Suns 2020-21 Media Day/Training Camp

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns 2020-21 Media Day/Training Camp

Post by Split T »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Jevon looking jacked! Also loved his one word answer to what this team’s potential is.

"Be Legendary."

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Instead of posting another Jalen Smith video, I brought out the Mikal Bridges today.

The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

This is probably a dumb question. What are the protocols this season on Covid? The Bubble was a complete success. It doesn’t sound like there will be a bubble this time around and Covid is raging at least twice as bad as it was in the bubble. Are all the teams going to be flying all over the country and Canada all year?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Nodack wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:05 pm
This is probably a dumb question. What are the protocols this season on Covid? The Bubble was a complete success. It doesn’t sound like there will be a bubble this time around and Covid is raging at least twice as bad as it was in the bubble. Are all the teams going to be flying all over the country and Canada all year?
Toronto is playing in Tampa, but ya teams will just be playing in their home markets. They reduced travel a bit by scheduling a few series( back to back games in the same market). There are some restrictions for the players on what they are allowed to do away from basketball. Limited gatherings, not supposed to go to bars/clubs/indoor dining.

I don’t recall how often they are testing. I’m curious if they’ll get access to the vaccine at any time and how that might change protocol.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

And do we know if our arena renovations are complete? Any fans allowed to go to games?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Let’s do this!

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Here's an article outlining the protocols

https://www.nba.com/news/nba-establishe ... -21-season

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

• While in their team’s home market, team personnel will be prohibited from going to bars, lunges or clubs, from attending live entertainment or sports events, from using gyms, spas or pools, or from participating in social gatherings with more than 15 people.
Squats have always been better for avoiding COVID.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Nice article here on our guy Gallo. Think he'll have some good games for us on both sides of the ball. He and Moore both played in NOLA after Monty was out as coach, but Monty still notes the connection there (possible Bower connection there as well).

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 853613001/
“You’ll get one of the best human beings possible,” Detroit Pistons coach Dwane Casey said. “He and his family are beautiful people.” Way more. "Langston is a leader, he sets the tone in practice, he’s a shooter and he’s a competitor,” he added. “He’s a quiet competitor.” If you look at the person, I would have him on my team if the numbers were right,” Casey said. “I see Langston being a coach someday because he knows the game and how smart he is and one of the best community relations players. As a matter of fact, the human relations people jumped all over us because they lost Langston because he was so powerful in the community.”
“The reason why I picked Phoenix, it’s a young, up-and-coming team that’s really on the move and can really help me going forward,” said Galloway, who was with the Pistons when they were swept in 2019 by top-seeded Milwaukee in the first round. I really want to experience the playoffs and try to win a championship and I think this is the right organization to be with. Right coaching staff. Right players. It’s really a great fit for me so I was like, ‘Hey, let’s take my talents to Phoenix.’”

“The second unit, I think we can really be vicious,” Galloway said. “You’ll see a lot of energy. A lot of aggression. Trying to lockdown whoever we have to guard that night.”

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I didn't know much about LG before he signed with us. I thought he was just an undersized shooter. Now that I've studied up a little, I think he'll be our 3rd guard. He's a lights out shooter with a little floor game and good energy.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:41 am
And do we know if our arena renovations are complete? Any fans allowed to go to games?
Every team is doing their own thing. I have heard Memphis will be allowing something like 3-5k fans per game from the beginning. I have also heard that the Suns should announce something soon, but it will likely be no fans in attendance to start. But they are planning on full arena attendance for the playoffs (with hopes of a widely distributed vaccine ahead of the summer).

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

The risk level sounds much greater than in the bubble.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Good article on the guards and possible rotations/looks in the backcourt

https://arizonasports.com/story/2471114 ... n-phoenix/
When it comes to a specific guard coming off the bench, Williams focused on the concept of that guard often spending time playing alongside one of Paul or Booker. Who fits that role starts to lean more in the favor of someone like Moore, given what Williams said above.

It alludes to the possibility of Williams “staggering” his lead guards more often, meaning the coach is attempting to keep at least one of his two key players on the court at all times.

Here’s more from Williams on the bench guards’ role.

“You want to be able to see who can play with the first unit,” Williams said. “I always look at it in terms of who makes Devin’s job easier, who makes (Deandre Ayton’s) job easier, who can get Mikal the ball when he’s cutting to the basket and coming off screens. Or playing in pick-and-roll, if you can hit Mikal coming off a shakeup — those are the kinds of concepts that I’m looking for from guys that are going to be in those role positions.”

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

It’s a really crowded backcourt off the bench, going to be some hard decisions from Monty. I do think you need a consistent rotation and don’t like having guys play one game then not play for 3-4 with sporadic minutes. I think you have to take 2 of Payne, Carter, Moore and Galloway and give them all the opportunities to succeed. If it doesn’t work, then give all the minutes to the next guy.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I like Moore and Galloway, but given how well they played in the bubble, I think you should start out by assuming that Payne and Carter get the first dibs on the backup guard minutes unless they don't show up ready to play.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

What does this mean? Did he not report?
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Sounds like Jae's either got the 'rona or maybe can't practice or has to wait/isolate if he just got in market after signing?