Suns 2020-21 Media Day/Training Camp

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Suns 2020-21 Media Day/Training Camp

Post by ShelC »

Here's a special one for Saucy:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

DA said he's been working so hard since the bubble that he's not even worried about the results. Feels they will come naturally after being a professional and approaching his craft seriously.
This is the best thing I've heard in a long time. But again, it's just words. Let's see it on the court.

At least he's not saying he's worrying about his next contract anymore. Let's hope it was just a maturity issue with him.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I LOVE HIS WORDS. [this is 97% genuine, and only 3% of my sarcasm]

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

4 days a week, he was killing himself!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Glad guys like Book are acknowledging Rubio and what he did for us this past year.

Oatmeal

Post by Oatmeal »

If you listen to Ayton talk about himself you'd think he's David Robinson. Show it.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:48 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:43 pm
I'm fine with Ayton taking 16 to 20-foot jump shots if he's wide open and hitting around 45% of them like Amar'e did in most of his years as a Sun.
Sure, but he needs to use the shot to get better shots. Make people cover him there so he can attack the rim.
That was kind of my inferred point. The reason Amar'e was so open on those jumpers was in part due to defenders being afraid of being beaten off the dribble and dunked on. Ayton doesn't threaten defenders like that.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

England Sun

Post by England Sun »

I know DA always talks a good game but that’s the most dialled in I’ve seen him. Lots to be positive about and it looks specifically like Booker has taken time to sit him down and have ‘that’ conversation we all wanted to happen. He did it again once Paul was in the building and DA is ready to be ridden by CP3 which is exactly what he needs.

I watched Bookers just before this and was already excited to see what will come, this was the icing on the cake.
Call me an optimist, but I’m excited for the season.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

DA loves his words. KO loves himself

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:31 pm
DA said he's been working so hard since the bubble that he's not even worried about the results. Feels they will come naturally after being a professional and approaching his craft seriously.
This is the best thing I've heard in a long time. But again, it's just words. Let's see it on the court.

At least he's not saying he's worrying about his next contract anymore. Let's hope it was just a maturity issue with him.
Yep, he always kinda came across as someone who thought he was working hard, but never really had to work hard before in his life, so he didn’t really know how hard he was working.

I’m not sure what about the bubble opened his eyes, but maybe he’s realized what it means to actually work hard. I really hope that’s the case.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

England Sun wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:30 pm
I know DA always talks a good game but that’s the most dialled in I’ve seen him. Lots to be positive about and it looks specifically like Booker has taken time to sit him down and have ‘that’ conversation we all wanted to happen. He did it again once Paul was in the building and DA is ready to be ridden by CP3 which is exactly what he needs.

I watched Bookers just before this and was already excited to see what will come, this was the icing on the cake.
Call me an optimist, but I’m excited for the season.
Yeah, it seems like DA's narrative has changed from clueless to clued in.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'll wait until his game does his talking. Heard it all before.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:57 am
Here's a special one for Saucy:

Called out on the internet by DA himself.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:57 pm
I'll wait until his game does his talking. Heard it all before.
Same, and unfortunately I think it's more likely we see that he can't back up the talk this season. I'm still holding out hope though. I want him to be great.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm just expecting the same Ayton as before. Nothing wrong with it, but he sets himself up for criticism when he says the same BS hype stuff about being "locked in", "focused more than ever", "thought I was working hard before but now I'm REALLY working hard". Just be real and if anything, underplay things and keep it simple, "can't wait for the the season", "looking forward to playing with CP and raising my game", etc. It's no different than listening to the Woj pod and him talking about all this accountability and how he's learned so much from the suspension, only to miss a Covid test literally the next day in the bubble. Now he's a changed man since the bubble. Whatever. Just play.
Last edited by ShelC on Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

You're right. He tries so hard to be liked by everyone. That's a good personality quality to have, but winning basketball games has very little to do with how much other people like you.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:33 am
In2ition wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:48 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:24 am
I don't think Ayton has the hands to dribble. He can probably develop a move with one dribble and two steps, but not if there is a defender even remotely close.
What do you mean by this? I've seen him dribble, he's not uncapable. He just needs work.
He bobbles a lot of passes and he bobbles his dribble a lot, too. He can get probably better, but it seems like his hands are less coordinated than his feet.

Watch these bubble highlights. There are a few examples of dribble moves he's capable of, and also a few bobbles. Bear in mind, this is not a scouting video with strengths and weaknesses. This is his best.

1:21 - bobbles a pass, but is able to recover with a bit of dribbling in the post
1:58 - 1 dribble attack from the three point line
3:33 - 1 dribble in the post (after the pass bounces around in his hands)
4:59 - 1 dribble attack from the ft line
8:20 - 1 dribble to a long, wide open jump shot

Yes, I'm disputing that he's bobbled the ball or even misdribbled. I'm questioning how he doesn't have the hands to dribble. Like I said, he just needs work. It's not like post entry passes are big in the hs and college game anymore, and I doubt his coaches really worked on his dribble drive game, thinking shooting middies is where it's at for big men in the future. It takes a lot of work.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:50 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:37 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:29 am
If James Jones is still GM, I would not be surprised if LeBron finishes his career as a Phoenix Sun.
He just signed a 2 year extension with the Lakers.
Yeah, I meant either one final year or so in 2023-24 or if he gets bought out in the final year of his contract.
Last edited by JeremyG on Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Oatmeal wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:55 pm
If you listen to Ayton talk about himself you'd think he's David Robinson. Show it.
How old was David Robinson when he came into the league?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I’m not worried at all about Ayton. I get on him as much as anyone when I don’t think he is being as manly as I want him to be during games. His numbers say he is totally kicking ass and we don’t even think he’s trying. That’s frustrating I guess but, would you rather have a guy who fights really really hard and tries to dunk everything who puts up crappy numbers? Like I said, I’m not worried about Ayton. He has improved every year. Looking forward to seeing him improve again.