I can't believe we don't have a dedicated thread on Jae Crowder, so here it is!

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: I can't believe we don't have a dedicated thread on Jae Crowder, so here it is!

Post by Split T »

They picked up Payne’s option, so he’s on the team.

INFORMER

Re: I can't believe we don't have a dedicated thread on Jae Crowder, so here it is!

Post by INFORMER »

Mori: Payne has already been retained.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Good to know! Let's hope he can continue from where he left off.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:17 am
Mori: Payne has already been retained.
That's good to hear. No Payne, no gayne.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

<insert drum crash>

Is Baynes officially gone?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:39 pm
<insert drum crash>

Is Baynes officially gone?
Yes, signed with Tampa.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Thanks

Split T

Post by Split T »

Bill Simmons included Jae Crowder on his best signings in free agency. Also included Serge at 2/19, Montrezl at 2/19, Thompson at 2/19 and Robin Lopez at 1/9. Might have had another one in there, but I don’t remember.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Hollinger on the Crowder signing, haven't seen it posted anywhere, sorry for the formatting. Should be easy to read tho!

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Don't know why Hollinger thinks the Jones signing is "bizarre." He's just there for front court depth.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Split T

Post by Split T »

My guess, without any evidence of my own, is that Jones is probably pretty clueless on the court. He’s got the physical skills, but based on how people who followed the Hawks don’t think he’s an nba player, I’d guess it has to do with his bball IQ and decision making. Again, I have no evidence for this, but I believe Hollinger is based out of Atlanta, he’s probably seen him and is basing his opinion on the eye test. He actually looks good from an advanced stats standpoint, including PER which Hollinger created. I guess we’ll find out for ourselves...hopefully just in garbage minutes.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I could be wrong on this, but Jones could be a Tyson Chandler type player for CP3 on offense. He's already pretty good as the roller to the hoop and catching lobs.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:20 pm
I could be wrong on this, but Jones could be a Tyson Chandler type player for CP3 on offense. He's already pretty good as the roller to the hoop and catching lobs.
Chandler's FG spiked noticeably when he was with NO and around Paul. One can only hope ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:47 pm
Don't know why Hollinger thinks the Jones signing is "bizarre." He's just there for front court depth.
My thought as well. I don't even expect to see him on the floor unless it's garbage time.
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:49 pm
The Bobster wrote:
My thought as well. I don't even expect to see him on the floor unless it's garbage time.
Because he doesn’t fit the mold of the entire rest of the roster. There were much better options out there.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:43 pm
Superbone wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
Because he doesn’t fit the mold of the entire rest of the roster. There were much better options out there.
They might just find themselves needing a big strong body to bang on people from time to time. He should fill the bill for that much.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:20 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:43 pm
Superbone wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
They might just find themselves needing a big strong body to bang on people from time to time. He should fill the bill for that much.
Maybe, but you would hope you could get a veteran there that could provide some expertise, even if he can't do everything he used to do or doesn't fit the mold. I am usually in favor of giving the spots to younger guys with even a glimmer of potential, but it seems like that is 75% of our roster right now. I was hoping for some "you know what you are getting" from a big 4/5 and some experience in the league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I like Crowder the player, have kept an eye on him since he was on the Mavs... but I'm pretty disappointed in this signing. I haven't read the whole free agency thread yet, but I was initially shocked and massively disappointed that we didn't go after Wood. Or maybe we did but couldn't manager? But he only got a 3/41 deal... We could've offered much more in terms of stability and opportunity. Sigh.

Crowder is the kind of guy you get during the trade deadline to bolster your chances at contending, not someone you make a "splash" for during free agency after going all in for CP3.

Split T

Post by Split T »

We didn’t have the money to get Wood.

pickle

Post by pickle »

As some of these podcasters say these days, cap space is a state of mind. If we wanted him badly enough, we would've figured out something...