Suns Record Predictions

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

How many games will the Suns win (assuming 72 games are played)?

>60
6%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
6%
55 (beats our best win % ever)
3%
3%
No votes
3%
No votes
11%
No votes
11%
9%
14%
6%
9%
No votes
42 (matches best win % of last 10 years)
6%
9%
3%
3%
No votes
37 (means we finally have a winning season)
No votes
No votes
35 (just beats last year's win %)
No votes
30-34
No votes
<30
No votes

Total votes: 35

carey

Re: Suns Record Predictions

Post by carey »

Looks like I'm the low man on the totem pole at 39. I did base my prediction off the fact that I thought it might take us a while to gel & that Chris Paul is going to rest *a lot.* There are a ton of back-to-backs because they are doing this thing where they play 2 games in a city on back-to-back nights to reduce travel. Oh, we also play in the same division as the reigning champs, the new look Warriors and Kawhi. I think there's a bit of battered wife syndrome going on with me as well. I just can't believe anything good will happen for the Suns. Waiting for the other shoe to drop...
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:22 am
Looks like I'm the low man on the totem pole at 39. I did base my prediction off the fact that I thought it might take us a while to gel & that Chris Paul is going to rest *a lot.* There are a ton of back-to-backs because they are doing this thing where they play 2 games in a city on back-to-back nights to reduce travel. Oh, we also play in the same division as the reigning champs, the new look Warriors and Kawhi. I think there's a bit of battered wife syndrome going on with me as well. I just can't believe anything good will happen for the Suns. Waiting for the other shoe to drop...
Division games don’t matter, everyone in the conference plays everyone else 3 times. And as an FYI, CP3 rested 1 game last year and it was in the bubble. Not saying we won’t rest him, but he doesn’t have a track record of doing that. More likely we just try to scale back his minutes.

Also, we don’t really have much turnover, CP3 is a seamless fit into Rubio’s minutes. That’s the only switch from the bubble rotation. Add Crowder, who I don’t see having any issues fitting in. I think we’ll be ready to go from day 1.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:
I'm having similar thoughts. I am trying to factor in the possibility of an injury to one of our important guys like CP3 or Book. And the strange season might cause us to lose a few random games. And maybe somebody gets COVID and misses a clump of games. And we're a young team with several new pieces to integrate. And the West is still brutal. Etc. etc. I'd love to see 46+ wins, but I'm hedging and saying 41 until they show me what they're made of.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:40 am
carey wrote:
I'm having similar thoughts. I am trying to factor in the possibility of an injury to one of our important guys like CP3 or Book. And the strange season might cause us to lose a few random games. And maybe somebody gets COVID and misses a clump of games. And we're a young team with several new pieces to integrate. And the West is still brutal. Etc. etc. I'd love to see 46+ wins, but I'm hedging and saying 41 until they show me what they're made of.
Chicken! <'Bone does the chicken dance>
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:14 am
Indy wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:11 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:48 am
Cap wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:05 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:02 pm

I think we are all wildly optimistic.
Vegas over-under is 38.5. I voted 50. And I’m the one always pitching “If you’re smarter than the betting markets, why aren’t you making money off them?”
Vegas thinks we will improve by 4 or 5 games? They must think Chris Paul is going to be injured a LOT.
That is a more than 10% improvement year-over-year. I am curious how often a team improves by more than that without signing/acquiring a top 5 MVP vote getter.
Look at Suns history then. There are examples.
Of course. I know it happens. But there are 30 teams every year, so 300 predictions in just the last decade alone. So far it has happened twice for us in that span (I think, didn't look it up). And I guess the vegas odds are not what they expect to actually happen, but trying to pick a spot where people that bet will be split between the over/under.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I voted 48. My concience kept wanting to go lower, but my heart wouldn't let me. I look at last year's OKC team and I think the Suns will be better than them.

I do feel that the team is very fragile. If Ayton or CP3 is out for an extended period, we might see that lack of size or ball handling.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

O_Gardino wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:03 pm
I voted 48. My concience kept wanting to go lower, but my heart wouldn't let me. I look at last year's OKC team and I think the Suns will be better than them.

I do feel that the team is very fragile. If Ayton or CP3 is out for an extended period, we might see that lack of size or ball handling.
I don’t know any team that isn’t vulnerable right now. Not being in a bubble is kinda risky, not just for games missed but players’s health.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I said 48, which is 55 in a normal season. And that's coming from someone who is still skeptical that the Chris Paul trade improves our team. I think just keeping the young group together would have resulted in close to that number of wins this season.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:39 am
carey wrote:
Division games don’t matter, everyone in the conference plays everyone else 3 times. And as an FYI, CP3 rested 1 game last year and it was in the bubble. Not saying we won’t rest him, but he doesn’t have a track record of doing that. More likely we just try to scale back his minutes.

Also, we don’t really have much turnover, CP3 is a seamless fit into Rubio’s minutes. That’s the only switch from the bubble rotation. Add Crowder, who I don’t see having any issues fitting in. I think we’ll be ready to go from day 1.
Solid points!
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

pickle

Post by pickle »

carey wrote:
I went 40... I am so much more optimistic than you carey!

The bolded line reflects how I've felt for the last ten years or so... thanks for reminding me that I still hate Sarver.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Looks like I'm right in the middle. I definitely think with Ayton playing a whole season, upgrade at PG, depth, players knowing their role, another yr of maturation by the core, and a yr experience with Monty, that this should be a big jump from last season. There are too many things going for them to not see this.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

On December 29, Monty Williams will be further into a second season as a non-interim Suns head coach than any Suns coach has been since 2014.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:12 am
On December 29, Monty Williams will be further into a second season as a non-interim Suns head coach than any Suns coach has been since 2014.
:evil:

We've gone through some bad coaches.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It's about time we're on the right track! I'd say we've been off the rails since 2010 after which Nash left the team. And the derailment started quite a bit before that.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:09 pm
It's about time we're on the right track! I'd say we've been off the rails since 2010 when Nash retired. And the derailment started quite a bit before that.
Nash retired in 2010?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:17 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:09 pm
It's about time we're on the right track! I'd say we've been off the rails since 2010 when Nash retired. And the derailment started quite a bit before that.
Nash retired in 2010?
Why are you putting words into my mouth? 8-)
"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

We are about a third of the way through the season and stand at 15-9. That puts the Suns on a 44ish win scenario falling into just about where most here thought they would. There is a lot of time left to suck or improve.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:19 pm
We are about a third of the way through the season and stand at 15-9. That puts the Suns on a 44ish win scenario falling into just about where most here thought they would. There is a lot of time left to suck or improve.
6 of us (me included) had them at over 50 wins--which equates to ~57 wins over a normal 82 game season. I am guessing they don't make that.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Indy wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:26 pm
Nodack wrote:
6 of us (me included) had them at over 50 wins--which equates to ~57 wins over a normal 82 game season. I am guessing they don't make that.
Honestly, If we could re-vote today, I would bet the over on 44 wins, and I don't know if 50 is completely out of the question.

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:40 pm
Indy wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:26 pm
Nodack wrote:
Honestly, If we could re-vote today, I would bet the over on 44 wins, and I don't know if 50 is completely out of the question.
I think that is just the current win streak talking. A week ago we had just lost by over 20 points to the Pels.