Are you excited for the ‘20-‘21 season?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Are you excited for the season?

Hell, yeah! I wish it started tomorrow!
97%
Meh. We didn’t improve enough.
3%
Nah, we gave out a bunch of crap contracts.
No votes

Total votes: 31

carey

Are you excited for the ‘20-‘21 season?

Post by carey »

This is the first time I’ve been excited about Suns basketball in a long time. I don’t even much like Chris Paul but I’ll acknowledge that his teams win. If he stays healthy we will be a playoff team.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Re: Are you excited for the ‘20-‘21 season?

Post by Superbone »

Very excited. The most since the Dragic post Nash years where we just missed the playoffs. Just happened to coincide with the lost year of phxsuns.net.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Just exited about the Suns in general and the direction they are going. It all starts with Monty and Booker, i just think that is a winning combination going forward.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I am interested. Like, actually looking forward to watch the games, actively thinking about ways to make the next leap, etc. I haven't had that in a long time. But I don't think we are more than a playoff contender. I see PHX as no guarantee to make the postseason and in no way already a lock, like I've seen tossed around. But I want to actually see what happens.

Also, it remains to be seen what happens with Saric/Baynes, from being let go, to used in a sign and trade. Probably will just keep Saric on a contract that is not absurd but feels a little like an overpay.

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Hell, yeah! Start the season already.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

Excited for the first time in a while. Although I was excited last year until after the first game so I’m a little reluctant to jump in too excited.
I do feel we need a little more depending on Saric & Baynes contracts etc but feel we can make a lot of noise this year which may mean we are shown on UK tv more so I can see some full games again. Even contemplating on buying a suns pass to watch them online.

Being in the playoffs will be great, getting through round 1 would be amazing.

Competing in round 2 or the finals would be a dream.

Winning it all is fantasy land (further removed than dream land;)
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Very excited. I'm actually glad the season is starting a month from now as opposed to the normal summer schedule. I still miss summer league but we'll see Paul, Crowder and Smith on the court for us that much sooner. Bubble boys Book, Cam, Mikal, DA, Carter, Payne all returning which gives us a lot of continuity and Paul and Crowder should find their way quick enough. Hoping we can just hit the ground running, avoid injuries and, ahem, suspensions and solidify our spot in the standings and not look back.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

I normally get excited for the season to start, I'm a hopeless romantic for the suns. They typically kill that vibe about ten games into the season when I see the are the typical suns. The bubble from last year, how we started the regular season last year, and all additions we have been making has me excited this year. I think we'll be a good basketball team this year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:32 am
I am interested. Like, actually looking forward to watch the games, actively thinking about ways to make the next leap, etc. I haven't had that in a long time. But I don't think we are more than a playoff contender. I see PHX as no guarantee to make the postseason and in no way already a lock, like I've seen tossed around. But I want to actually see what happens.

Also, it remains to be seen what happens with Saric/Baynes, from being let go, to used in a sign and trade. Probably will just keep Saric on a contract that is not absurd but feels a little like an overpay.
I’m curious who you think is a threat to keep us out of the playoffs. Now I understand anything can happen, but to me there is a clear top 8 in the west. Though I guess what Houston decides to do clouds things a bit.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:51 am
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:32 am

I’m curious who you think is a threat to keep us out of the playoffs. Now I understand anything can happen, but to me there is a clear top 8 in the west. Though I guess what Houston decides to do clouds things a bit.
LAL, LAC, DEN, DAL, UTA, POR, plus HOU as long as Harden is there (maybe even with just Westbrook and whatever they get back from an eventual Harden trade, plus their remaining pieces). That's seven. If somehow one or two west teams surprise and win more than expected (NOP, SAS, MEM), it could he hard.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I think the Lakers, Clips, Portland, Nuggets, Jazz are locks.

I think we're in the top of the next tier which will be fluid with GS, NOLA, Minny. I think Houston takes a step back and maybe misses the playoffs if they go off the rails. GS probably makes it but just isn't deep and will rely a ton on Curry, Oubre and Dray. The Mavs will be without KP who's their only real big so I expect them to take a step back depending on how much time he misses. They'll live and die by the jumper. The Grizz won't have JJJ and don't have a lot of depth as it is. The Pels should take a step forward as they've added to their roster and SVG will coach them up. They're strong on paper. Minny is up in the air but should make it. OKC and the Kings are bringing up the rear.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Oh yeah. I didn't even count GSW. If Curry is healthy it's hard to imagine them out of the playoffs.

