re: I can't believe we don't have a dedicated thread on Jae Crowder, so here it is!

Post by Wally_West »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Long been a favorite player of mine since he came into the league. Glad he's here to add some physicality, toughness, defensive versatility at the 2/3/4 and some playoff experience.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Olson's take on Trevor Ariza:
Ariza’s main offensive skill at this point is his shooting, where he checked in at 36 percent from deep on over six attempts a game through four years in Houston. On that level of attempts, Ariza is a more than reliable floor spacer, but he also knows exactly where to be on both ends of the floor, unlike the two former top-10 picks.

The Suns won’t have to worry about shrugging their shoulders and picking one of their younger forwards to start like they did with Josh Jackson guarding Blake Griffin on opening night last year.

Instead, Ariza gives them a rock-solid 28-to-35 minutes a night on both ends. He will knock down his threes and he will play above average defense.

A veteran power forward that can do that is not cheap, and the Suns paid a high price to make it a one-year deal.

That’s a crucial piece of information to understanding the Ariza deal, because the Suns have a long-term vision of playing Jackson and Mikal Bridges together for long stretches of games. Now, they don’t have to rush into that idea or rely on the so-far unreliable Bender or Chriss.

That was worth handcuffing themselves for the rest of free agency.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

This is not Trevor.

Jae has always been known as a high motor player. That wasn’t Trevor’s MO. It was clear from the time he arrived that he didn’t want to be here.

The comparisons you’re trying to force are just off IMO

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I already said Crowder won't mail it in like Trevor did.

But I was curious about Olson's take on the Ariza acquisition. I don't think the Crowder signing is awful or horrendous; I though Ariza's was. But I don't think it is a particularly good move either. And I think some of the rationale that people used to talk themselves into liking the Ariza move is being used here as well.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thank's CS! (From the main I can't believe we don't have a thread guy.)
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

In Kellan Olson’s defense, Ariza would have been a decent player if he actually cared to try. It was our mistake for thinking he was the leader type to guide our young players, but Ariza saw that we weren’t that good and checked out. He only signed in the first place because we overpaid him.

I also don’t love the Crowder signing, but I understand it and am ok with it. We’re not asking him to be a leader, or lift up a crappy team. We’re just asking him to play a role on an already good team with its leaders in place.

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:53 pm

But I was curious about Olson's take on the Ariza acquisition. I don't think the Crowder signing is awful or horrendous; I though Ariza's was. But I don't think it is a particularly good move either. And I think some of the rationale that people used to talk themselves into liking the Ariza move is being used here as well.
I like listening to his podcast, but he talks faster than he thinks, and I assume that is the same for his writing. Kevin Zimmerman usually has more further-thought-out takes on the show.

I think Kellan would be the first to admit how wrong he was about Ariza. He talks about how bad Ariza was for us on the regular. And he isn't like some famous draft guys that go back and delete or change their previous predictions.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:57 pm
In Kellan Olson’s defense, Ariza would have been a decent player if he actually cared to try. It was our mistake for thinking he was the leader type to guide our young players, but Ariza saw that we weren’t that good and checked out. He only signed in the first place because we overpaid him.

I also don’t love the Crowder signing, but I understand it and am ok with it.
We’re not asking him to be a leader, or lift up a crappy team. We’re just asking him to play a role on an already good team with its leaders in place.
Yeah, it is fine. If after the Paul trade, you heard we would have ended free agency and the draft by re-signing Dario, picking Jalen Smith, and signing Crowder for the full MLE, I doubt anyone here would have said it was a even a B+ off-season.

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:00 pm
INFORMER wrote:

I like listening to his podcast, but he talks faster than he thinks, and I assume that is the same for his writing. Kevin Zimmerman usually has more further-thought-out takes on the show.

I think Kellan would be the first to admit how wrong he was about Ariza. He talks about how bad Ariza was for us on the regular. And he isn't like some famous draft guys that go back and delete or change their previous predictions.
Zimmerman is the worst. He talks in a slow monotone voice and I’m not sure he ever really knows what he’s talking about. Kellan has to prod him all the time. I don’t know who thought they’d make a good podcast duo.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:11 pm
Indy wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

Zimmerman is the worst. He talks in a slow monotone voice and I’m not sure he ever really knows what he’s talking about. Kellan has to prod him all the time. I don’t know who thought they’d make a good podcast duo.
I feel the exact opposite. :) Kellan talks without taking a breath for 90% of the show. He hardly lets Kevin talk. I listen to hear Kevin bring Kellan back down to earth.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:02 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:57 pm

I also don’t love the Crowder signing, but I understand it and am ok with it.
We’re not asking him to be a leader, or lift up a crappy team. We’re just asking him to play a role on an already good team with its leaders in place.
Yeah, it is fine. If after the Paul trade, you heard we would have ended free agency and the draft by re-signing Dario, picking Jalen Smith, and signing Crowder for the full MLE, I doubt anyone here would have said it was a even a B+ off-season.
Ya I think Jalen is good, same with Crowder and Saric, but I’ve thought our biggest need this whole time has been a creator off the bench and we still haven’t got that. I’ve been optimistic about Cam Payne, hopefully he’s up for it.

BookTheGoat

Post by BookTheGoat »

Indy wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:22 pm
carey wrote:
Indy wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

I feel the exact opposite. :) Kellan talks without taking a breath for 90% of the show. He hardly lets Kevin talk. I listen to hear Kevin bring Kellan back down to earth.
I’m with Carey. Kevin seems clueless for the most part. Lol

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

BookTheGoat wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:05 am
Indy wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:22 pm
carey wrote:
Indy wrote:
INFORMER wrote:

I’m with Carey. Kevin seems clueless for the most part. Lol
I'm with you guys too on this one. Kevin used to do the intros and it was so low key it was unbelievable. Finally Kellan took it over.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

It's an ok move. Not bad but not great. Crowder is the type of player we needed, a SF/PF who can defend and shoot. But beware as he is not great at shooting: besides last half season in MIA, Crowder has shot better than 35% from 3pt only once (2017 in BOS).

So in a sense I am relieved that Jones has gone afer the kind of player this roster was calling for, instead of adding more of what we already have (seems obvious but NBA GMs have an absurd tendency to make moves for redundant pieces).

But on the other hand, I am underwhelmed that there was no other big move after Paul. If you are going all in, go all in. But that point has nothing to do with Crowder the player, especially when he is not making stupid money, just MLE over three years.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:20 am
But beware as he is not great at shooting: besides last half season in MIA, Crowder has shot better than 35% from 3pt only once (2017 in BOS).
He has also shot worse than 32% only once. Six out of eight seasons in the range .323-.343. Weirdly consistent.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I just think he needs to be on a good team with good players where he can just focus on what he's good at and take good shots given to him.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think the Crowder signing is fine and that in general we're making some nice moves to be a playoff team this coming season. Chris Paul and Jae Crowder are both veterans who have made multiple playoff runs and can help lead our young guys. And Smith is a solid draft pick who helps fill out our big man rotation at the 4/5. We are targeting high-character guys who can shoot and defend. Our team has an identity.

I think if we re-sign Payne or a similar decent backup PG, and re-sign Saric or another backup big man, we should be pretty set. I didn't want or expect any more from this offseason; I'm pretty happy overall.