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:18 am
I think the Lakers, Clips, Portland, Nuggets, Jazz are locks.

I think we're in the top of the next tier which will be fluid with GS, NOLA, Minny. I think Houston takes a step back and maybe misses the playoffs if they go off the rails. GS probably makes it but just isn't deep and will rely a ton on Curry, Oubre and Dray. The Mavs will be without KP who's their only real big so I expect them to take a step back depending on how much time he misses. They'll live and die by the jumper. The Grizz won't have JJJ and don't have a lot of depth as it is. The Pels should take a step forward as they've added to their roster and SVG will coach them up. They're strong on paper. Minny is up in the air but should make it. OKC and the Kings are bringing up the rear.
You think Minny should make the playoffs?

I think we’re every bit as good as any team outside of LA. How the season plays out is a different story, but I’d create a group of 5 that is essentially interchangeable(Denver, Portland, Phoenix, Utah, Dallas) GS and Houston are wild cards to me.

I don’t think NO got better. They downgraded from Jrue to Bledsoe. And I think downgraded again from Favors to Adams. But that might be a wash. Zion is the key. But I think they are a year away.

Grizz are also a year away. JJJ will miss the start and they didn’t look that good in the bubble and didn’t make any improvements to their roster.

Kings didn’t get better and lost Bogdan.

Wolves added talent, but I have no clue how that comes together. They look like they have 1 playable big man right now and that’s town. The rest are guards and wings...and not the type of wings that can play the 4 all that much.

Spurs are the Spurs. Boring, not that good.

Thunder will be awful.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea forgot about the Spurs. I think they miss the playoffs but can't discount them. Probably overrated Minny. Still think NOLA is tough with a Zion-Adams frontcourt and SVG coaching.

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Pels are the one team from the “bottom 5” that has a shot I think. They also didn’t look good in the bubble. But if Zion is healthy and Ingram is just as good as last year, they could be dangerous. The Bledsoe-Ball backcourt is pretty meh to me though. Wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to move Bledsoe at the deadline and let Kira Lewis take over.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Here’s my tiers:

Tier 1(Bonafide Contender):
Lakers
Clippers

Tier 2(Darkhorse Contenders):
Nuggets
Blazers
Suns
Mavs
Jazz

Tier 3(Wildcards)
Warriors
Rockets

Tier 4(Play-in hopefuls)
Pelicans
Wolves

Tier 5(Mediocre, non playoff teams)
Grizzlies
Spurs
Kings

Tier 6(Tanking)
Thunder

Out East I’d go...

Tier 1(Bonafide Contenders):
Nets
Bucks

Tier 2(Darkhorse Contenders):
Celtics
Heat

Tier 3(Playoff locks)
76ers
Pacers
Raptors

Tier 4(Play-in hopefuls)
Hawks
Hornets
Magic
Wizards

Tier 5(Mediocre, non playoff teams)
Bulls

Tier 6(Tanking)
Knicks
Cavs
Pistons

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:57 am
The Pels are the one team from the “bottom 5” that has a shot I think. They also didn’t look good in the bubble. But if Zion is healthy and Ingram is just as good as last year, they could be dangerous. The Bledsoe-Ball backcourt is pretty meh to me though. Wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to move Bledsoe at the deadline and let Kira Lewis take over.
Neither of Bled or Ball can play SG so it's kind of an odd pairing. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bledsoe come off the bench. They have Reddick and NAW as well at guard.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I’m not exactly sure how that guard rotation will play out. I bet there just hoping Lewis is a stud and can take the reigns soon.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I don't think we improved enough, but that won't stop me from being excited. I can't wait to watch Suns basketball again. There are more than a few players who are fun to root for on this team.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

Very excited, and the only thing tempering my excitement is the state of the world, not the state of the Suns. Been a really long time since that has happened.

I do not expect this team as constructed to be a shoe-in for the playoffs, but I feel very confident in them at least making the play-in games. If everything goes right (+90% achievement of or potential), I see us as a top 4 team out West. If things play out middle of the road (50%), I would say we are in a battle for 6-7-8 seeds right up until the last week or two.